Road trip info needed from the hardcore crowd.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road trip info needed from the hardcore crowd.

whats the longest trip you have taken on your 600? How often did you stop? Any problems i should look for on an extended ride? I know some of you hardcore guys have been for a long trip, so fill me in, how did the old booty feel after a few hundred miles? Did your bike run good the whole way. What kind of luggage if any did you use? Any and all info pertaining to a long trip is greatly appreciated. I'm going to see my Dad in a few weeks and its close to 400 miles, I plan on stopping three places along the way. Thanks guys. see ya later estimator

Old 04-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Default RE: Road trip info needed from the hardcore crowd.

ORIGINAL: 420cbr

whats the longest trip you have taken on your 600? How often did you stop? Any problems i should look for on an extended ride? I know some of you hardcore guys have been for a long trip, so fill me in, how did the old booty feel after a few hundred miles? Did your bike run good the whole way. What kind of luggage if any did you use? Any and all info pertaining to a long trip is greatly appreciated. I'm going to see my Dad in a few weeks and its close to 400 miles, I plan on stopping three places along the way. Thanks guys. see ya later estimator
I've done a lil under 400 in a day. But it was round trip to Deal's gap, make a few passes on the dragon n near by roads, and head home. Since you have 3 stops planned anyhow you shouldnt really need to stop anymore than that unless you're just not use to riding more than a hour at a time. I feel fine afterwards unless I was off the bike for any lenght of time prior. I'm not used a tank or saddle bags, so I'll let the others give input on those.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from mid Long Island, to Central Jersey, right through NYC... with my girl on the back, with my suspension tightened up cause thats how I like it. The trip was about 175 miles each way, no stops. When you are cruising on the highway its pretty simple to just relax, but riding around a place I didnt know, and riding on some rough city highways was pretty grueling. At the end of the day I was a little sore, but the next day I was fine. She will be good to you on your adventure, I wouldn't sweat it. Make sure you have fresh oil, pads are good, and tires are in good shape. Dont want anything to fail far from home!

Good luck.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Retired Moderator

I rode 650 miles in one night. If you are riding on the interstate primarily at night, HID's ARE A MUST!

But I just made sure that I had all the tire pressures perfect, had the chain adjusted and lubed before the trip (and took lube with me). I stopped every 120 miles to fill up with gas and to take a quick 2 minute stretch. If you constantly switch positions, you won't get as sore so quickly.

If you are looking to take a longer trip..........I would recommend getting a layer of foam put over the seat, or possibly getting a Corbin.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:19 AM

Tool Kit would be a nice thing to pack. Like said before... MAKE SURE to do your pre ride inspection. Tires, brakes, fluids, and chain. Blue said it right... constantly change your position on the highway and you'll be ok. With 3 stops on a 400 mile trip, you should be ok. Take more if your body tells you.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:44 AM

my 1st long trip was recent...and it was wen ii brought my bike up from sth florida to central florida(where i attend school). ii was also bringin it up for DAYTONA BIKE WEEK!
st off let me tell u...u will b sore n hurt n sore n hurt...o yea ur gonna b sore and hurt sore and hurt...did i mention SORE? um yea... the nex day was the worst...recovery day! everythin was aching...azz, back upper n lower, thighs...like every part of my thigh..even near the pelvic area. the wrists! ur damn feet! EVERY bloodclot(jamaican word for fuc*iN)part on your damn body is goin to hurt. besides the pain...it was a good ride..about 300miles maybe give or take. and iwas early evening when ii left my house but got dark quick, being were bak an hr for daylight savings...ii stopped ii think twice..once in b/t for gas n quick break.rode another 200miles straight and HAD 2 take another break...o yea and it got cold! and lik FOX said HID's does coe in handy..@ one point there was a car with Hid's and ii jus kept up with him...besides dat it was all goos..o yea n wen ii got 2 my apt ii literally parked my bike and sat there for like 10-15mins b4 ii cud move agen ii was just SOOOO TIRED!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:09 AM

I've done 300-320 miles one way on a Ninja 650r and 300 on my 07 CBR600RR. I had to stop twice for fuel, and (though you SHOULD), I didn't actually do a pre-ride check, well, not any more than normal (tires have good air, nothing's hanging off, suspension feels okay, etc)

The ole' backside was fine after the trip, the stretches at gas stations did wonders, and I packed everything I needed in a backpack. I don't rec. tankbags, personally, because on the longer trips I like to rest my arm on the tank and just kind of lean there. That may just be me though.

Worst trip (pain wise) was a route-66 back-roads trip from here to tulsa (200 or so miles) on a Honda Rebel 250cc bike. The trip there was okay, but add on all the tail-bone pounding that sea-doo's will do to you on the lake, then ride 200 miles home less than 48 hours later... and I was in pain for the last half hour! (granted, the little 250 was a bit cramped for my 6'2" frame) Never had the same issue with my sport bike.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:01 PM

i rode 750 miles the second day i had mine. stopped a lot for gas and to clean visor, and after about 400 miles i changed the oil because i was breaking it in.

RED, what did you do to your bike that would let you ride 200 miles on a tank of gas? are you talking Kilometers? i only get around 160 miles per tank on mine. imwanting to get better gas millage these days

Old 04-04-2008, 03:15 PM

RED, what did you do to your bike that would let you ride 200 miles on a tank of gas? are you talking Kilometers? i only get around 160 miles per tank on mine. imwanting to get better gas millage these days
honestly ii dont know?! ii cud have been wrong in regards to stating the actually mileage, but as ii said ii am unsure...bcuz the "midway point" isnt actually midmay. I got gas b4 ii left sth florida and at the "midway" point ii got more gas and stretched. from there it is a longer way 2 my final destination than it was from my house in sth fl to the midway point. So maybe it was prolly 150 or so but then about 20miles from my destination ii stopped agen but jus to stretch. and ii made it home on the same tank from the midway..ill try n get a map or summin n figure out how many miles it was xactly...other than that...ii jst cruised in 6th gear.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:27 PM

i went to big bend,tx with a bunch of guys (375 miles one way ) and did a dawn to dusk ride ( left a 7am got back about 8pm ) and we did almost 2k miles in 4 days . as long as you stop say .. about every 100 miles and fill up stop strech get somthing to drink take you some small snacks and you will be fine . and honda is a really good bike .. on the way to big bend we avg. about 80-90 most the way never a problem ..... i had cortech saddle bags and rear bag on my bike on the way down there and never really knew it was there and all three where full with cloths /laptop/camera ect. everything i needed for 2 full days of fun and 2 days of riding to and from big bend . yes the bike can go more then 100 miles on one tank but it lets you strech get your focus back and wake your self up . if your taking mostly highway this really helps .. if your taking someone curvy back roads its not much of a factor but it still helps .. its normaly for me to put 400 miles on my bike in a day just to go ride .. before my 07 was stolen i got in brand new in july of 07 with 2 miles on it ... and right before they stole it on the 3-31-2008 it had over 13k on it just rember 100mile breaks , snack ,drink , strech .... you will be fine . when i say snack i mean like a pack of crackers or a candy bar ... or if your a health freak a apple or a banna .. something .. anything really would work ....