question about brakes??? HELP plz

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 04:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about brakes??? HELP plz

hello all,

couple weeks back some moron in a hyundai pulled out right in front of me in traffic which ended up in me t-boning his car. after this i have been thinking about getting better brakes for similar situations like this that may occur in the future. i wanted to know if it was possible to take brakes from a 1000rr and put them onto my 600rr. if they will fit or not?? or i heard that maybe you have to swap out the whole front end?? its an 04, and if not any suggestions/recommendations on what kind of brakes are good?

thanks alot

Old 12-01-2006, 04:28 AM
Default RE: question about brakes??? HELP plz

Why do you suppose you need more brakes? You must have no brake fluid in them. The 600rr will lock the front tire up with just a squeeze. They dont get much better.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:53 AM

I think the brakes are exactly the same? Have you tried braided hose, gives better feed back.

I wanted to get gaffer wavy disc and uprate the calipers, but was told that they were a waste of time, as stock was plenty(as I was told).

Then there is the prefecting of technique, which I have been trying.

of course never grab a fist full of front brake, cause this will lock up the front end. Most of us do it in a panic.
Progressively squeeze the brake and slide your bum into the back seat. I always try and do this all the time, but sometimes am lazy. Just in case you might need it one day it will come natrually.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:05 PM

Sounds like an unfortunate event, but this response is typical of many new riders (I don't know how long you've been riding)..."I crashed, so it must be the bike's fault!" If you look at the big picture, you'll probably discover that it wasn't the brakes that failed, unless it was a mechanical failure and they truly didn't do their job, but better brakes won't make a better/safer rider. Bushmaster is 100% correct...the stock brakes have more than enough stopping power, even for the most aggressive track riding a novice can do and if you don't know how to use better brakes, then better brakes will be of no use and might even be a danger to an inexperienced rider.

So I guess what I'm saying is the stock brakes work great and take another look at the situation to evaluate what really happen...were you going too fast in a public area, did you approach an intersection without slowing and checking for potential situations to put you at harm, were you not scanning the area looking for people waiting to pull out, were you not paying attention? There's always exceptions, but surprises rarely happen if you stay safe and alert...

Be safe!

Old 12-01-2006, 01:22 PM

I have kevlar lines and have done a good job bleeding them with fresh dot 5, I also feel the best pads are vesrah, I do freqent track days and can stop the bike from over a 100 mph with 2 fingers in no time flat

Old 12-01-2006, 02:44 PM

Hondas always have good brakes. If you upgrade your brakes it will just make it more likely that when you do a quick grab of the front break you will send yourself over the bars. Learn to use what you have first. As alte22a was saying. You want to move back on the bike. You will also want to clamp on to the tank with your knees to keep the best control of the bike overall.

Old 12-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, if you just didn't have enough time and travel distance to stop then you can have the best brakes in the world and still hit him.

the RR brakes are great...get some SS lines if you don't have them...but be careful, because you'll likely lock them up in a panic situation.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:27 PM

VERRY WELL WRITTEN FRETLESS!

Dood your never gunna stop like on a blink of an eye un less ur one of the xmen or sumthin! concider practicing ur emergency stops, their a great investment. but truithfully if it was just one of those situations where you didd'nt even get time to react properly im sorry but thier aint a real lot you can do man.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:32 PM

thanks everyone. i think im gonna go with changing my lines. and just to clear it up it the brakes had nothing to do with my accident. the guy just pulled out of a parking lot without stopping and looking before he did. its just the paranoia i guess which makes me want more brake power. but i guess its jsut a mental thing i gotta get over?

thanks again everyone