Time for new tires and new oil on the graffiti : )

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for new tires and new oil on the graffiti : )

So the bike has 5,500 miles on it right now and has the stock horrible tires...I am also unsure to as WHAT kind of oil was put in it when I rode it off from the dealership at 3,000 miles. When I asked via email they wrote back "We use 10W40 regular oil in sportbikes" Need less to say I'm switching over to a full syn. I know that starting in 07 the manual calls for a lighter/thinner operating temp 30 weight due to gas mileage but I live in Arizona and I feel more comfortable running a 40 weight for when that oil get hot.

I'm going with an OEM filter but I'm torn between these two oils...which would you choose? and why?

---3Qts---
1. Honda HP4S 10W30
2. Mobil i Racing 4T 10W40

Both are full syn's, one a 30 weight and the other a 40 weight

As for the tires, even though I always go with regular ole pilot powers, I think I'm sold on the pilot pures. Seems that the pures are about as sticky as you can get and people are seeing about the same wear out of them for normal streetriding. Only drawback is the rear is $183 and the front $158!

Anybody have any experience with pilot pures?

Old 11-16-2011, 05:55 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Blake, I can't comment on the pures as I have not used them on either of my bikes. As for the oil you should be fine with 10W40. I would go with what brand is less expensive because either brand it's going to preform just fine. I'm going with royal purple cause my buddy can get it for cheap.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:38 PM

I use Honda HP4S in our motocross bikes and my 600. Have had no issues to date and our motocross bikes are raced nearly every weekend. They spend a lot of time at or on the rev limiter (14k rpm). The Mobil should be good as well but I have no experience with it.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by 600F4inoober
As for the tires, even though I always go with regular ole pilot powers, I think I'm sold on the pilot pures. Seems that the pures are about as sticky as you can get and people are seeing about the same wear out of them for normal streetriding. Only drawback is the rear is $183 and the front $158!
It seems you aren't shopping in the right places.

Michelin Power Pures (set) 120/70 & 180/55 -- $239 shipped

Also, I recommend Amsoil full synthetic 10w40. It is very affordable compared to other "high end" oils and performs the same if not better. Really its subjective but all in what you feel is worth it.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:06 PM

Thanks everyone/Ryan - I'm gonna stick with what I know, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40

As for the tires, I'd LOVE to run the pures (and thanks Andy for the link $240 shipped is amazing) but since I'm so inpatient (to wait for shipping) I may just run my ole regular pilot powers if the local cyclegear has em for cheap enough!

Old 11-18-2011, 02:03 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by andyriot
Also, I recommend Amsoil full synthetic 10w40. It is very affordable compared to other "high end" oils and performs the same if not better.
True that. Amsoil is a great oil and I ran it in my F4i and my RR up to this point. The only place around me that carries it wants $14/qt and I my buddy can get Royal Purple for $8 so I will take that saving and put it toward the new pipe fund.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:31 PM

Thanks everyone/Ryan - I'm gonna stick with what I know, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40

As for the tires, I'd LOVE to run the pures (and thanks Andy for the link $240 shipped is amazing) but since I'm so inpatient (to wait for shipping) I may just run my ole regular pilot powers if the local cyclegear has em for cheap enough!
No problem! Honestly, it sounds like you've already decided in your head to go locally, but I highly suggest STG -- If you call Jason he will have your tires shipped out that very same day, at your door in no more than a couple days. Their customer support is top notch and the deals they give are incredible.

Originally Posted by R Dub
True that. Amsoil is a great oil and I ran it in my F4i and my RR up to this point. The only place around me that carries it wants $14/qt and I my buddy can get Royal Purple for $8 so I will take that saving and put it toward the new pipe fund.
Thats a bit high for Amsoil agreed, I think I pay $11/qt -- again though its all in what you feel is worth it. I ran Rotella in my '06 because I didn't care as much, but with my '07 being as mint as it is I decided it was worth it to treat it right (for what its worth). Oil is such a highly debated subject

Old 11-19-2011, 03:10 PM

Thanks guys. Andy I may have to call Jason at STG at $240 shipped! Where do they ship out of? MS? I've done my homework and seen the michelin videos etc. but what's the major difference between regular ole pilot powers and the new pilot pures? Thay both seem pretty damn sticky. Maybe just dual compound versus single?

As for the oil, I was decided on the Mobil 1 Racing 4T but when I got to the dealership, Amsoil full syn 10W40 was right next to it on the shelf and was cheaper! After reading the back of the Amsoil bottle, it seems they REALLY made this oil specific to our bikes!

Here she is after her Amsoil oil change! 3 Qts. OEM Filter.

Name:  2011-11-19130733.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  90.2 KB

Name:  2011-11-19140534.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  75.8 KB

Name:  2011-11-19140541.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  97.7 KB

Old 11-20-2011, 10:22 AM

Thanks guys. Andy I may have to call Jason at STG at $240 shipped! Where do they ship out of? MS? I've done my homework and seen the michelin videos etc. but what's the major difference between regular ole pilot powers and the new pilot pures? Thay both seem pretty damn sticky. Maybe just dual compound versus single?

This is a good chart to get an idea of the differences between their lineup. You are correct the original Pilot Powers are a single compound tire, which in this day and age is old school IMO. I would atleast go for the Pilot Power 2CT's as they are a dual compound and should last longer than the previous.

Anyways, you can see on the chart that the Power 2CT's don't have near as much soft compound as the Power Pure's do. That could be taken as both good and bad possibly -- Pure's being good because it heats up quickly and is nice and sticky with that soft compound, but they may wear out slightly quicker than the Power 2CT's which have more of the medium compound. Granted, don't take that last line for truth because I have no personally compared the two for longevity.

I'd say you will be fine with either the 2CT's or the Pure's. Any new set of tires is gonna feel great haha.

Also if you aren't too brand-loyal then STG also has the Dunlop Q2's at $218 shipped I believe. Can save a couple more dollars and still have a great dual compound tire that everyone seems to be raving about recently.

As for the oil, I was decided on the Mobil 1 Racing 4T but when I got to the dealership, Amsoil full syn 10W40 was right next to it on the shelf and was cheaper! After reading the back of the Amsoil bottle, it seems they REALLY made this oil specific to our bikes!
Good choice of oil!

Old 11-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andyriot
It seems you aren't shopping in the right places.

Michelin Power Pures (set) 120/70 & 180/55 -- $239 shipped

Also, I recommend Amsoil full synthetic 10w40. It is very affordable compared to other "high end" oils and performs the same if not better. Really its subjective but all in what you feel is worth it.
You my friend just saved me some mula. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Time for new tires and new oil on the graffiti : )