Oil Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 05:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What have you been using and why would you change?

I just changed mine (2k miles) and used Honda HP4S which is the same as we use in our MX bikes.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:59 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
See Rdub - why can't you be more helpful like Raylee.
Sorry Nate, I have failed you

Old 05-26-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by R Dub
Sorry Nate, I have failed you
No, Nate definitely failed by making this thread.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:01 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by DammitMike
No, Nate definitely failed by making this thread.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:35 PM

mx-4-2
What have you been using and why would you change?

I just changed mine (2k miles) and used Honda HP4S which is the same as we use in our MX bikes.
I use synthetics in both my street bikes and dirt bikes as I'm comfortable in using them . I was using motul until the price of that oil went beyond being affordable , and I used amsoil for a time but had some problems getting it in my area , and that was getting too pricey to order anymore . I found out that the previous owner of my Hurricane was using standard automotive oil in the bike and I just replaced the clutch in it , and I don't use standard oil in any of my bikes . I just find my bikes last longer and have very little problem wear & tear wise with synthetics . I've re-built my xr200r honda dirt bike 2 times now using castrol mx 4 stroke brand / type (I had a case of it I got wholesale), and it has lasted 3 times longer on the 2nd rebuild now using synthetic oil then when I used the standard 4 stroke oil . If I ever was to use any standard oil in even my lawn mower ,, let alone my bikes ,,it would be Rotella oil . But in the end of all this talk of oil ,, its my preference and my money ,and I use what has worked very well for many years . If I'm gonna invest in buying and using my bikes , I'm gonna protect my investment as best as possible .
I care for my bikes and they last longer because of it. Just ask my neighbor,,I see him buying a new dirt bike just about every year because he trashes his bikes and uses standard oil ..never rebuilds anything on them , let alone his motor,,he just trades in that one for a new one ,,and I still give him a problem on the track with my old 1990 XR200R (Big Bore Kit Modified) LOL!! He just got a new one again ,,looks like a suzuki 250 this time ,,maybe a bit of fun at the track ,,AGAIN!! LOL!!
I switched to Lucas brand Motorcycle synthetic oil because I use some of their other products and they work . (DAM! , I sound like a commercial LOL!) Plus its more convenient (auto parts store), affordable and Endurance race proven . Next oil change on my dirt bikes , I'll use it in them . The Lucas synthetic oil is working very well in my other bikes ,, only time ,,& price will tell if I continue using it . Oh , spare me the "standard VS synthetic" pissing contest (I.E. Oil changes / maintenance) , I'm not interested , nor is it worth the internet ink to get into that ,,,just ask R Dub ,,he counted the threads! LOL!!

Old 05-26-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Steel Horse Rider
mx-4-2

Oh , spare me the "standard VS synthetic" pissing contest (I.E. Oil changes / maintenance) , I'm not interested , nor is it worth the internet ink to get into that ,,,just ask R Dub ,,he counted the threads! LOL!!
Steel Horse - I am not questioning synthetics. Actually I use Mobil 1 in my cars and truck. Honda's HP4S that I use in my bikes is their premium synthetic oil for motorcycles. Probably not any better then other synthetics but in the scheme of it all, not a lot of money.

Nate - my question was more to you as you clearly have been riding for a while and have seen something that led you to ask the question. I am just curious what you have been using any why you were/are looking for something else.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:25 AM

My apologies MX-4-2 . I do know what Honda HP4S is (I own 4 Honda bikes). I wasn't implying that you were debating anything ,, I said what I said in general because when getting into "what oil" is this or that , someone always jumps in with the " that's a bunch of bull-crap " thing . It wasn't aimed at you .
I also didn't see you were talking mostly to nate . I didn't see "nate" in your posting as you posted after what I wrote and thought you were referring to me . My bad .

Old 05-28-2011, 07:21 PM

Amsoil has been working for me the past few years

Old 05-30-2011, 07:09 PM

i just used Mobil 1 for motorcycles a couple days ago and working well. it was $10/qt but last time i did an oil change i paid the shop ~$100 i think. the oil filter was hard as hell to get off.

@nate- whats wrong w/ octane questions?? lol, i just asked one earlier, haha

Old 06-06-2011, 06:41 PM

Sorry for the delay in my response.

I've never used Synthetic in a bike before, but have always used them in my Vehicles.

Just wanted to see what my fellow CBRF peeps have been using. I think i'm going to switch the bike over to Repsol synthetic.

Quick Reply: Oil Recommendations