Slipper Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipper Clutch?

Hey so can anyone here tell me exactly what a slipper clutch does and is it a noticable differance and before anyone says research I did but Lets face it I'm a Marine it takes me a time or two to catch onto things lol ask John Kerry he'll tell you the same thing...HAHA

Old 05-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Default RE: Slipper Clutch?

Disregard I found what i needed lol I got i searched the internet then I relized i could search the forum so i did that and found what i needed. Thanx sorry

Old 05-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Default RE: Slipper Clutch?

When the clutch is fully engaged ( ie when riding) and you let off the gas, the bike will 'engine break'. As the engine wants to slow down faster than the wheel wants to slow down.

In some cases, like with racing, this effect can lock up the rear wheel, and generally cause instability of the rear wheel. This unpredictability of rear grip is not what you want when blasting into a turn.

The slipper clutch is typically a set of ramps and springs that automatically pull the clutch plates apart ( open the clutch just like pulling in the clutch lever) when the force of the engine breaking reaches a certain level. The ramps are only angled on one side, so the clutch only opens under engine braking, never under throttle acceleration.

Most racers normally (and is good practice) rev match the engine with a little throttle 'blip' as they change down in gears when slowing or coming into a turn. The reason for doing this is to ensure the bike remains controlled, and to limit the amount of engine braking. Brakes are for braking, and in my opinion engine braking is a sign that you aren't matching the engine revs with bike speed properly. Something I am guilty of doing wrong regularly, however.

If you rev match correctly, I don't feel there is any need for a slipper clutch. A regular clutch can do the same for you, if you let it out slowly with a slight trottle blip with each change down in gears as you slow to a corner etc.

I don't have one, and I don't want one really. If honda puts one on my next bike, its'll probably save a few mistakes though.

Hope that helps, I am sure others will elaborate on pros and cons I missed.....