Sprocket size TOO MUCH??? Need imput

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprocket size TOO MUCH??? Need imput

I have an '04 CBR 600rr and have one tooth down on the front sprocket!! I just ordered three up in the back, do you think this is to much?

Old 12-01-2006, 11:24 PM
Default RE: Sprocket size TOO MUCH??? Need imput

?????????Just bear i mind that you'll be putting alot of strain on ur chain, motor , bearings and internals. depends on how long you want ur bike to last really i guess. keep in mind the bike was'nt designed for too much mods like this sounds like fun though

Old 12-01-2006, 11:28 PM

^what are u even talking about. that's retarded.

ss bikes are meant to have the **** beaten out of them. they are RACE bikes

Old 12-02-2006, 03:12 AM

you'll have a faster acceleration and you'll also notice the front end will come up a bit easier. Normally people do -1/+2 sprocket change, but be warned, changing your front or rear sprockets or change the rear tire height that's not stock will affect your speedo. Going +3 in the back will still be streetable, but it will also reduce your top speed since doing sprocket change affects your final gearing. My friend just got a 72 tooth rear sprocket, but he has an extra rim with a +4 rear sprocket. This way he can swap the chain and rear rim when he needs the bike to be streetable. We actually got done playing with the bike earlier tonight (1st time) and we were all surprised about how easy it picks up.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:26 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: toyotafj40s

^what are u even talking about. that's retarded.

ss bikes are meant to have the **** beaten out of them. they are RACE bikes
No, they're street bikes inspired by race bikes........and they last longer with fewer problems when you leave the **** in them. lol.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:57 AM

until you start putting enough strain on the motor to where it starts to sheer the transmission gears, I wouldn't worry about extra wear issues. Chain will loosen over time, but it really depends on how you use the bike, fast acceleration and wheelies will put excessive amounts of stress on the chain in relatively short periods of time. As long as you keep up with normal bike maintenance, it'll be fine, considering that they can got 100k+ just like car engines.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:11 PM

I have a friend that did +3 in the back and he said it was borderline driveable. Meaning that if you are going to ride your bike around on the street in that kind of atmosphere it may be a lil much. Not that im sayin your bike cant handle it.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:28 AM

ORIGINAL: MisterBasket

I have a friend that did +3 in the back and he said it was borderline drivable. Meaning that if you are going to ride your bike around on the street in that kind of atmosphere it may be a lil much. Not that im sayin your bike cant handle it.
Nah, it's totally drivable. As long as you don't go above a -1/+9 setup, they'll be still street worthy enough to get around town and ride on the highways at 70 without being too high of revs. Your front end will pick up on full acceleration in 1st, 2nd and possibly 3rd gear without you doing anything

Old 12-04-2006, 03:08 PM

I think everyone has missed the all important question. What are you trying to get out of it and what is themain purpose of your bike? Is it used for stunting, track, canyons, or just everyday commuting. Everything also has to do with how much money you have at your disposal. Sportbikes are a very expensive hobby as anyone that has been riding for a while knows already. My advice to you is to contact a shop and seek the expertise and experience they have due to the fact that working on motorcycles are what they do for a living. While asking your peers is a good way to obtain information I think it is always best to seek information from the professional.