CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/)
-   -   Oil + Filter (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/oil-filter-47998/)

ctskydive 08-24-2007 07:01 PM

Oil + Filter

So my bike is finally at just under 600 miles. (07 600RR)
Gonna do the service myself (and save a few pesos) can anyone recommend a good oil + filter. Manual recomends GN4...It also states a 10W-30 but GN4 is a 10W40?
I would just like to know what type of filters and oil has worked wellfor you all in the past.
Thanks everyone

knightslugger 08-24-2007 09:29 PM

RE: Oil + Filter

GN4 sucks ass. I've got a UOA to prove it. unless that is you want to change your oil every 1500 miles... use a full synthetic like Amsoil or Mobil1. I haven't tested Honda's HP4S and have heard nothing about it BUT it is the only 10W30 Motorcycle specific oil i can find around, which is what Honda has now recommended for all their engines.

I use ONLY Amsoil MCF and i prefer the Purolator PureONE filters. better oil, better filter.

baxsom 08-25-2007 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

GN4 sucks ass. I've got a UOA to prove it. unless that is you want to change your oil every 1500 miles... use a full synthetic like Amsoil or Mobil1. I haven't tested Honda's HP4S and have heard nothing about it BUT it is the only 10W30 Motorcycle specific oil i can find around, which is what Honda has now recommended for all their engines.

I use ONLY Amsoil MCF and i prefer the Purolator PureONE filters. better oil, better filter.
dealer told me that honda still wants you to utilize the ambient temperature chart in your owners manual to determine what weight oil to use, that they 10w30 thing is a baseline thing.
my 07 600RR came off the showroom floor with 10w40 in it. (i asked)

oil is such a touchy subject though, everytime you ask you are going to millions of different answers and then millions more proving the other people wrong.

main thing is just change it as often as your wallet will allow and at least at the 600, 8000 and so on

i change mine with mobile 1 15w50 gold cap based on all the raving reviews that i have read about how great it performs in motorcycles every 4K miles splitting the service interval in half.

Gville George 08-25-2007 03:34 PM

do you run 15w50 to handle the heat? and is it bad to switch brands of oil once you started useing one kind, i have heard people say that and i wasnt sure if it was a myth or not.

knightslugger 08-25-2007 09:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Gville George

do you run 15w50 to handle the heat? and is it bad to switch brands of oil once you started useing one kind, i have heard people say that and i wasnt sure if it was a myth or not.
15w50 will actually create more heat since it's more viscous. you can switch, it's only bad when you dont switch out the oil when it's time.

CBRYDR 08-25-2007 09:59 PM

I picked up Repsol synthetic blend 10w40 myself today.

baxsom 08-26-2007 08:24 AM

15w50 will actually create more heat since it's more viscous. you can switch, it's only bad when you dont switch out the oil when it's time.
100+ outside and temps havent changed
180 while riding 220-224 while at stop lights

exact same as before, but its the first time i have put the 15w-50 in and i only have about 100 miles on it. the oil expert on 1000rr.net says its the best oil he has ever seen for a motorcycle so i thought i would try it.

Gville George 08-26-2007 12:19 PM

I ment so it wouldnt thin as much from the heat.

baxsom 08-26-2007 02:25 PM

I ment so it wouldnt thin as much from the heat.

yes
that the theory i have decided to subscribe to

Timbo 007 08-27-2007 02:12 PM

Where would one pick up some Repsol synthetic?