Someone tried to JACK my bike!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone tried to JACK my bike!!!

soo....to start off with....i live in a pretty nice part of town in a pretty nice apt complex. i live on the 3rd floor...and no garages are avail at the moment to rent out, so instead i have covered parking...which i chain my bike to the post with a motrax street chain. i also have a scorpio alarm equiped with my ride as well.

i wake up this morning and start leaving for work...i go outside to take off when i notice my chain is undone?! at closer inspection it looks lik someone used bolt cutters to cut one of the links off. luckily my bike was still there and no harm done except for a broken chain (which i purchased from cycle gear....called them up. and they offered a replacement or exch due to their 100% satisfaction guarantee....awesome cust serv there). i'm assuming that after the thieves cut the chain my perimeter sensor went off (i turned the sensitivity down b/c it would go off if i was even standing in the parking spot.) and scared them off.

so now...i am extremely paranoid that they will be back. i went to cycle gear during my lunch break to exch the chain for an onguard heavy duty chain. the guy there suggested that i park somewhere else in a friend's garage or something for the next week or so (which i kinda don't want to do since i've only have my bike now for 2 months and love riding it every chance i get...but thats what i have to do then thats what will happen).

what do you guys think...any other security precautions that you would recommend. any input would be great.

theres also an R1 thats in my complex and i left him a note letting him know to becarefull b/c of what happened to me.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Default RE: Someone tried to JACK my bike!!!

That sucks chief, but damn it could've been a lot worse!

I'm lucky that I have a garage to store my bike in. I don't know if I'd be willing to deal with the hassle if I didn't have a garage.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:25 PM

dude sorry to hear about that but kiggy's right... could've been a lot worse!

Old 03-02-2006, 10:37 PM

can't believe there was no damage to your bike... good thing you got an alarm... a decent COVER goes a long way... wandering eyes to get attracted to what they don't notice...

Old 03-02-2006, 10:41 PM

totally agree with the cover comment. for all they know it's a POS under there!

disclaimer: not saying YOUR bike is a POS. some people on here get offended way too easily so i had to state this!

Old 03-02-2006, 10:51 PM

Run it by the apratment complex....they might come up with a garage sooner if they know what is going on....I'm sure they wouldn't want Mr Police Officer in their complex if possible...looks bad...specially if you brought to their attention

Old 03-02-2006, 11:10 PM

Your very very LUCKY good alarm sounds like it just paid for its self.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Retired Administrator

That's awesome that you took the time to let the R1 guy know.

I use a steel cable instead of a chain. Have you ever tried to cut a cable? A chain is solid and is easy to cut with bolt cutters, but the cable bends and flexes more so it's harder to cut... sometimes. Plus it's easier to keep under my seat. Does this make sense to anyone or am I naive? If they want the bike and do their homework… they’re going to get it, but it makes it a little more difficult and takes longer to mess with.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:43 AM

I guess the theif had good taste to pick a 600RR over and R1. OR your bike is being targeted!

I would put a brake rotor lock, add a cable too and set the parimeter out a little. This way the alarm goes off sooner and they have more stuff to do. just my 2cents worth.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:02 PM

sniper for hire, 3 well rounded meals to eat and gas money for my bike?

Quick Reply: Someone tried to JACK my bike!!!