Track Days...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 05:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Days...

Everyone says if you wanna play hard on your bike that the track is the place to do it...but I have no idea where the closest track is to me (Jacksonville, NC). If and when I do find a track that I could go ride on...how does it work? Do i have to change anything about my bike to ride in on the track? Do I have to pay entrance/riding fees or something...as im already sure I need all protective gear.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Track Days...

yes, you have to do some prepping of the bike, like taping up all parts that can shatter, no running coolant, full leathers, gloves, helmet, safety wire, etc...but it really depends on the sponsor. not sure where there's a track out in NC, but there are quite a few out there! maybe northeast or something.

you pay your fees, then sign up for the group you want to ride in (most likey beginner). then you go and have a blast!

too bad winter is coming so i'm sure the northeast tracks are closed.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:40 PM

Well atm i dont have full leathers, and yes winter time BLOWS!!! Just an idea my dad and I were talkin about bc he doesnt want me playin around on the streets....he says the same thing "take it to the track". Friend just wrecked his bike, he was wearing all his leathers and came out perfectly fine....so Ive been thinkin of alot of self christmas presents b4 next spring lol. Is that tape you were talkin about whats all over your bike in those pictures? Hard to get off?

Old 10-24-2006, 04:25 PM

You'll have to look for an organization near your area, I would go to the local shop and ask some of the guys there who, if anyone, you can do track days with.. Once you find out who they are you can contact them for all the rules and regulations.

As far as riding on the street, just keep the throttle civilized and you should be fine.. Be on the look out for cars pulling out from side streets and intersections, ASSUME they do not see you and proceed past them with caution. At red lights always keep an eye on your mirrors checking for people approaching too fast at you. And do not ride in cars blind spots! These are the little things I do to stay alive. Then on the track, tape up the lights, lose the mirrors and ride your *** off!!!!!

EDIT TO SAY!
And don't assume you're safe on the race track either!!! Last track day I was at 3 people went down hard, IMO the track is a safer place to race then the street. Plus its cool to hang out with all your buds that into track days as well!! THUMBS UP FOR TRACK DAYS!!

Old 10-24-2006, 04:45 PM

NESBA (NorthEast Sport Bike Assoc.) has an introductory track experiance that is FREE and doesn't require anything more than taped lights and leathers. It's one very controlled session in the morning for about 20mins. Just to test the water. If you want to keep riding for the rest of the day, you pony up the full day/weekend amount and keep going.

TD organizations have their regulations that you must follow, but the track regs trump those in nearly every case. If NESBA says Etholglycol/mix is ok, but the track says straight water, it's straight water, no if ands or butts about it. I've never heard of a Safety wire reg for track days, but i haven't been all over the world to every track so meh... if that's what it says in the rules and regulations, so be it. that is 100% required reading before you hit the track.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:59 PM

trackdays rock!
check out TrackdayCentral to find a track near you

Old 10-24-2006, 11:23 PM

BARBER MOTORSPORTS PARK..... Go there.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:43 PM

Keep in mind when look at Track Day orgs, look for a few things like
Ambulances on site
Cornerworkers at ALL corners.

Don't discount the importance of these things, some orgs get away without them but I'd rather pay more just to know the cornerworkers are there and when (not if) I do go down and get hurt there is medical attention right there. So if they don't have them Don't go.

Nesba and Sportbike Track Time are two of the best out there.

And yea the track is dangerous too, but you don't have to worry about road hazards.... Trust me I broke my collar bone [:@] 1/2 way thru this race season during a morning practice, because of my own stupidity, and ruined the rest of my race season.

RoadRacing World also publishes a trackday guide that lists dates, orgs, track, and other info (also in teh back of each moths magizane). Its a good source, but I'd wait untill they print the next years.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:05 AM

To make you all jealous! I live in Central California and have access to 5 different tracks that are within 2-5 hours from my house.

Laguna Seca
Willow Springs
Buttonwillow Raceway Park
Reno-Fernley
Thunderhill Park
Infineon Raceway
California Speedway

I can't count, it is 7 different tracks! There will be a new track with 45min of my house in 2008!

Old 10-25-2006, 08:17 PM

ive heard barber is intimdating......but on the up side they seem to always have a great crew to ansewer newb questions and help you out

Quick Reply: Track Days...