Is there anything I can do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there anything I can do?

I pulled a bitch-move not once but twice the other day. I hung my helmetoff of the right handlebar to go into a store and start to walk away, then CRACK!!!! I look back and my helmet is rolling around on the street. I go back and pick it up all pissed off and go to hang it again on that handle bar, this time making sure it is nicely in place. I come out of the store a couple minutes later and my helmet is on the ground. So now I have these scrathes, scuffs and divets in my gloss black helmet and they bother me like a bastard. Is there any way to deal with them other than just slapping on a sticker or taking out a sharpie?

Old 01-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Default RE: Is there anything I can do?

Hanging the helmet like that is always a bad idea. Just take it with you.

My MSF instructor recomended putting it on the ground, in the little nook that's created under the bike when you turn the bars all the way right to lock them. that way it's out of th eway and doesn't get kicked arround if someone comes over to check out your bike.
But I don't like leaving it on the ground, so I just take it with me whenever I stop anywhere.

You could just repaint the whole thing, (either taking it to an auto body shop, or rattle canning it) but I'm guessing that's not what you had in mind. Or you could get that dupli color touch up paint (the one that's not spray) and touch it up yourself. Autozone (and that kind of shop0 and Walmart (on the auto section ) sells it

Old 01-12-2008, 02:56 PM

Arai recommends having the helmet inspected after it is dropped to be sure the helmet is still structurally sound. You ship it to them and they test it and I've heard they'll even replace worn parts for free and ship it back to you. Not sure if Shoei has the service dept. that ARai does but it wouldn't hurt to check into it.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:42 PM
RCR

ORIGINAL: Papi Chingon

Is there any way to deal with them other than just slapping on a sticker or taking out a sharpie?
Buy a new helmet and quit hanging it off your bars. I too have done this and learned the hard way just like you. I always lock it on the bike with the supplied hook or take it with me.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:52 PM

+1 I spent over $600 on my new helmet. I'm not about to leave it unattended. I dropped my first Shoei about eight years ago. I bought a new one. Wasn't going to trust that it was going to protect my head after that. I would by a new one, but that's me.

ORIGINAL: RCR

ORIGINAL: Papi Chingon

Is there any way to deal with them other than just slapping on a sticker or taking out a sharpie?
Buy a new helmet and quit hanging it off your bars. I too have done this and learned the hard way just like you. I always lock it on the bike with the supplied hook or take it with me.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:55 PM

"Hanging the helmet like that is always a bad idea. Just take it with you."

yes, i learned this the hard way. understood, 10-4, roger that

"My MSF instructor recomended putting it on the ground"

not a chance in hell i'm putting my helmet on the dirty ground where cars have dripped oil, people spit, grimey chewing gum...

"Buy a new helmet and quit hanging it off your bars. I too have done this and learned the hard way just like you. I always lock it on the bike with the supplied hook or take it with me."

**** that, i'm not buying a new helmet just because it dropped 3 feet from the ground (if that). i won't be hanging it off my bars anytime soon either. i haven't located the hook that you are talking about, but normally i just take my helmet with me wherever i go so everyone can ooooo and ahhhh at the cool guy with the helmet.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:31 PM

Helmets are generally designed to be impacted once. The foam inside compresses on impact which saves your egg, dropping it from 3 feet could compress the foam enough that if you hit your head next time the foam won't protect.

Send it out for inspection or buy a new helmet. Otherwise, you're just putting yourself at major risk.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:01 PM

Some Helmet manufacturers these day are recommending that "If a helmet is dropped froman average persons waist line, onto a hard surface, that helmet is no longer safe to use, even if it does not leave a visable mark". Being that your drops most definately left a mark, I'm pretty sure that the inner foam has been comprimised. I would highly recommend getting a new helmet.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:18 PM

FYI,

I went to the Shoei Support Web Site:
http://www.shoei-helmets.com/road/m_main.aspx

Here is what they recommend -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helmet Replacement
Ultimately, the useful service life of a safety helmet is dependent on the intensity and frequency of its use. Helmet replacement is recommended even if only one of the under-mentioned points applies:

The helmet was subjected to an impact.
The comfort padding or the retention system has become loose due to heavy use or display signs of deterioration.
The synthetic foam padding displays signs of heavy use and the helmet feels too loose. Test: with the retention system fastened, the helmet turns to the side when you gently shake your head.
There are indentations in the EPS liner and/or white scratches can be seen on surfaces with black paint.
Even if none of these is applied, we, SHOEI, recommend replacement in 5 years after it's first purchased at retail.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, but your helmet is trash man. If you get a new one, some companies actually have insurance for these kind of accidents.