plug n play HID

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: plug n play HID

It's about a third smaller than the regular ballast..............

Old 03-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the BMW e46 projector from a guy on the forum. The ballast and wiring was from an ebay kit (didn't see a reason to purchase a new ballast/ignitor). I think he still has two available for $35 each. http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...&highlight=

If you do the bi-xenon, the solenoid wires can be wired in to your relay (easy). I don't know if he has any more bulbs available, but you just need a D2S bulb (these are standard).

If you buy from the hidplanet store, you are going to pay retail prices for the kit. If you buy from people on the forum or people on ebay selling their stuff you will pay less. Its the same thing here on this forum vs a honda dealer.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:05 PM

Bluefox, I was able to keep all of my kit ballast and wiring. I just had to buy one of the d2sto amppigtails that come on aftermarket ballasts. The only thing you can't reuse is your kit bulb.

I had a 6,000k bulb in my kit, and the OEM of course is 4,300k. I like the look of the 6,000k bulb better, but the visibility of the 4,300k is greater.

I think the tsx projectors are single xenon, so as long as you dont mind not having the high beam, then they are more economical. The cool thing about the hidplanet forum is that they have posted all the dimensions of the different kinds of projectors so you know before hand whether you will have issues fitting the projector.

After looking at the e46 OEM shrouds (which are incredibly popular) you could probably fab a shroud using the same material that I used, but cut similar slits in it to get the "angel eye" ring effect. I'm thinking about trying it to see the results

Old 03-16-2008, 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: travisgarrison

elcoo, What projectors did you use? Do you remember how long they are?

BlueFox, are you looking at projectors made of gold? I think you are way overestimating the cost of the projector setup.

Here is the cost that I have:
2 Bi-xenon projectors $70
2 D2S bulbs $30-$40
2 Ballasts/Ignitors/Wiring $80

Total: $150-$160 ($200 max)
i use the acura tsx projectors. dont know how long there are. i bought them off ebay for like 160ish. I bought a hid kit off a different forum sponser, and that was almost 160ish. i didnt want to mess around with cheap hids. all together tho is was about 350ish and was totally worth it

Old 03-16-2008, 02:01 PM

I found a pair of HID projectors off a Lexus RX330 for 65 after shipping on eBay. eBay seemed to have a little higher prices than the forums in hidplanet.com's site. I'm putting this up there because it's pretty clear that the prices vary. If you want to spend $400 bones on a projector mod, then you can, I'm just saying that I spent way lessand it turned out fine.

T

Old 03-24-2008, 11:13 AM

After reading through this entire thread about 15 times over the last week, I'm still somewhat confused as to the exact bi-xenon kit that will work for the 07 and 08 CBR600RR without a ridiculous amount of modifications.

My understanding is that the stock bulbs are both H7, however xenonrider doesn't offer the bi-xenon for H7, of course because H7 is only a 2 wire connection, therefore only works for one light, and not low & hi beams. My other understanding is that H4 is identical to H7 except that H4 supports hi & lo in one bulb, therefore having a 3 wire connection. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not concerned with getting good projectors, or building a kit on my own or going nuts with modification, however I am willing to do some mods.

SO, if I were to purchase the H4 bi-xenon kit, with slim ballasts, what issues am I going to run into that are going to require modification?

Also, xenonrider.com has three different HID wiring harnesses, and I'm curious which will work in this case, as they have one for the bi-xenon, one for H7, and one for H4/9003.

I'm going to make a phone call to them today, but I thought I'd see if I could obtain any othervaluable info from everyone here who has already done it.