Sorry...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sorry...

ORIGINAL: Bullittrr

^^ +1 on the weak welds, ive heard this myself.
Heard it where? On the internet? Must be true then!!!!111

That's funny, I've heard of a few crashes resulting in breaks like that but there are soooo many gixxers out there. It's not like you're guaranteed a broken frame by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Rog1

in my experience the reason ur no gonna typically get head shake out of a gsxr is because they have a built in dampener i have an aftermarket dampener on my bike and ive never had head shake since
The newer CBR's come with a steering dampener as well... just thought i would point that out.

I've also rode on my friends gsxr 750, I took it out once and that was enough for me. it was a quick bike and fun to ride, but it felt alot "cheaper"then the CBR. The honda's seem to be built alot better. more quality.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks alot guys, hopefully I will be going to dealer soon to do my test drive (and buy). Power is not my main concern, like bapishere said you shouldnt see full power on the street anyways. We let you know when and which bike I get when it happens. Might be awhile, got alot of other things that cost money, like two young children lol. Thanks again for input.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:52 PM

I have both a 2008 GSXR-600 (bought in May) and a 2008 CBR600RR (bought in October). Bought the GSXR because it was about $2000 cheaper than the CBR, then the CBR prices came down so I gave the GSXR to my husband and bought the CBR for myself.

Overall, The GSXRis a decent bike, but I had big problems with it losing power (do a google search for GSXR losing power and you'll see the problems). Suzuki replaced the O2 sensor and the problem seems to have gone away but now there is a rubbing sound I need to have checked out... Overall it's not the best built bike but it is easy and fun to ride.

The CBR feels like it has a lot more power than the GSXR. It is a very smooth ride and I prefer it to the Suzuki. I think it is also a better looking bike.

The only differences in the display are the GSXR has a gear indicator and the CBR has a gas gauge.

Good luck in your choice. My opinion is that you can never really go wrong with a Honda.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: TheX

ORIGINAL: Bullittrr

^^ +1 on the weak welds, ive heard this myself.
Heard it where? On the internet? Must be true then!!!!111

That's funny, I've heard of a few crashes resulting in breaks like that but there are soooo many gixxers out there. It's not like you're guaranteed a broken frame by any stretch of the imagination.
Yes...on the internet...

I never have info from real life experiences, also didn't say that...ah nvm..

Old 12-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: f3racer

heres the thing, suzuki gsxr has more power but is heavier. honda a little less power but much lighter. honda just plain looks better. in my opinion. i forgot which mag and what month but if you research the mags they say the cbr feels like a 750. then they did a test, 1098 vs gsxr 750 vs cbr 600 rr. cbr had a 2/10 of a second slower lap time than the 1098 and a 1/2 second faster time than the gsxr.
Here is a test between a Ninja 1000 / GSXR 750 / CBR 600 from Sport Rider Magazine. I hope this helps.

Honda CBR600RR vs. Kawasaki ZX-10R vs. Suzuki GSX-R750 Comparison Test - Small, Medium Or Large Which One Takes Charge?

The Year's Comparison-Test Winners Go Head-To-Head For The Bike Of The Year Crown.[/align] By Andrew Trevitt[/align] Photography by Kevin Wing, Brian J. Nelson, Adam Campbell[/align] [/align] [/align] [/align][/align]The three editors crowd around the conference table, the detritus of a long day and evening strewn about the sparsely furnished room. Reams of spreadsheets and evaluation forms cover every spare surface, but the results point to a disastrous conclusion. "We can't have a tie," stresses the grizzled veteran of hundreds of comparison tests. "One bike has to win!" The nerdy one looks up from his laptop, confusion evident in his eyes even behind bottle-bottom glasses: "But all the data . . . it's a tie, I tell you."I have a magic-8 ball," offers the new recruit hopefully. "It always gets me out of a pickle." The veteran looks scornfully at the innocent youngster. "We'll do this scientifically, as always!" He reaches into his pocket, pulls out a coin and tosses it in the air . . .Okay, so that's not the way we really decide Bike of the Year, but with the final tallies close enough to throw a postage-stamp-sized blanket over, we may as well have saved a lot of work and trouble by picking the winner with a coin toss. Our three contenders-the Honda CBR600RR, Kawasaki ZX-10R and Suzuki GSX-R750-all put in solid performances that left our testing crew speechless at times. Each of the three machines has been covered in these pages previously, and each has shown its merit by already winning a comparison test. The Honda-the only carryover model here-emerged victorious in our July issue's middleweight smackdown ("Balancing Act"), the Kawasaki won our literbike shootout ("Turn it up to 11," June '08) and the Suzuki bested the Ducati 848 in their matchup ("Expect the Unexpected," August '08).We've spent plenty of time aboard all three bikes individually this summer, and to choose bike of the year we spent a day with all three together in the canyons surrounding Los Angeles and a day at Buttonwillow Raceway Park in the San Joaquin valley. Our three full-time staffers were joined by part-timer Jim "Lucky" O'Connor, with all four riders rating each bike at both venues. Given the disparate nature of the three bikes-the ZX-10R has almost 60 horsepower more than the Honda-the scores and lap times are unexpectedly close, giving us plenty of grief when it came time to pick the winner.

