Replacing side stand help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing side stand help needed

I'm having a mother of a time trying to replace my side stand on my 2005 CBR600RR. I can't get the bolt that holds the side stand out. It just turns with the side stand. I tried with a 12mm and a 15/32 socket and both of them broke once I used a longer socket wrench. I need help removing this bolt. So far I have done the following:

- Increased the torque by using a longer wrench
- Used liquid wrench to try to dissolve any rust and also lubricate the seized bolt
- heated the bolt to about 300 F with a heat gun. Two tubes fell out because I was trying to avoid melting less heat tolerant parts and I don't know where they go now. HELP!

I am to the point that I'm about to throw in the towel which really sucks because I've already spent a ton of time not getting anywhere.

And just to do a STUPID check, when I turn the bolt (bolt head facing outward from the bike and towards me; side stand is on the left side per usual), I spin it counter clockwise to loosen.

The other thing I am thinking about doing is just taking out the entire side stand assembly off and try to replace the stand that way but I am worried about the shifter and other tubing as I have no knowledge of how to torque things and put them back together. Please someone, I need some enlightenment otherwise I am about to go crazy.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:58 AM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

It might help if you post a picture.
normally a bolt comes loose when you do the things you described.
I'm actually suprised you did not already brake the bolt.
Is the bolt actually rusty?
If not you can count on it that it is not rust you are fighting.
Another thing might be on the backside that there is a locking nut behind that turns along with the bolt?
Although I think that is unlikely....
Please, a picture says more than....

Old 05-02-2020, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by chris0986
It might help if you post a picture.
normally a bolt comes loose when you do the things you described.
I'm actually surprised you did not already brake the bolt.
Is the bolt actually rusty?
If not you can count on it that it is not rust you are fighting.
Another thing might be on the backside that there is a locking nut behind that turns along with the bolt?
Although I think that is unlikely....
Please, a picture says more than....
Certainly. Here are some photos. The nut on the front is a 12 mm. The nut on the back is 14 mm. Because I don't have a socket wrench small enough, I can't get it onto the back and instead I use a vice with a socket or an adjustable wrench to try to grab a hold of it. But unfortunately they are just not very stable. I'm gonna buy a solid 14 mm wrench without any ratcheting so its just metal on metal contact.

I also heard that brake cleaner melts loctite and I have heard loctite is used at the factory for the side stand.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:25 PM

Also are there any schematics or service manuals I can get a hands on. I'm in knee deep of fog not knowing where things go where and how to unhook what. I would love to have a manual that tells you what size bolts I'm dealing with so I can use it as reference like this scheumatic here: https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f6c376d859.jpg

Only problem with that schematic is that it doesn't have the list that gives a name to each numbered part.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:13 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Why not take the entire assembly off so you can have the clearance you need?

Those hoses are drain hoses and should be tucked somewhere so the stick out the bottom of the bike but don't interfere with anything.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:14 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Looks like you’ve got a bit of a problem now. Unfortunately whatever you have on the inside looks damaged and you’ll be fortunate to get a good purchase on it. It would also seem to my eyes you have a nut both sides so either I’m wrong about that or there has been an issue here previously. The rear looks like a nylock nut and there’s nothing showing in the thread of the front bolt ? How much thread is there actually in this nut ? You could heat it up from the front and use a chisel on the shoulder to get it moving.
As Demon has suggested it might now make sense to remove the whole assembly. Once you get it stripped replace those bolts with new.
Whatever your next move is, try to make sure you only use good quality correctly sized tooling when working on your bike. The right tool always makes things easier.
Best of luck mate.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by wes 17
Looks like you’ve got a bit of a problem now. Unfortunately whatever you have on the inside looks damaged and you’ll be fortunate to get a good purchase on it. It would also seem to my eyes you have a nut both sides so either I’m wrong about that or there has been an issue here previously.
What's that .. damaged? You think the rear bolt is stripped?

The rear looks like a nylock nut and there’s nothing showing in the thread of the front bolt ? How much thread is there actually in this nut ? You could heat it up from the front and use a chisel on the shoulder to get it moving.
I'm not really quite understanding what you're asking regarding the threading of the front bolt. That threading was used for a bolt for the side stand sensor kill switch.

As Demon has suggested it might now make sense to remove the whole assembly. Once you get it stripped replace those bolts with new.
I'd like to remove the entire assembly if possible but I'm not 100% on the putting it back together and also if there are any torque requirements I need to be aware of. The shifter is in the way. Are there any schematics out there?

Whatever your next move is, try to make sure you only use good quality correctly sized tooling when working on your bike. The right tool always makes things easier.
Best of luck mate.
Thanks man. I'll try, quarantine making it kind of tough with the tools department but trying.

Old 05-03-2020, 02:52 AM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Youy can remove the shifter rods easily as long as you don't turn the rods (making them shorter or longer.
Tou have a clear picture of how it is assembled now and you can use that when putting everything together again.
I agree with the other members that the bolt on the back is exit.
If I were you I would remove the whole sidestand and cut the bolt with an angle grinder.
Should be a quick fix.

I'd help you if I could (corona stuff not technical capability and most likely distance)

Old 05-03-2020, 03:37 PM

So too scared now to try to get the rear bolt out. I sprayed it down with brake cleaner cause I heard that would dissolve loctite (which I heard is done at the factory) but not interested because you all are saying the rear is in bad shape. I tried to remove the side stand assembly but now I think I'll strip that too with the tools I have. What tools do I need to remove the side stand assembly? Also the shifter rod bolt seems to connect the shifter rod assembly and the side stand assembly, can I safely remove that bolt without messing with the shifter rod?

Old 05-03-2020, 06:13 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

That rear bolt is knackered. You can’t knacker it more as it’s already knackered.You can only work with what you have left. You could try a decent ring spanner but I think she’d slip.
Curved jaw locking pliers have got me out of trouble before. The trick is getting them on fantastically tight (the force used to close and lock them will be at your limit if you want them to stand a chance)and at the right angle to allow force to be used on the handles. In your case it would be good to be able to use your booted foot with leg pressure to get it to move.
That said, if loctite or similar has been used then generous amounts of heat must be applied beforehand.

As for removing the entire assembly, examine all the heads for damage and check your tooling for wear. If the heads are fresh then with decent tooling you should be able to extract whatever you need to remove. If they are of the Allen key type, clean out the recesses so the key can sit as deep as possible.
Having said all that, Chris’s idea with the angle grinder is definitely worth some thought.
Best of luck mate.

Last edited by wes 17; 05-03-2020 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Replacing side stand help needed