CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/)
-   -   Okay, how F***ed am I (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/okay-how-f-ed-am-i-77712/)

Kleetz 09-08-2008 06:24 PM

Okay, how F***ed am I

I was getting gas and as im closing the gas cap (impropertly) i broke my key...Now, i got the key out of the gas cap hole and me, thinking this would work i put the other half (broken half) into my IGNITION[sm=badidea.gif][sm=badidea.gif][sm=violin.gif]so guess what...i cannot get that sucker out. WHAT THE HELL did i get myself into???

a whole new ignition setup/piece?? cause that would be terrible.

What should I do guys???? I feel like such a n00b/retard/defeated person

Blue Fox 09-08-2008 06:26 PM

RE: Okay, how F***ed am I

You should be able to somehow get in there with VERY fine tools and dig it out. I would also suggest calling or taking the bike to a locksmith and see if he can dig it out for you. If it went in, it can come out.......with some convincing.

randyjoy 09-08-2008 07:29 PM

There is a tool specifically designed for removing broken keys...a locksmith should have one; you can make one yourself, too. Many moons ago when I was taught how to pick locks (legally, of course) the toolkit had one in it. Looks like a very thin sawblade. You stick it in; the teeth grab the key and pulls it out.

shoortbuss 09-08-2008 09:17 PM

Ohhhh man, you stuck a broken key into your ignition?!? I suppose I don't need to tell you how unwise that move was. +1 on calling a professional. Don't dig yourself any deeper bro.

soccer13pro2007 09-09-2008 01:17 AM

lol, if you only knew how keys work, you would have avoided this whole problem
they have to make all the bars go up (in layman's terms) so the full length is required
if you didnt already know that
if not then there you go, dont try it again, lol

Kleetz 09-09-2008 08:00 AM

^^ yes, it was very very unwise on my part. Live and learn. The hard way. I will be calling a locksmith to see what they can do about this. Hopefully something works out in my favor. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the help/advice.

shoortbuss 09-09-2008 01:12 PM

You can get instructional DVDs on this subject. If you don't have a DVD player, just jam the DVD into your VCR. :D

GSU_08RR 09-09-2008 01:27 PM

ORIGINAL: shoortbuss

You can get instructional DVDs on this subject. If you don't have a DVD player, just jam the DVD into your VCR. :D
:DLOL!

ta8218 09-09-2008 02:47 PM

Whatever you do, don't do what you just did.

(don't get more **** stuck in there)

soccer13pro2007 09-09-2008 04:10 PM

yeah, our girls are never happy when we stick a half rod in the hole...

redbbwoy 09-10-2008 11:32 AM

^^ even worse...wen we break it too...haha
which rarely happens..but jus 4 sh!ts n gigglez

Kleetz 09-11-2008 08:34 AM

quick update...

Called a few locksmiths...

One started talking about taking the lock cylinder out (i dont think that necessary). He also doesn't guarantee that'll it'll come out - $75.00

The other one specializes with motorcycles and scooters. Just by talking to him on the phone he seems kinda difficult to deal with - $150.00 (didn't say anything about guaranteeing the work but seemed confident)

Anyone know of any places in Maryland...(preferably the Baltimore/Pikesville/Reisterstown area)???

Kleetz 09-11-2008 08:36 AM

I got a quick question for you guys as well. If i call up Honda, give them my VIN # plus any other info would they be able to supply me with a new key for my bike????

redbbwoy 09-11-2008 03:30 PM

^^ yea they should be able to...

wen u bought ur bike there shud have been a little plate attached to one of your keys.
on that plate, it has your specific key code that they would need to go ahead a cut a new one for u...
HOPEFULLY....u HAVE it??

Kleetz 09-12-2008 07:52 AM

nope, the original owner lost the key...He told me he had a locksmith come in and make him one (which he said took forever). So if I dont have this code they won't make a key...I think they still maybe able to...HOPEFULLY

Kleetz 10-01-2008 08:12 AM

Update:

Well, I got the key out!!!!!!!

There was no way that a toothpick/paperclip/lock picking tools(that I bought) or tweezers could have gotten that piece out. Not that it was too small or anything, there was just no way near enough space to maneuver.

So I took the ignition apart. Very easy task once you get past the damn locktyte on the two bolts holding it in place...let me tell you how much of a PITA that was.

With the ignition apart and the actual locking mechanism in my hand my lock picking tools still couldn't get the job done (maybe i lack skill in this department)

Took the thing to a locksmith...FIVE minutes and FIVE dollars later I was on my way home with a new key in on hand and my lock in the other!!!! Mind you that I called EVERYWHERE in the Towson/Baltimore/Reisterstown area...there are NO brick and mortar locksmiths...like NONE everyone is MOBILE which is lame cause they were trying to charge me from 75-150+ for a five minute job.

If you have lock issues like myself and live in either one of those three areas, check out Easters Lock N Key on Loch Raven Boulevard...great place

gtwags 10-13-2008 07:55 PM

I was gonna suggest tipping the bike upside down and shaking...guess i'm too late:)

Blue Fox 10-14-2008 02:56 AM

^^ ROTFLMAO! Mental pictures are the greatest!

shoortbuss 10-14-2008 09:55 AM

ORIGINAL: gtwags

I was gonna suggest tipping the bike upside down and shaking...guess i'm too late:)
BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

I like this guy...why doesn't he post more?

hawk600rr 10-16-2008 01:10 AM

I called 3 honda dealers when I lost my key for my 06. I had that little tag with the numbers on it and they all told me that was nice and all but I needed to buy a whole new ignition/key set. I thought, "wtf is this tag for?!" oh well, I found my spare key and still haven't made copies of it... I suppose I should??:D

Kleetz 10-17-2008 12:04 PM

^^ please do man!!!!

jfunkRR 10-17-2008 03:38 PM

Thank heavens my bike came with two keys, and the spare is in my safe. BUT OH NO!! WHAT IF I LOOSE MY SAFE KEY?!?!? [:o]

lol

I guess I could just shake my safe till it opens.

scorpion2420 10-18-2008 10:28 PM

im sure if you go to a honda dealer or call the right ext at honda they will help you out if you give them VIN# and proof of ownership. and how far down is it stuck, my friend is a mechanic and he has thin magnets that looks like a coat hanger to get **** out of tight area's