Honda CBR600RR
Test Notes

+ Peppy engine refuses to believe it's a 600
+ Jewel-like chassis works great for everyone
- No slipper clutch- Soft brakes fade after extended use
x This bike will make you a better rider
SUGGESTED SUSPENSION SETTINGS
FRONT Spring preload: 10 turns out from full stiff; rebound damping: 2.5 turns out from full stiff; compression damping: 2 turns out from full stiff; ride height: 5mm fork tube showing above triple clamp
REAR Spring preload: position 6 from full soft; rebound damping: 2 turns out from full stiff; compression damping: 14 clicks out from full stiff[/align][/align]On The Street
Honda CBR600RR: 89.3

While the little Honda brings up the rear on our testers' scorecards for canyon riding, subjectively the street results are much closer. Even after riding all three bikes for months and riding them back-to-back on some of Southern California's best roads, none of our riders was willing to point to a favorite at the end of the day without some serious thought. Not surprisingly, the CBR loses out to the Kawasaki and Suzuki in engine power but the feisty mill acquits itself well on the street with impressive midrange power that feels stronger than even the GSX-R's in tighter corners. And that power is delivered impeccably well, with an effortless off/on throttle transition and smooth response at practically any rpm.Likewise as expected, the Honda fared well in the chassis department against the bigger bikes. 35 pounds lighter than the Suzuki and 50 pounds lighter than the ZX-10R, hop off either of those bikes and the CBR feels like a toy in comparison. "Handling is quick without the razor-sharpness that can easily cut the less-skilled rider," wrote Kento in his notes. "And that bolsters confidence as the pace picks up." The Honda carded top scores in the suspension and chassis & handling categories, and also drew favorable comments for city riding with the best mirrors, a comfortable seat and upright riding position. Our testers were divided on the 600's brakes, some citing crisp response and feel superior to the Suzuki's and Kawasaki's binders, others pointing out that the CBR's lever is soft and the brakes fade over time, even on the street.[/align][/align]"Whenever we stopped on the street ride," noted Trevitt when we could tear him away from his laptop, "the bike I was just on was the best. But then we'd switch, and that bike would be the best. My favorite is always the last bike I rode." When pressed for a street ranking of the bikes, however, the majority of our group reluctantly put the Honda at the bottom of their lists-not based on any shortcomings in the CBR's package but rather citing the Suzuki's and Kawasaki's advantages.[/align]

Suzuki GSX-R750: 90.3
Less than a half-point behind the street-conquering Kawasaki, the GSX-R750 combines its newfound midrange power and scalpel-sharp chassis to good effect in the canyons. "The changes to the GSX-R750 have made it a better streetbike," commented Kento between catnaps. "It's got better midrange grunt so that you aren't forced to ride it like a 600 so much, and the same sure-footed handling lets you charge into the corners and carry tons of momentum that plays right into the motor's hands." The updated-for-2008 engine retains the old bike's beautifully smooth throttle response that allows you to make full use of the additional power, and although top-end is down from years past that aspect goes practically unnoticed on the street. One quirk: The 750 (and GSX-R600) stand alone among current sportbikes in being decidedly cold-blooded, requiring several minutes in the morning to warm up before being ridden away smoothly.In the chassis department, the Suzuki scored well with the highest marks in the suspension and brakes categories, and tied the Honda for top ergonomics scores. High point of the bike's chassis is unmatched feedback that practically begs you to arc into each successive corner with more speed. "Great steering and brakes," wrote the Geek on his evaluation sheet. "The chassis is very user friendly and gives me lots of confidence, and it's easy to change line in mid-turn if needed." Part of that feedback and confidence is due to the incredibly grippy Bridgestone BT-016 OEM tires, which are almost an unfair advantage compared with the CBR's Dunlop Qualifiers. The ZX-10R also sports the new Bridgestones, although in a different variant.
[/align][/align]So, with "perfect power," according to Troy, and "a great chassis that is light-steering as well as stable," according to Jim, where is the missing half point in the score sheets? Superior to the ZX-10R in half the categories, the Suzuki loses out partly because of a balky transmission and partly because some of our testers felt midrange power is still not on par with the Kawasaki-and even, in some situations, the Honda-requiring more shifting of said rough tranny.
Suzuki GSX-R750
Test Notes

