CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/)
-   -   Question for riders who got the 600rr as their first bike (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/question-riders-who-got-600rr-their-first-bike-22192/)

molsen81 09-02-2006 04:40 AM

Question for riders who got the 600rr as their first bike

So we know that the F4I is easier to learn on than a RR. This is not a compare question. I want to hear from people who bought the RR as their first bike. Was the learning curve severe? Did you ever feel like you made a mistake in choosing such a powerful bike? Were you scared to sh%* or did you just say the hell with it and hopped on and started riding? And for the women and people under 5 ft 7 in, was the riding height ok at first or were adjustments necessary? The reason for the inquiry is because I want a F4I, but I keep finding better deals on 600rr bikes. I never really considered them, but the look and capabilities are growing on me. I can walk away with one right now for $5500.

slipper 09-02-2006 07:00 AM

RE: Question for riders who got the 600rr as their first bike

its no easier learning on an F4I or a RR. The controls are the same, power curve is similar, and its not like the F4I comes with training wheels.

But seriously, my RR was my first bike and its not that hard.

I would first suggest you learn clutch modulation. You can do this my holding the throttle at a set RPM, around 2-3k RPMs. Slowly slip the clutch until you start rolling (but dont fully release the clutch, just keep slipping) and do this over and over again for like 50 times, serious. Dont worry about burning your clutch cause it wont happen, its a wet clutch unlike an automobiles dry clutch. Clutch modulation is serious when learning to ride.

When you get that down then slowly slip the clutch and start a slow roll, but do not leave 1st gear. Then come to a stop; but the way you do this is first disengage the clutch, then slowly apply brake pressure to the front brakes. Its crucial that you disengage the clutch first before you let go the throttle because it will jerk much harder than your used to in 1st gear. One common problem that i see is when noobies get on the throttle in 1st, suddenly release the throttle causing a sharp jerk and quick deceleration. The automatic response to this is to get back on the throttle but when you do this it'll suddenly jerk forward very hard throwing you off the bike.

Then practice a slow acceleration in the first few gears.

Now try a slow roll in 2nd or 3rd at around 15 mph and lean slightly into a turn.

Next just ride, slowly but surely with a friend.

NC CBR1K 09-02-2006 12:43 PM

i rode motocross all my life growing up and my first street bike was a 06 1000rr and i love it, havent had any problems learning with it

snomo338 09-02-2006 01:31 PM

My first street bike was a 2003 600rr I love it. I dont' think it matters how much power the bike has it's how you use the power, you don't have to use it all the first time you get on the thing. As for regreting it know way I would have only had a regret if I would have gotten any other bike.

belleater 09-02-2006 01:39 PM

imo take the msf course first before you buy the 600 bike. itll teach you the basics and youll get a feel for what its like to be a motorcycle. i cant imagine learning all the basics on a rr.

molsen81 09-02-2006 02:59 PM

ORIGINAL: slipper

its no easier learning on an F4I or a RR. The controls are the same, power curve is similar, and its not like the F4I comes with training wheels.

But seriously, my RR was my first bike and its not that hard.

I would first suggest you learn clutch modulation. You can do this my holding the throttle at a set RPM, around 2-3k RPMs. Slowly slip the clutch until you start rolling (but dont fully release the clutch, just keep slipping) and do this over and over again for like 50 times, serious. Dont worry about burning your clutch cause it wont happen, its a wet clutch unlike an automobiles dry clutch. Clutch modulation is serious when learning to ride.

When you get that down then slowly slip the clutch and start a slow roll, but do not leave 1st gear. Then come to a stop; but the way you do this is first disengage the clutch, then slowly apply brake pressure to the front brakes. Its crucial that you disengage the clutch first before you let go the throttle because it will jerk much harder than your used to in 1st gear. One common problem that i see is when noobies get on the throttle in 1st, suddenly release the throttle causing a sharp jerk and quick deceleration. The automatic response to this is to get back on the throttle but when you do this it'll suddenly jerk forward very hard throwing you off the bike.

Then practice a slow acceleration in the first few gears.

