total noob seeking enlightment

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default total noob seeking enlightment

hey guys. i'm a total noob to the motorcycle world. i have been looking at some posts that were put on here by other people so i'm not going to ask the ever stupid questions.

i would like to get a RR as my first bike. i know a lot of you said that it is a bad ideea and that people can't control themselves, but i'm more dilligent with that kind of stuff. i will take the rider training course so that i can pass my road test and get some driving experience. i also totally understand the dangers of havinga motorcycle. i read some of the posts and i noticed that the majority of the accidents that took place were becasue the person was not careful or tried somehting outside their skill level.
i'm 21 and am planning on using to bike to go to school and arround town. again i know some of you might recomend me something else but i think i would really enjoy this bike.

i passed on the R6 jsut for the reason that it is to fast or faster then the RR (stack that is) and becasue i wanted something that would last me for a longer time. the guy @ the dealership said that honda's are better at that.

anyway, my question is: WHAT ACCESSORIES SHOULD I GET AS A BEGINNER?

i already looked this up on the board and i thought that sliders would be a good ideea. also of course a gull protective gear is in order as well.

also if anybody has any suggestions on WHAT I SHOULD BE WATHCHING FOR WHEN BUYING A RR?

as i said before i don't know anything about morotcycles so i don't know how to look for "lemons". i just want to make sure that if i buy a used bike, the person that used it before did not smack it arround and treated it like crap.

i know there are a lot of knowledgeble people on here so i will take your advice. but please no noob smack talk, we all have to start somewhere and a little encouragement never hurts.

so cheers

PS: i was thinking of getting a 2005 model just becasue the advancements that were made on it comapred to the previous years (no offence to previous year owners)
PS2: i'm from BC canada, if anybody has somemore local info

Old 08-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Default RE: total noob seeking enlightment

If you are just starting out I would just get cosmetic things. There is no reason for someone with no experience to get any upgrades in power, only in looks.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:04 PM

ooo ya totally, but i just ment things that will keep me and my bike safe, like sliders and chain lock.
the bike already has enough power for a beginner, god forbid if i add more to it

Old 08-10-2006, 08:16 PM

30 horsepower is more than enough for a beginner.. the 06 r6 is marginally qiucker than the rr, like ive said before, its like splitting hairs, and the rr is not really a safe alternative to the r6. i can appreciate that you may be more responsible than some when it comes to this sort of thing. but thats not really the deciding factor on wether or not a 600 supersport bike is a smart choice, they say your first 500 miles on any bike, not just your first, are the most dangerous. you have to learn how sensitive the controlls are (more often than not the hard way on your first bike). its experience, which you've said you have none. and emergency avoidance skills, which this bike is capable of waaaay more than most anyone is capable of taking it. if you ask the bike to do something the wrong way, you're gonna get off, period.

anyway, enough of that, nobody likes to hear that kinda ****, but hey, i worry:-p

welcome to motorcycling. there's nothing else like it. i wish you luck in the learning process, and im sure you've been told a million times before, but be careful! i know you'll love your rr, whenever you get it. and if you take your time and learn its ins and outs, i promise you'll be able to whoop the **** out of most any douchebag on his shiny new (OMG OMG) r6

my suggestion, spend the money and get good safety gear, protect you before your bike. then sliders would be a good cheap investment.

as far as not wanting to buy a trash bike, just use the same basic mechanic wit you yould use when buying a car, make sure all of the electric system works, make sure the bike starts easily, runs good without any strange noises (if it runs like sht, something is really wrong, because after all, it's a honda) check brake pads, tire wear, just to see how much you'll need to spend on it after you buy it.
on ths plus side, you dont have to worry about the a/c, or window motors crapping out on you like you would a car, lol

good luck again!

Old 08-10-2006, 09:49 PM

I'd suggest going with a friend who does have some know-how on bikes to go check out prospects with you. Get good gear, especially the helmet, some sliders and go slow. Welcome to a whole new world of fun.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:27 PM

Gotta tell ya, buy your bike, Keep it stock. I've made too many mistakes listening to people tell me what "I want". Definitaley take a rider course and WEAR YOUR HELMET and Safety Gear. Falling off a bike hurts and will ruin your day, I Know!!!

Old 08-11-2006, 12:32 PM

Leather Jacket
Quality Helmet
Stiff boots
Leather, full gauntlet style gloves
Strong sturdy pants

That's what you want for everyday riding, every time. if you low side, your pants and hands are going to get the brunt of the pavement abrasion. what you see on the internet is no lie, people really slide hundreds of feet on the pavement. Id rather have something OTHER than my skin being ground down if i ever wreck out. The helmet will keep your brains from being scrambled too much, and the boots will keep your anckles from snapping in twain. the jacket is more for the arms and back which if see any action is severe.

I'll tell you what i think of all this CBR for my first bike CRAP. I've seen bike wrecked in the dealer parking lot becasue the bike was bought for other reasons besides fit and skill. the CBR is no laughing matter. 105+ RWHP on a bike that weighs maybe 540 with rider. do the math. that's an increadible amount of thrust. And it comes QUICK. i'll tell you right now, the CBR will go from 0-65mph in less than 3 seconds, IN FIRST GEAR. that can be 0-panic in less than one second. you HAVE to have dedicated throttle control on this bike. if you aren't motorcycle savy, or diligent, this bike will toss you like a rag doll. If you don't have what it takes, you're going to be sorry, really sorry. and then your mother will say, "I told you not to get that motorcycle!". and that's AFTER you suffer the embarasment of totalling out your 9000 bike in front of 20 people, and suffering the ambulance trip to the hospitol and making your entire family worry about you. who wants that?

Get a small twin, like a Suzuki GS500F or Kawasaki EX500R, trade it in after a year of riding the **** out of it and THEN buy an I4 600. you'll thank yourself, i guarantee it.

Old 08-12-2006, 03:16 AM

Ya know slugger..im wit you...i rode a 89 Huuricane for 7 years and towards the end...i was in it..ALOT..then i got an 03 RR...WOW...if your new an RR is a good but bad idea.Sounds like your tenative and an RR at 85 mph isnt tenative.I would get an older model somethinh that is a lil more forgiving if you should happen to wander past 8k on the tac...best of luck and welcome to the forum...and above all...GEAR UP

Old 08-12-2006, 12:10 PM

for sure. if you REALLY want an CBR, then get an F2.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:18 PM

^^^^^^^some good advice. like i was saying i feel the same way these guys do, and i really meant it when i said that 30 horsepower is more than enough for a beginner.

Quick Reply: total noob seeking enlightment