+ Midrange power noticeably improved
+ Great front-end feedback
- Soft top-end hurt performance
- Cold blooded on startup
x With shorter gearing the GSX-R would be king
FRONT Spring preload: 9 turns out from full stiff; rebound damping: .25 turn out from full stiff; low-speed compression damping: 2.5 turns out from full stiff; high-speed compression damping: 3 turns out from full stiff; ride height: 5mm fork tube showing above triple clamp
REAR Spring preload: 8mm thread showing; rebound damping: 1.75 turns out from full stiff; low-speed compression damping: 4 turns out from full stiff; high-speed compression damping: 3 turns out from full stiff

Kawasaki ZX-10R: 90.7
With top scores in five categories, the ZX-10R eked out a slim victory over the GSX-R when the street evaluations were tallied, and was the subjective pick of every one of our four testers. Obviously the big Kawi carded top marks for engine power, but that doesn't tell the whole story: The ZX-10R offers seamless delivery of that power, with a perfectly shaped torque curve, snickety-snick transmission (another top score) and smooth off/on throttle transition. "There's no fumbling between gears on the ZX-10R," wrote Troy via text message. "If you need to go somewhere, you twist the throttle and you're there." While all three bikes have bands of vibration at various RPM, the Kawasaki especially will shake your hands numb cruising around town, and that is the only nit to pick with the engine.That extraordinary mill is coupled to a chassis that is likewise user-friendly: "It may not be as flickable as the latest 600s," raved Kento after a canyon blitz, "but its agility allows it to carve tight corners without losing much ground which it more than makes up for once any type of straight comes up." Like the GSX-R750, the 10's Bridgestone rubber provides confidence-boosting front-end feedback and stunning levels of grip, and helps the somewhat portly Kawasaki to steer remarkably quick-although more muscle is required than for the Suzuki or Honda. Still, our testers scored the ZX-10R behind the others in the chassis & handling category. With racetrack-stiff suspension that is borderline harsh the Kawasaki brings up the rear in that category also. Our riders were divided on the bike's ergos, with some praising its slim midsection and others likening it to a rack on the freeway.
[/align][/align]What brings the ZX-10R to the top of the chart for street use is a balance and refinement not often seen in a Kawasaki-or any-literbike. "Great brakes, nice steering, amazing power and awesome tires . . . it all works together fabulously," stated Trevitt at the end of the day, cocktail in hand. Ironically, that balance used to belong only in the middleweight class, but the Kawasaki turns things upside down, offering balance and a seemingly endless supply of power. Be warned, however, that riding the ZX-10R takes a significant commitment: "A good amount of riding skill is necessary to use and exploit the Kawasaki's strengths," cautions Kent, "similar in many ways to extracting all of a 600's performance. But if you're up to the task, the ZX-10R can and will generate serious speed."
Kawasaki ZX-10R
Test Notes

+ Monster motor pulls forever
+ User-friendly chassis easily harnesses the power
- Riding on-track is a workout
- Low-rpm vibration
x Budget extra for lots of tires
FRONT Spring preload: 3 lines showing; rebound damping: 8 clicks out from full stiff; compression damping: 15 clicks out from full stiff; ride height: 4mm fork tube showing above triple clamp
REAR Spring preload: 25mm thread showing; Rebound damping: 1.25 turns out from full stiff; low-speed compression damping: 3 turns out from full stiff; high-speed compression damping: 2.75 turns out from full stiff

