questions for CBR riders

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions for CBR riders

I will be buying a 2006 CBR 600RR in about two weeks. I'm mainly buying it to commute back and forth to work. I am very aware that this isn't the most comfortable bike to ride, however I have no desire to own a cruiser. I'd appreciate any input you may have regarding the following questions:

1. I will be riding a minimum of 35 miles (one way) to work. When does the discomfort/pain set in?
2. Will I be able to load/unload this bike in my truck by myself?
3. Don't know what it's called, but is the bike stand that fits behind the rear wheel a "must have" for doing maintenance, etc?
4. Does the small windshield offer any type of protection from bugs and/or rain?
5. Does anyone know if the 07 CBR will be a radical change from the current CBR?

Thanks,

Old 07-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Default RE: questions for CBR riders

Why not get an f4i? I hear they are much more comfortable. I bought an 06 f4i I like it I use it as a daily commute vehicle too. As far as the windscreen protecting you from bugs and rain, ummmmm, HAHAHAHA. It was barely raining last night on my way home from work and it felt like hail on my hands. The one freakin day that I decided to not wear my gloves it rains. =( Honestly I think that the only reason the windscreen is on there is so you can put an aftermarket one on and make your bike look pimp. =D

Mike

Old 07-20-2006, 02:38 PM

1)Im with the F4i idea if youre looking for comfort all tho i ride my RR to work and forget about the trip all together..its a great machine...

2)Im not sure if unloading yourself is a good idea even if you could.Im sure you could find someone to help or tell the dealer..i want delivery or no deal..LOL

3) Rear stands are a must for maintenance and for looking kewlies in the driveway but if its a new bike the dealer will do most of the break in so save that money til later.

4) Last but not least the windscreen on an RR is simply cosmetic and to help to direct low flying bugs and debris right into your helmet visor...you do have a helmet dont you?

AND ABOVE ALL....HAVE FUN...WELCOME THE THE CLUB

Old 07-20-2006, 03:11 PM

1) After 1 mile
2) Probably not...unless your "fake name" is Clark Kent
3) It's called a rear bike stand - yes it definately helps
4) Bugs - only to the top of the windscreen; Rain - hahahaha, have you ever seen how rain works?
5) ?

Old 07-20-2006, 03:23 PM

1. I will be riding a minimum of 35 miles (one way) to work. When does the discomfort/pain set in?
It varies from person to person
2. Will I be able to load/unload this bike in my truck by myself?
If you have a very long ramp yeah, but two people are better than one
3. Don't know what it's called, but is the bike stand that fits behind the rear wheel a "must have" for doing maintenance, etc?
It's called a swingarm stand. Is it a must have? no, but it does make working on it 1000 times easier
4. Does the small windshield offer any type of protection from bugs and/or rain?
Nope, none at all. The Double Bubble aftermarket shields offer more though.
5. Does anyone know if the 07 CBR will be a radical change from the current CBR?
Lots of rumors flying around about that one. no one knows for certain.

To be honest, if ALL this is for is commuting, look into the other offerings such as standard sports (SV650, EX650, FZR600, Etc) because they will be a little better on fuel and much more comfortable to ride long distances, and probably a lot cheaper to purchase new. The Kawasaki Ninja EX650 is BRAND new, ULTRA comfy, gets phenomenal gas milage (about 50mpg), and has the supersport look.

Old 07-20-2006, 03:40 PM

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

The Kawasaki Ninja EX650 is BRAND new, ULTRA comfy, gets phenomenal gas milage (about 50mpg), and has the supersport look.
That's a great bike and I hear it's a torque monster...you could pop wheelies your entire commute!

+1 to what everyone else said...I've made my opinion very clear in other threads about this bike being a commuter...

Old 07-20-2006, 10:44 PM

As said above, there are better alternatives for commuting. However, I plan to do some long distance with mine once I get the time. I've done 100 mile days with mine and experience no discomfort. However, I've added heli-bars, a corbin seat and a sport touring windshield. To some people, this is a blasphemy b/c it undoes some of the supersport characteristics of the bike, but the bike's handling has not changed at all. What I have turned the bike into is a daily rider in supersport trim. The RR is a really smooth bike, has a great cockpit and I've been really happy with it. There is no hard luggage for it that I know of though, which makes commuting easier (but is pretty ugly on a bike like this).

Old 07-20-2006, 10:53 PM

Get the CBR. There is nothing like having the exact bike you want. When you pull up to a light next to someone on a "comfortable" standard and they have a new CBR, you will be wishing you had one. Get the bike you want and start excercising, you will be used to it aftre some saddle time.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:17 PM

1. I can ride for 2 or 3 hours straight and it doesnt bother me.. only time it does is if i'm 2 up.
2. doubt it.
3. i would definately recommend one..
4. not really.
5. no clue.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:13 AM

Man butch up and get an rr, it's only 35 miles for cryin' out loud.

Quick Reply: questions for CBR riders