Power difference compared w/ the 07 & 08 cbr600rr?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power difference compared w/ the 07 & 08 cbr600rr?

so i have been reading that this two bikes are the exact same, aside from different color options with the 2008 model year. it seems though that motorcycle usa's dyno say otherwise. there dyno for the 2007 says max hp is only 103.2, where as for the 2008 it is reading 106.3. whats the deal with this? i know not all bikes are the exact same but this it a pretty substantial difference. is there a difference in the engine or electronic for the 2008 year to receive this bump in hp? heres a link to both dynos

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/Pho...ersport-HP.JPG

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/Pho...86385600hp.jpg

Old 05-10-2012, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by bmarcinczyk14
so i have been reading that this two bikes are the exact same, aside from different color options with the 2008 model year. it seems though that motorcycle usa's dyno say otherwise. there dyno for the 2007 says max hp is only 103.2, where as for the 2008 it is reading 106.3. whats the deal with this? i know not all bikes are the exact same but this it a pretty substantial difference. is there a difference in the engine or electronic for the 2008 year to receive this bump in hp? heres a link to both dynos

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/Pho...ersport-HP.JPG

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/Pho...86385600hp.jpg
The bikes are exactly the same. Never trust a dyno's power output numbers. Those can be altered and changes occur with temperature along with other factors. The only thing you really pay attention to from a dyno chart is the power curve. Where the power kicks in, is it a smooth line, etc. You use that to base your air/fuel tuning.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:29 PM
October 2011 ROTM

The 07 and 08 are the exact same bike. In 09 they adjusted the timing to lose a couple HP. Dyno readings you have to take with a grain of salt. Every dyno is going to be different. Also it was a year apart between these test so the calibration could be different. Also there are factors that could alter the reading like air temp, humidity, break in/how many miles on the bike, etc. I would use these numbers to know what bike has how much more power over another and not that the 07 has exactly 103.2 HP. Fact of the matter is these bikes have a lot of power and are extremely fast and you would never notice any slight power difference, which these bikes don't have from the factory.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by R Dub
The 07 and 08 are the exact same bike. In 09 they adjusted the timing to lose a couple HP. Dyno readings you have to take with a grain of salt. Every dyno is going to be different. Also it was a year apart between these test so the calibration could be different. Also there are factors that could alter the reading like air temp, humidity, break in/how many miles on the bike, etc. I would use these numbers to know what bike has how much more power over another and not that the 07 has exactly 103.2 HP. Fact of the matter is these bikes have a lot of power and are extremely fast and you would never notice any slight power difference, which these bikes don't have from the factory.
by the collaboration being different u are talking about the dyno and not the bikes correct?

Old 05-11-2012, 03:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well what theyre trying to get at is theres different types of dynos and different conversion factors that each one use to measure power. You could run your bike on 15 different dynos and get 15 different readings for how much power your bike makes (id be surprised if you didnt) but more than likely theyll all be within the same general range, + or - a couple hp. You could also run your bike on the same dyno on 15 different days and still get 15 different readings, or run 15 different 08 or 07 600rr's and get 15 different readings again. its never gonna be the same. like they said, air temp, altitude, humidity, it all changes the power output and those all change every day. Ignore dyno readings, theyre just good for giving you a general idea of power output, a couple hp isnt gonna mean anything and most likely wont be noticeable.

Dynos are just good for if you want to get a baseline on your bikes power output before you make some mods and then run it again on the same dyno on the same day, and generally within as close a timeframe as possible, to see the difference (hopefully improvement) in power.

In the real world, especially on the street, who gives a **** about 3 hp. Get the bike you like, and the one thats the best deal for you and dont worry about that. And just to reiterate, the 07-08s have the same engine, same internals, same mapping, same setup, etc. So dont even consider that into your purchase.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by nickp123
In the real world, especially on the street, who gives a **** about 3 hp.
Me.

Which is why I have a Full exhaust / PCV and IRC-2 waiting to go on.

I feel robbed by that 5hp less hahah. Damn 09's.

But really dude, buy the bike. Get the deal. Its the same as everyone has said. Unless you're Nicky Hayden or Stoner you'll never utilize such a small HP swing anyways. Unless you're track competitive, but thats a whole nother ball game.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:54 PM

whoa well i thought we were talking about 3 hp not 5. Now you can live your life a quarter mile at a time that much faster.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by nickp123
whoa well i thought we were talking about 3 hp not 5. Now you can live your life a quarter mile at a time that much faster.
Almost had me?? Had me?

You never even had your car.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 PM

naaawwwssss

Old 05-11-2012, 10:20 PM

Quick Reply: Power difference compared w/ the 07 & 08 cbr600rr?