oil change. performance +?

Old 05-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change. performance +?

So i changed my oil, first time on my 06. i have changed oil in my old F4i before so i knew what i was doing and what to expect, but there is something different that i noticed now.

for one thing, why the hell does honda hate their customers? i spent 3 hours trying to gake off the dam filter.. i tried hand, screwdriver, wrench, then went to kragens and got an oem tool that is supposed to be easy to use... didnt work. i basically ended up smashing the thing and using a tool to scrap it out...very dangerous.

anyways, i put new mobul 10w40 , full synthetic and a k&n filter (which is the best). heres my question.

so i know the bottles and boxes say "performance enhancer" or whatever, but i had never actually noticed a performance change between oil changes before.. this morning, my bike warmed up quicker, accellorated quicker, and stayed constant at 175degrees instead of getting up to like 200. does full synthetic/ clean oilmake that much of a difference or am i crazy?
or can that bad *** filter make any difference other than looking cool?

Old 05-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Default RE: oil change. performance +?

is being at that temperature what is desirable? I noticed that mine fluctuates alot between ~170 to ~220..bad?

Old 05-12-2008, 01:32 PM

I don't think that your oil changed caused anything that you described. And an easy way to get to your filter. Remove the RHS fairing and unbolt the coolant reservoir tank. Then you are able to gain access to the filter and remove it easily. I know the OEM tool is hard to get in there. Sometimes using an oil filter plier thing may prove to be easier in your case. Like those adjustable plier setup, or the metal or rubber band type that wraps around and has a handle that lets you use leverage. I use the oil filter socket that has a 17mm nut welded at the end where you can use your wrench or has the 3/8 adapter to use a ratchet when it is easier. An oil filter only filters oil, and a K&N filter may filter smaller particles that stock may not get. And the motul oil may let it run cooler by reducing friction but nothing as dramatic as you are suggesting. But just good job on keeping up on the maintenance. That is what's most important. Hope my tip helps you with your next filter change.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Banned

does full synthetic/ clean oilmake that much of a difference or am i crazy?
aside from better shifting, other differencesshow very minor changes.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:41 PM

i always heard you should not run synthetic until about 4000 miles some people say more like 8000 miles. i would like to know how this effects your bike. bad or good. let us know please

Old 05-12-2008, 07:29 PM

surfscal- i did that, i actually took the left lower off and realised i needed to take the right off.. then took the coolant out and was left to struggle with the crappy honda filter. the guy i got it from got his **** done at the stealer, and they put it on way too tight that makes removal almost imposible. i literally had the thing pinched in half in between that oem tool to get it out.
and, i now have that same filter, thats the only one i buy cuz removal is just so much easier. 17mm bolt on top is a blessing, i think its called k&n performance gold or something.

~Mclovin, temp can range from 170 to 235? and be safe (may be 245 or something higher) no prop to run at 200 or 225 at a light, just as long as the fan comes on and it doesnt get above about 235. this new oil tho really does keep temp down and i think it makes my rpms rip faster.. maybe its just me but i was feelin a difference today.

anyways, i hope full syn isnt bad, its all i use and im at 1500 miles on my 06 with a full synth... it should hold up knock on wood.

i guess anything runs better with new blood, thanks tho guys