rim polishing

Old 07-22-2007, 04:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rim polishing

me and my girl polished the front rim on my rr tonight. for anyone that wants to do this i have pics here and definately recommend taking your time to tape everything really really good. you can see where some of the aircraft coat remover got under the tape
http://www.putfile.com/imnorman/images/129760

i'm doing the rear wheel tomorrow after the moto gp race of course. only took a couple hrs total to do the front wheel including taking it off, taping and the rest of the whole process. i'll definately tape up the rear wheel good.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Default RE: rim polishing

Did you actually polish after you stripped it? You should really take those tires off before putting that aircraft stripper on your rims. A little bit on the tire will ruin it.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:28 AM

stripped, took steel wool to it, then metal polish. the rear looks alot better. i added pics of the rear.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You should really take those tires off before putting that aircraft stripper on your rims. A little bit on the tire will ruin it.
Rubbish. It will not ruin the tires.........

I will say this though.... I have one bike with fully polished wheels and had another in the past with the wheel edges polished.......

Never again. I mean NEVER!

Too much maintenace required for upkeep. Next time I am going with powder coating.

Polished looks fantastic, better than chrome in my opinion, but just too much of a PITA to maintain for me.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:09 AM

ORIGINAL: meanstrk

You should really take those tires off before putting that aircraft stripper on your rims. A little bit on the tire will ruin it.
Rubbish. It will not ruin the tires.........

I will say this though.... I have one bike with fully polished wheels and had another in the past with the wheel edges polished.......

Never again. I mean NEVER!

Too much maintenace required for upkeep. Next time I am going with powder coating.

Polished looks fantastic, better than chrome in my opinion, but just too much of a PITA to maintain for me.
i agree. it won't ruin the tire. plus if you see in the pics i had the tire taped up. tire is fine. its probably not good for your tire if you let it sit on there for a few minutes though. i wanted to bring out the wheels on the bike but on a mostly black bike, there isn't any wheel stripes that would look good. so i went with the polish. i love it.