CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/)
-   -   pair valve mod? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/pair-valve-mod-44270/)

f3racer 07-11-2007 12:57 AM

pair valve mod?

anyone done the pair valve mod on their "07 600 rr. and does it have the flapper valve like alot of other ram air honda's do. i.e....the rc51 benefitted alot from the pair valve and flapper mods.

knightslugger 07-11-2007 01:29 AM

RE: pair valve mod?

he rc51 benefitted alot from the pair valve and flapper mods.
Flapper Valve, yes, PAIR mod, no. The PAIR valve has zero effect on power delivery. if anything, it reduces wieght (a whole whoppin' 1 lbs)

f3racer 07-11-2007 01:41 AM

maybe not HP or TQ butthe benefits from the pair mod were throttle responce as well as weight..

knightslugger 07-11-2007 01:48 AM

ORIGINAL: f3racer

maybe not HP or TQ but the benefits from the pair mod were throttle responce as well as weight..
Nope, try again. the PAIR Valve is an emissions control device and nothing else. If you'd like, i can explain how it works.

f3racer 07-11-2007 01:59 AM

its a scavenging system that reroutes unburnt fuels back into the motor. to be burnt. right?

knightslugger 07-11-2007 02:08 AM

incorrect. the PAIR valve injects (it's an anagram you know, Pulse Air Injection Regulator) air (o2) from the air box into the exhaust system just down stream of the exhaust valves. this allows unburned fuel to burn in the exhaust pipes before it reaches the atmosphere. without it, there would be no oxygen (or at least not enough) to combine with the hydrocarbons and get a complete burn thus reducing the environmental impact (yay EPA!). when people get an aftermarket slipon pipe, they often either praise or complain about exhaust popping. that's the PAIR Valve working. removing it removes the popping, but also makes your bike non smog legal and wont pass inspection. you'll fail for having too high a Hydrocarbon emissions count.

f3racer 07-11-2007 03:22 AM

we might be talking about this for a while. i dotn know where you learned the thing s you know about bikes, but it seems you have alot of knowledge. i being an MMI Hontech graduate, have over 20 yrs riding experience and roughly 15 yrs working on bikes. dont think for one second that i am questioning your knowledge or trying to be a dick about all this. i just want to be clear so that if i am in fact wrong about this i will no longer be. no matter if you have a stock exhaust or not, if oxygen being pumped into the exhaust causes it to be burnt before it exits then you would have backfire. no matter what.i know the california model actually has a pump that pumps air into the system for more strict standards. like on my 51 and my f3 my f3 was a cali model and it had an actual pump for injecting air but it injected it before the scavenging tubes so that it wasnt only fuel rich carbon monoxide going back into the engine.

knightslugger 07-11-2007 12:02 PM

ORIGINAL: f3racer

we might be talking about this for a while. i dotn know where you learned the thing s you know about bikes, but it seems you have alot of knowledge. i being an MMI Hontech graduate, have over 20 yrs riding experience and roughly 15 yrs working on bikes. dont think for one second that i am questioning your knowledge or trying to be a dick about all this. i just want to be clear so that if i am in fact wrong about this i will no longer be.
Alright.

no matter if you have a stock exhaust or not, if oxygen being pumped into the exhaust causes it to be burnt before it exits then you would have backfire. no matter what.
not quite. since the RR has a pressrised exhuast system (and the 07 has a variable valve, pretty ingious really) and that the valves close really, really fast, and considering how small the explosion is, it never makes it's why back to the combustion chamber, so it just spikes the pressure in the manifold (pre catalyzer) and life goes on. it's more of a forward fire, than a back fire as backfire suggests it travels back to the source of fuel. this is not the case as you know i'm sure.

i know the california model actually has a pump that pumps air into the system for more strict standards. like on my 51 and my f3 my f3 was a cali model and it had an actual pump for injecting air but it injected it before the scavenging tubes so that it wasnt only fuel rich carbon monoxide going back into the engine.
I am unfamiliar with both bikes as well as the California Emmissions Equipment found on bikes sold for use in California. You may very well be right. I should have stated earlier that i am STRICTLY talking about Non-california motors. i was unaware you were talking about a CA bike from the word go. however the function of the PAIR valve remains the same. the fuel scavageing system MIGHT play into throttle responce, i don't know. i don't know the routing of that paticular system.

f3racer 07-11-2007 12:12 PM

ok, now that i have been schooled. no i wasnt talking about a cali model from jump. i graduated from hontech in 02 before the rr was even produced so the only air injection device ive seen is on california model bikes. thank you for taking the time to explain this stuff to me. now for the flapper mod. is there a ram air "flapper" on the 07 rr? and last but not least where the hell did you learn all this ****?

knightslugger 07-11-2007 12:26 PM

I don't believe there is a speed sensitive control valve in the ram intake section on the 07 RR. i've not myself taken a close enough look to say one way or anouther if there is one, however i have read nothing to say that there is one.

as for where i learned all this? Old bikes, personal experience and lots and lots of research as well as a listening to a few who have been wrenching on bikes since before Jesus, and one particularity interesting old mechanical engineer who used to race. book smarts only go so far i've come to realize. For me, it takes a little hands on to understand how it works (big time hands on learner), and then it takes a book or other source to understand WHY it works the way it does.