Octane discreptancy, a must read.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 03:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Octane discreptancy, a must read.

Hey guys and gals.

I have a 2004 CBR 600RR and in the manual it states 86 octane or higher is the recommended for this bike. With that said if you look in the owner's manual, we should be changing gears every 6miles our so until we get into 6th gear, so basically about 36miles/hour or so in 6th gear is recommended. With that kind of riding, yeah I guess 86 or higher octane is perfect for that application. But who the hell rides like that? If your riding hard like the average joe, than a higher octane gas is recommended in my opinion. Another heads up for you guys and gals. The other day I looked under my back seat, and noticed a sticker with info for my bike. You know info like spark gap size, tire info, and oh yeah octane recommendation. CHECK THIS OUT.... Honda recommends 91 octane for my bike afterall [sm=yikesomg.gif]. No sh*t. Check your sticker and let me know if yours has the same thing. I bought my bike in Canada, but that shouldn't make a difference. Ever since I noticed the sticker, I've switched to 91 octane. Bike runs the same as it was with 87 octane to tell you the truth. But I just wanted to go with what the sticker seat said. I just picked the higher number, to make sure because in 2nd gear I'm doing over a hundred on most days, so I just don't feel right using 87. Why would there be a discreptancy from what is stated in the manual and what is stated under the back seat on a sticker? Okay guys you know the drill, go to your back seat and read the sticker, do you see 91 on there? Let me know, and let the forum know this as well. I'd hate to see someone screw up there bike, because they were running 87 when really we should be riding 91 minimum. Just my 2 canadian cents. And no I'm not trying to argue or go against other opinions about what octane you should be using. I'm simply stating the facts that I found, thats all.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:44 AM
Default RE: Octane discreptancy, a must read.

ORIGINAL: HondaCBR600RRhunk

Hey guys and gals.

I have a 2004 CBR 600RR and in the manual it states 86 octane or higher is the recommended for this bike. With that said if you look in the owner's manual, we should be changing gears every 6miles our so until we get into 6th gear, so basically about 36miles/hour or so in 6th gear is recommended. With that kind of riding, yeah I guess 86 or higher octane is perfect for that application. But who the hell rides like that? If your riding hard like the average joe, than a higher octane gas is recommended in my opinion. Another heads up for you guys and gals. The other day I looked under my back seat, and noticed a sticker with info for my bike. You know info like spark gap size, tire info, and oh yeah octane recommendation. CHECK THIS OUT.... Honda recommends 91 octane for my bike afterall [sm=yikesomg.gif]. No sh*t. Check your sticker and let me know if yours has the same thing. I bought my bike in Canada, but that shouldn't make a difference. Ever since I noticed the sticker, I've switched to 91 octane. Bike runs the same as it was with 87 octane to tell you the truth. But I just wanted to go with what the sticker seat said. I just picked the higher number, to make sure because in 2nd gear I'm doing over a hundred on most days, so I just don't feel right using 87. Why would there be a discreptancy from what is stated in the manual and what is stated under the back seat on a sticker? Okay guys you know the drill, go to your back seat and read the sticker, do you see 91 on there? Let me know, and let the forum know this as well. I'd hate to see someone screw up there bike, because they were running 87 when really we should be riding 91 minimum. Just my 2 canadian cents. And no I'm not trying to argue or go against other opinions about what octane you should be using. I'm simply stating the facts that I found, thats all.
You are misinterpreting the sticker on your bike. The sticker and the manual are actually saying the same thing. Read this (I just don't feel like re-typing it)

Old 10-10-2006, 04:29 AM

get yer earplugs ready.....

Old 10-10-2006, 04:52 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are ya trollin?[:@]

We have many pages of info on octane -- just hit the search button and you'll find hours of interesting reading. All of which leads to the conclusion that the only reason to run the higher octane is if you're experiencing detonation (knocking) issues. Generally detonation should not occur in a mostly stock application -- if you're bike is knocking very noticeably then you probably have other issues to address.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:13 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH NO! Here it comes........pandora's box has been opened.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:19 AM

Under the seat it states 93RON. We don't use the RON standard. our standard is (RON+MON)/2 or PON. it's a compromise system. RON is higher than MON and we get stuck in the middle.

a 93RON is a 82MON, and when you use the PON method, you get :shock: 87.5 PON...

