Speedohealers

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedohealers

Yes, their is alot of information on this forum already about speedohealers, but inorder to simplify and clarify a few things I'm making a new post, so please don't hate me .

I'm trying to get a general feel for how everyone is tuning their speedohealer. I see alot of people using gps systems to get the best accuracy. Is that the norm or are their people out their calculating it through spreadsheets? I personally have no access to a GPS, so thats a major problem in my attempt to buy a speedohealer. I'm dropping a tooth in the front, and figure it's a good excuse to buy one, but not if I can't tune it. Also, where is the suggested mounting position for it? Our bikes are already a bit cramped for storage, so I just want to make sure its not going where something else already is (i.e. power comander)

Thanks guys!

Old 07-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Default RE: Speedohealers

I put the unit in the battery compartment under the seat. Seems to be fine in there. The cable is long enough to put in the tail section as well. To calibrate I had my girlfriend drive her car to 70mph then I went the same speed and I compared the two numbers. I'll recalibrate when I get a GPS unit.

Old 07-06-2006, 02:01 AM

I just installed mine today. This is how I came to calibrate it:

I first used the online calculator located on the SpeedoHealer.com site using my gearing (-1/+2, dont read my sig its wrong atm) and approximated tire wear which gave me something around 17% off.

Then I had my Dad and a few friends pace me at various speeds. Also, it helped that my neighbors called the police and complained and had a radar-machine temporarily placed at the end of my block (the ones that show you your speed). So I passed it at different speeds and noted the difference from actual. I got something around 16%.

Finally, I went back to the SpeedoHealer site and input the actual vs. observed speed that I noticed occured the most precisely during the pacing routines. I had a reading of 70mph vs. the actual speed of 60mph. Difference was 16.7%, which sounded on the money to me. I checked it by having people pace me again after the install and it is just about dead on at any speed.

Also, as far as location goes, I put it in the same spot everyone else seems to put it - right under the rear seat. Plus I got the external speed recall button cable (I highly recommend it for some fun) and ziptied it with the included ties to the throttle cable housing just above the trees so I can reach in easily during my ride and check the top speed if I want to.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:07 PM

if it helps i also had just -1/0 and using gps i calculated 9.1% and that got me realy close. now that i have changed my rear sprocket i will have to program it again. also i mounted my speedohealer unit on the rear corner of the insode of the left mid fairing slightly behind the water hose and used velcro to atach it to the plastic there. i can reach the top speed recal button great there. i can try to sost pics if you are interested.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:53 AM

thanks guys. 9.1% seems like a great place to start. I'm going to go through the process of adamscottmartin to calibrate it, and average that with 9.1. The inside of the left fairing seems like a good place for me since my tail is already a little full. If you can post up some pics that would be awesome. It would give me a better idea where to mount it.