plug n play HID

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 01:40 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: plug n play HID

^^ Projectors are an incredible way of getting light to the road, no doubt about it. But chewing up a $500.00+ headlamp assembly, AND spending near $400 for 2 projectors with OEM DS2 bulbs and ballasts is a VERY hefty price tag to pay when I can get "better than stock, but not quite as good as projector" quality from a $89.00 kit. I can see much better with the aftermarket kit than with stock bulbs, and that's primarily what I was looking for at the time. I always wanted to do a projector modification to my bike (even on my previous 06 model), but it'll be an expensive project (not to mention, even more expensive if I mess up the headlamp housing.)

Old 03-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FOX.. i got a 2004 600RR. Which kit to get for HID's? The slim ballasts will be better right?

Old 03-13-2008, 04:21 PM

elcoo, What projectors did you use? Do you remember how long they are?

BlueFox, are you looking at projectors made of gold? I think you are way overestimating the cost of the projector setup.

Here is the cost that I have:
2 Bi-xenon projectors $70
2 D2S bulbs $30-$40
2 Ballasts/Ignitors/Wiring $80

Total: $150-$160 ($200 max)

If you are only doing one projector then cut that number in half

For an HID kit, $89 on eBay is for single xenon and many HID buffs consider them poorly made, $140+ if you want a decently made HID kit. So, I'm kind of confused where you got your number from.

Also, I don't think people are listening when I say that cuttingis not necessary with the proper projectors. The guy with theRR put holes in the back of his housing for adjustment screws, but if you fab yourself a bracket, you can use the stock adjustment screws and no cutting is necessary.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:41 PM

I got a new set of hid's DDM slim ballast 6,000k's if anyone is interested.PM me.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: travisgarrison

BlueFox, are you looking at projectors made of gold? I think you are way overestimating the cost of the projector setup.
I was actually looking at the kits that HID planet has on their site that includes the Bi-Xenon projector, OEM DS2 bulbs, harnesses and ballasts. A couple other sites had similarly priced equipment. I'm looking at either doing 2 low beams and 2 high beams (2 projectors per headlamp) or doing the bi-xenon kit (1 projector per headlamp with high/low HID combination similar to your setup).

What make/model of vehicle was your projector out of? I can find Acura TSX projectors for pretty cheap (much cheaper than when I was looking at them about a year ago).

Old 03-13-2008, 10:54 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: aaron1085

FOX.. i got a 2004 600RR. Which kit to get for HID's? The slim ballasts will be better right?
You have WAY more room to hide the larger ballasts up front than the 07/08 models do, so I would say GO WITH THE LARGER BALLASTS. I'm rather disappointed with my mini-ballasts. I'm really looking into doing the projector modification now just so I can gut the headlamp, throw in a projector and larger ballast into the housing and be done with it. The mini-ballast kits don't put out nearly as much light as the larger ballast kit I used on my 06. Hamster has the large ballast kit on his 07 (though, the forks rub up against the inside of the fairings now because they bulge out far too much.........but his headlamps (same color temperature as mine) are MUCH brighter than mine.

So to conclude, go with the larger ballast kit and follow my installation instructions that I wrote up using my 06. If you purchase the kit from the same eBay store as me, get the higher quality "80% Japanese Components" kit they have. The color and light output was better on those than the cheaper kits.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Banned

I just finished up installing my hid kit. Thought I ordered the slim kit, but received the regular ballast kit.

Had a hell of a time finding room for both ballast's but made it work. Glad I got the regular ballast, would hate to go through all of this and find out they put out less light.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Retired Moderator

^^ To be honest, you really can't tell that much of a difference unless you had the larger ballast kit before (as I did) or if an identical bike with the larger ballast kit pulled up next to you (and were really picky about details and can pick that stuff out).

I've always had a thing about having my headlamps look a certain way. I can't stand when headlamps are dim, misaligned, scattered pattern, etc. Ever since I started driving I've had this pet-peeve about headlamps (yeah I know, I'm a little odd.)

Old 03-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Banned

Blue- I probably would have noticed. The f4i had a hid kit with the regular ballast. I also have a kit on the car, and my roomate has one on his truck. So one way or another I probably would have noticed, I have somewhat of an eye for detail as well. Just glad I found the space for these things.

How much smaller in person is the "slim" ballast compared to the regular?

Quick Reply: plug n play HID