HondaCBR600RRhunk, you are a fuqing retard. period. over 100mph on any given day? what kind of flowers do you want at your funeral? make sure you tell someone, cuz with that attitude you're not going to last long.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: HondaCBR600RRhunk

Hey guys and gals.

Reading this post gives the impression that you have absolutely no freakin' clue about what octane is or does for an engine...you're rejoicing because you found a sticker under the passenger pillion that says you can put in 91 RON!!! Yippie freakin' skippy!!! If your bike isn't pinging or knocking then there's no need to go to a higher octane fuel, but whatever floats your boat dude...

I think in Europe 95 RON equals our 87 octane...not entirely sure though...

Old 10-10-2006, 12:31 PM

Actually under the seat it just says 91. There is no RON, MON, or PON anywhere near this number. So I figured it was 91 octane, so sue me. I always ran 87 octane until I went riding with 5 other more experienced riders who always use 91 no matter what. We use high compression engines folks. Thats the only rationale they gave me. Also in the manual it states you should be shifting every 6miles/hour in every gear. Do you follow that recommendation as well?? I don't think so, so why follow the 86 octane recommendation either. If you ride like a *****, you need the lower quality juice in your bike. But these guys are doing about 130 most of the time when they are out riding on the nice twisty roads. At 100 I can't catch up to them, so there are always two bikes behind me a few feet to keep on eye on me. You know the drill. Anyways not arguing, I can't notice a difference using 87 or 91, the only difference is price, and even then its not a big difference. I'll start using 89 for a comprimise to make both sides happy.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:00 PM

One more thing I wanted to add. I have a powercommander on this bike, and the tuner got me within the ideal range about 13:1-13.3. That is starting to get closer to the lean side of things. He said that it wouldn't hurt to use 91 either. Maybe its just cheap insurance thats all. If I'm on the verge of pinging or knocking, than 91 should clear up those issues perhaps.
Side note: On my 04 mustang cobra, I use 91, and 94 octane and 100 octane. I have a hand held tuner, and a separate program for each. By using 94 instead of 91, I get 15 horses more, as evidenced by the dyno. But it was tuned for it, it was a leaner tune. Say for 91 I was in the 11.6:1 A:F ratio, I am now about 11.9:1 A:F when using higher octane. My 100 octane setting is when I run nitrous. The tuner had to add fuel in the program to bring the A:F ratio down to 11.1:1(rich), because when using nitrous, this will create a leaner condition, which brought my A:F ratio up to 11:8.1 with a 100 shot on the dyno. So I know when to use higher octane and when not to use it, so maybe the same principles apply to a bike? Not trying to act smart, I just haven't had one solid answer from anyone. My bike is running ideal but closer to lean condition. I could get a really cold front coming through the ram air going 150 one day, and this could create an even more lean condition. It would be nice to have the higher octane for insurance. I don't want to ping or knock I hear its not good for the engine and pistons and sh*t. So its preventative maintenance!!

Old 10-10-2006, 01:16 PM

HondaCBR600RRhunk...I'm not sure what you're expecting out of a high octane fuel...are you looking for a horse power gain, because you won't get it from a higher octane gas...does your bike ping...Then use a higher octane fuel...so you use 1,000,000 octane in your orange with 5000,000 hp gain on the dyno, but we're talking apples here...I bet you put Royal Purple in your Mustang too and get 5 more horse power too

Let me get this straight...if you ride like a ***** then use 87 octane...if you ride like a GP star then use 91 octane? That makes absolutely no sense at all!!! I bet your friends are able to do 130 without 91 octane too, but if they keep riding like that it eventually won't matter what they use because caskets don't use gas.

Quick Reply: Octane discreptancy, a must read.