not sure if this is a problem or not

Old 03-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not sure if this is a problem or not

this doesn't happen all the time...but lately when i start up my bike, i rev the engine up a bit to get it going while idle...but at the lower rpms it doesnt seem like it wants to rev. now, i'm thinking bc its the cold weather and the engine hasn't warmed up yet...but i've never really experienced this before and just wanted to get some input. last week, i started it up...put up the kick stand...reved it up...and it died on me...i started it up again and reved again and worked fine. i didn't ride for maybe about a week before this(and i normally ride everyday...so maybe b/c it was sitting for a while?), but just wasn't sure if this was normal.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: not sure if this is a problem or not

it's not normal, but for extremely cold temps, it will happen. too much fuel will choke out the engine, especially a cold one.

does it do it when it's warm too? if it does then you gots problems.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:52 PM

well...its not extremely cold here in texas. once i do let the engine warm up it seems to be fine...with no problems. still strange?

Old 03-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how cold is it in tejas?

Old 03-27-2006, 06:40 PM

hmm... yeah... i'm with tahoe... this is not normal. i've ridden in the teens up here in IL and when i start it up i've never had that problem. you probably don't need to rev it while it's warming up. in fact, when it's COLD out i don't touch the throttle till it hits 100 degrees on my temp guage.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:44 PM

i see......hmmmmm.......... any ideas what it could be?

Old 03-27-2006, 06:54 PM

well sitting for a week won't hurt the bike... so i doubt it's that. so when you start your bike in colder temps... will it idle fine without you revving it?

Old 03-27-2006, 07:56 PM

idles fine. it only died once on me that one time. also sitting that one week....i thought maybe my alarm could have drained it (having the alarm and perimeter sensor on constantly)? not too sure though.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:07 PM

dont think that would make it die right off the bat... I dont rev mine either till it hits at least 100, usually 120-130, then i will take off an run it slow so as not to annoy the neighbors, but then again, maybe im overcautions... but I do believe it takes a bit for the oil pick up an all that to get what it needs, so i let it idle without revs, even when its warm out, if its first start of the day, she idles till the temp picks up... not sure... im only sure I prolly didnt help but only wasted your time, but i tried [&:]

good luck,]

Chris

Old 03-28-2006, 02:17 PM

ORIGINAL: BlindLOKI

im only sure I prolly didnt help but only wasted your time, but i tried [&:]

good luck,]

Chris
you shouldn't feel that way....any and all input is appreciated. i'm still really new to riding (and even if i weren't), comming into these forums and getting other riders thoughts and opinions is what its for. so thanks for the post man. we're all here to help each other out by putting in our insight on a situation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: not sure if this is a problem or not