Purchasing Salvage Title Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing Salvage Title Bikes?

I have an opportunity to purchase some '05 RR's from an insurance auction. Been to look at the bikes. Three in perticular stood out, one with 980 miles - laid down on left side, one with 350 miles - laid down on right side and one with 5 miles (dealer kit still cable tied to the plate holder) - damage to front faring. None of these have any frame, wheel, fork or swing arm damage.

Anyone on here know what kind of prices I should be looking at offering? I am a "very" hands on technical kind of guy so the work to fix these up to either kick butt track bikes or beater/rider street rides does not scare me.

Post up if you have some experience on the pricing side.

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2006, 12:36 AM
Default RE: Purchasing Salvage Title Bikes?

How do u go about finding those auctions?I would like to get into buying and selling salvage bikes.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:24 AM
Default RE: Purchasing Salvage Title Bikes?

well i'm not a salvager myself.. i would like to work on bikes, but just dont have the knowledge of all the parts yet.. but i did remember a site for slavaging vehicles.. (even tho i believe buying a new bike and just parting it out is where you make your money).. you can check out http://www.ridesafely.com/minventory...nDate=&Region=

this is a nice auction place for bikes, but i got to say - alot of people bid on here.. plus it's kind-of ify with the system (they are just the middle man, they dont have the bikes themselves i guess - it's the insurance agency that does and they send the pics to website to sell them) So it could or couldnt have keys with the bikes.

but check it out - maybe you will see something you like.. ebay is your next best bet - or cycletrader.com

if not that, then go to your local slavage or repo yard (auction yard) it's better to look local first then on the web (because of shipping and what not)

also try your local newspaper or cycle trader magazines (they usually have an ATV/personalcraft magazine for people to sell there vehicles.. and some do have slavage ones)

that's about all the knowledge i know on it.. good luck man

-------

and about the pricing.. usually the market is flooded with chop-shop people - they will buy the slavage bike and just take it apart and sell it for 2x the price (we all know, the parts on a bike do not add up to the bike itself) - you will be getting into a market with a bunch of sharks..

if it's a salvage 05 RR and it has just fairing damage, it's got to be around $4,000 - like the 980 miles, it got some miles on it - the left side will be repairs (and fairing is what cost the most on a bike)

for the 5 mile one, it was because of the frieght shipping huh? i think i saw that bike before - well it's just fairing damage which is some bondo, sanding and re-painting. I would say $5,000-5,500.. i wouldnt really pay anymore because you are going to be doing some work and you want to get some money out of it because you put some man hours in it.. if they are asking for MSRP or like $200 near it, i wouldnt do it.. not worth it.

but laid down bikes with jsut fairing damage gives you an opp. to use some new body mods - and maybe still get $700-1000 off your bike...
- and if your buying all 3 of them, ask for a group discount - no doubt.. i say you can get all of them for $13,000 - then take off all the parts you want on "your" bike and then part out the rest on ebay or on these forums - which if sold for the right prices might take off a couple of grand from your totaly cost on your bike.. Just got to know your prices, and what your doing - and you can be a chop-shop pro haha