Now try a slow roll in 2nd or 3rd at around 15 mph and lean slightly into a turn.

Next just ride, slowly but surely with a friend.
That's weird because I got yelled at constantly when I went through the MSF course for grabbing the clutch before braking. So you're telling me that I had it right all along? That really pisses me off that MSF instructors would teach someone the wrong thing. And of course MSF instructors assume you're gonna buy a standard or cruiser. Now I have to really rethink my fundamentals.

slipper 09-02-2006 03:13 PM

im talking about 1st gear bro. you'll understand what im talking about in real world riding in traffic.

05RR 09-02-2006 05:02 PM

My first bike was a 2005 600RR. Before I bought it brand new, the Honda R&D Team from the motorcycle plant here had done ALOT of mods to it (full race exhaust, PCIII with custom map, K&N ail filter, cam, pistons and a few other odds-and-in's) before puting it on the showroom floor. So it had alot more power than a stock 600RR. I absolutely love my 600RR to death! I purchased it in September 2005, almost had it a year, and am going to be getting a literbike, just waiting on the 2007 Honda's to come out. I'm going to be making my 600RR a full race/track bike when I do get my literbike. Anyways, with it being my very first bike, I didn't have any problems at all! I was actually ready to get a literbike after like 4 months of having it. Yeah, the motorcycle classes will help (also cheaper insurance, etc.) but in my own personal opinion, it's better to learn on your own. My buddy took me out in B.F.E. when I first got my bike, and he tought me everything that I needed to know. So, I just kept on practicing and practicing, braking, acceleration, etc., until I was comfortable with taking "road trips" and hitting the twisties pretty hard. After 2 months, I took the motorcycle beginners course. It helped a little, but like I said, I think that it's better to learn on your own. Then, take that money that you were going to spend on the beginners course and go take like an "advanced cornering"/performance class. Don't get me wrong, F4i's are great bikes, very comfortable and great to learn on, BUT, if you go with an F4i, I'll almost guarantee you that you'll be wishing that you had went with a little more power and better handling.

mjflagg 09-02-2006 09:08 PM

I would consider my 04 600RR my first real bike, 'cause I hadn't riden for 14 prior and it was a kz400 for a few months. You will be OK if you learned anything in MSF course and passed. Respect the throttle and don't go beyond your level.

Nessal 09-02-2006 09:14 PM

I bought my 600RR new as my first bike. I pretty much have zero experience with riding except for MSF and riding my mini bike. It was SCARY to say the least. Not that riding was scary...but I didn't want to drop my bike. I wanted to wait till my sliders come before I hop on it...but it's so tempting to just ride around the block. The 600's are no joke compared to some other bikes. If you really aren't careful, you can drop it at a stand still quite easily. I almost did a few times when I came to a stop too fast by jamming on my front brakes too hard. I lost balance but thankfully I kept the bike upright. It sure did scare the crap out of me though LOL. So far I have not pushed the bike over 60mph. I've been riding the city streets pretty much to and from work. I have a lot of friends that ride so when I got my bike, they taught me everything to get me started. One of the first things they told me to do was walk the bike. Basically you sit on the bike with it off and walk it. This helped me learn how to balance my bike and also it will help when you need to back up into a spot or move forward a tiny amount. Then I learned to ride around the block using counter steering in turns. You also learn this in MSF but it's different on a RR compared to the 250's you ride at MSF. One problem that I have is fixation. I constantly find myself looking at the turn instead of through it. It's hard not to but you need to look THROUGH the turn. So far I put about 100 miles on my bike and I feel pretty confident. but not cocky. My buddy took me out to a few twisties yesterday in some hilly area and I did fairly well for a beginner with less then 2 weeks of riding under my belt. I learned how to lean a bit and also incorporate counter steering while entering a turn. I find myself counter steering most of the time when I turn instead of leaning. You should also note that in first gear, the throttle is NO JOKE. You have to get a certain "feel" of how much gas to apply to start off and what not. I often found myself revving too high but after you ride a bit more, it will come naturally. Good luck on your first bike. I'm sure you'll have a lot fun. Just be safe and RESPECT the bike.