At The Track
Honda CBR600RR: 88.2

Surprise, surprise, the CBR turned the second quickest time at our track day, just three-quarters of a second off the ZX-10R's pace. As a true underdog in this battle of titans, the Honda upheld middleweight honors in lap times but again brings up the rear on the score sheets. "I like the Honda because it's so easy and familiar to ride," commented Troy, echoing practically all our staffers' thoughts. "It feels so light and nimble, when I'm on the track I feel I can do no wrong with it." The CBR posted low scores for power but its power delivery rated higher than the GSX-R's, with crisp response and potent midrange helping it get around the track a smidgen quicker. While the CBR's transmission worked the best of our trio on the track, a slipper clutch would be greatly appreciated, especially in Buttonwillow's long, decreasing-radius sweeper turn.As we've written in countless tests about the tiny CBR, its stellar chassis offers rock-solid stability combined with laser-quick steering. Kunitsugu: "The Honda's agility was easy to see at the track, and you could put it in spots you wouldn't think of with the ZX-10R and would have difficulty doing with the GSX-R." Several small details conspired to keep the Honda off the top of the scorecards at Buttonwillow, however. Its brakes lack the solid feel of the other bikes' on the track and faded after a few laps of hard use, and some of our testers felt suspension rates were a bit soft. The high clip-ons are not as well suited to the track as they are to canyon work, and our quicker riders complained the pegs are too low. No one detail stood out as being a major issue, but combined they keep the CBR to third place at the track.[/align]Suzuki The Suzuki's seating position is almost identical to the Honda's but with lower clip-ons and a lower seat. The instruments are on par with the Kawasaki's, but the mirrors are the worst here.[/align][/align]Suzuki GSX-R750: 90.5
Although the GSX-R posted the slowest lap time (by about five flaps of a hummingbird's wings) it scored a practical tie for first with the Kawasaki and was the subjective pick of half our staffers for track work. "I always try to think about which motorcycle would make me a better rider," said O'Connor between mouthfuls of Lucky Charms. "The Suzuki has enough power to stay fun as your skills improve but not so much that cornering speed and precision aren't important, and it's my pick for the track." The GSX-R's SDTV offers the smoothest off/on throttle transition of the three bikes, and the more potent midrange definitely helps in most situations. That said, top-end steam is noticeably down from previous iterations, and combined with too-tall gearing (the GSX-R is geared for a very optimistic theoretical 186 mph) leaves the bike short of breath in faster corners. Buttonwillow certainly plays to this weakness, and the results show in the lap times.Some of our riders were less than impressed with the Suzuki's mill even in the company of the CBR, but the chassis is a star in this show. Stability is on-par with the Honda and suspension is plush enough to soak up small bumps while stiff enough to absorb Buttonwillow's ever-increasing number of big hits. "The chassis is well-sorted and balanced everywhere on the track," wrote Siahaan. "The brakes just get better the harder you're on them and it feels like what a perfect 600 should feel like." Our guess is that some shorter gearing would add the necessary pep to bring the Suzuki's lap times more in-line with its scores, but even with that drawback the GSX-R nearly snagged top honors for the track.[/align]Kawasaki With low clip-ons and a high seat, the Kawasaki's ergos are the raciest in the test. The tachometer is a complete about-face from previous ZX-10R tachs and easy to read at a glance.[/align][/align]Kawasaki ZX-10R: 90.6
It says volumes about the ZX-10R that all three of our timed riders-covering a range of abilities-posted their quickest lap times while aboard the Kawasaki even though all three found it difficult to get the most out of the green machine because of its endless reserves of power. "I'm not sure whether this is a good or bad thing," commented Boy Toy, "but the ZX-10R makes a ton of power. It was a complete handful getting it around the track. The brakes are really powerful with good feel and strong bite. Ergonomically the ZX-10R is the most track-focused; low bars and a high seat make its intentions clear. I like the way the gas tank is shaped compared to the other two bikes. I find it gives me natural points to dig my legs into when braking hard."The bike's chassis copes with the power as well on the track as it does on the street, although steering is not as quick as the other bikes' and decidedly more muscle is necessary to bend the ZX-10R into a corner. Aside from the effort required, our testers raised no red flags for the chassis, and just as on the street the bike simply works well as a package, with crisp brakes, excellent suspension and good stability. "Even though it can get tiring wrestling the big Kawi around," wrote the Boss, "the chassis and suspension really make me feel at ease while hurtling around the track at warp speed. For a literbike, the Kawasaki inspires excellent confidence." Back the pace down a notch, and the Kawasaki is even more obliging: "That said, the big ZX will putter along at slower speeds with less hassle and complaint than most other literbikes."In The Conference Room
Sum the scores and our testers' subjective picks at each venue, and it's a veritable tie between the GSX-R750 and ZX-10R. Just a quarter-point separates the two in the final standings, and our crew was equally split for an overall winner. As well, consider that the feisty CBR600RR is just another tick behind in scores and quicker than the GSX-R at the track. Any one of these three bikes would make a worthy champion. The ZX-10R, however, is the cream that kept rising to the top during our testing. It continues to amaze us how Kawasaki engineers have harnessed that Herculean engine in so amiable a chassis that riders across a range of skill levels, on both street and track, can mesh with the finished product in a way that increases confidence while lowering lap times. Some call that synergy. We call it bike of the year.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:40 PM

ive ridden both the RR and gsxr and i prefer the RR. feels very solid, nimble, and fast as hell. ride both before you decide is the best advice. the RR blows my mind everytime i have the pleasure of riding one though. i cant wait to get one of my own.