Questions about blipping

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 04:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about blipping

I'm still pretty new at riding and wanted to get some better understanding of blipping while braking and downshifting. I know the general idea and the reason behind it, I just wanted some clarification on a few things. As far as I know, the sequence is:

1) pull in the clutch
2) blip the throttle
3) downshift
4) release clutch
*Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere here.

Now do you pull the clutch in all the way before you blip or just a little?
When you release the clutch, is it a gradual release or just release it quickly?
Do you release the clutch all the way or just a little?
Do I have to release the clutch or can I simply blip, downshift, blip, downshift, etc...?

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Default RE: Questions about blipping

I'm still practicing blipping the throttle, and I've been riding for over 2 years. IMO the hardest part is getting the RPMs just right. Sometimes I hit just right and I can feel it, other times I'm off and there's either too much engine braking or I get that short quick jerk of too much RPMs. It is definitely an art and I praise Road Racers. It also has me contiplitaing buying a slipper clutch, but I'm like naw, I'm not going to drop that loot right now.

It's all feel, but you won't be pulling the clutch in all the way. If you hit it just right you don't have to pull the clutch in at all. I've done it on my old bike, but I'm trying that shyt on my new bike just yet.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:50 AM

meh u couls skip that whole process and just shift at redline

Old 04-21-2006, 11:52 AM

It all depends on your current speed and what gear your downshifitng into. What you need to do is think about the sweet spot on the power band that the next gear is going to jump to. I can blip and downshift as smooth as a baby's ***... again it's all about speed and what gear you're downshifting into. Just go out and play around with it. I typicall pull the clutch in most of the way, and let it out moderately quick (if you blip to the correct RPM you wont have to slip it as much). Just play and practice... you'll get it. A slipper clutch eh? If you're not a fan of wheelies thats a good idea... otherwise I wouldn't do it.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:52 AM

what is blipping and what is the purpose of it?

Old 04-21-2006, 04:20 PM

Blipping is hitting the throtle to get the engine rps up so that the engine is rotating at the same speed as the gear you are shifting to, this helps to keep from jolting forwrd in an upshift, or skidding the tire if you downshift to fast. I blipp the throtle both up and down shifting, it is good practice. It would be the equivalent (almost) of double-cluthing a sports car. I just pull in the clutch until it diengages enough to rev the gas.

Old 04-21-2006, 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: dragonium25
1) pull in the clutch
2) blip the throttle
3) downshift
4) release clutch
*Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere here.
Only correction is:

Pull clutch, down shift, blip and quickly release clutch...that should get you in the ballpark, but it's an acquired skill and not useful for every situation...but it sure sounds cool!

You never have to fully pull the clutch only enough to make it engage...

ORIGINAL: Frerice

It is definitely an art and I praise Road Racers. It also has me contiplitaing buying a slipper clutch, but I'm like naw, I'm not going to drop that loot right now.
It's not even completely about "loot"...it's just not necessary for street riding...

Old 04-22-2006, 06:04 AM

So it's actually DOWNSHIFT, then BLIP? I've heard both ways now, so which is correct?

A) Blip, Downshift
or
B) Downshift, Blip

But you do release the clutch 'quickly' at the end right?

Old 04-22-2006, 02:15 PM

It's all about timing...you pull the clutch, step down on the shifter, give the throttle a quick crank and release the clutch, but it's literally in a second and when you get it down it's one fluid motion...all you want is the revs higher to match the speed of the rear wheel...the bike will happily scream "wing, wing, wing" as you down shift.

You might release too early and make the bike jerk a bunch of times, or over rev the bike and just sound silly trying, but keep practicing and you'll get it down!

Old 04-22-2006, 06:57 PM

Cool thanks! I pick up my bike Monday and gonna spend some time in the parking lot workin' on this.

Quick Reply: Questions about blipping