noobie w/2 questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 05:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noobie w/2 questions...

hi- i just posted in the welcome area but...

i have 2 questions since i purchased the bike..

1- im a big guy (280 lbs) when i hit the brakes the front end dives kinda hard, what rebound ect should be adjusted? (besides my diet)

2- i have the "Graffiti" paint.. will the black honda accessory passenger seat cover match the Graffiti theme?

thanks in advance!

Old 08-13-2008, 06:38 AM
Default RE: noobie w/2 questions...

To control the "dive" on braking, you want to adjust the dampening
(Bound AKA compression) ofthe forks,
(increasing the spring rate could also help but it would mean purchasing
new springs) the downside of making the front "harder" is that
all the bumps in the road will get transmitted straight to your hands/arms
so yoou'll fatigue quicker, and the bike will feel nervous (slightly unstable)
The black color could combine, but it won't be the same.
Grafitti has a flat base color, as the regular black is glossy.
Honda sells the cowl in the Grafitti color, but your best bet would be
to find it on ebay for a better deal.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:10 AM

Increase the spring pre-load... It can be done by turning the blue nuts on the top of the shock tubes. I think a lot of nose-dive will eliminate itself after you gain some experience on the bike. Bike control under braking is one of the things that takes practice.

If you have a local shop that does setups, I would recommend having your suspension set to your weight by a tech, as you do weigh more then the average ride on a mid-class bike.

If you want to try this yourself, just google for motorcycle suspension tuning guide and read up, there is plenty of information out their that will explain to you what everthing does and how it effects the ride and reaction of the bike.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:25 AM

thanks guys... after a few weeks of riding i have gotten better at stopping the bike with min. nose-dive.

experience is all i needed,

i found the Grafetti color cowl on ebay used for cheap as well.

thanks.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:09 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For front end dive issues.........make sure you are using the rear brake properly. A lot of people underestimate the power the rear brake has. From 40 mph, you can stop with only the rear brake rather quickly (video's of that posting up soon).

But practice in a parking lot. Find out how much pressure it takes to lock the rear brake and under what circumstances so you can use the brake to it's fullest. Using the rear brake pulls the bike, and the front brakes push the front end down......when you use both together equally, the bike stays balanced and stable. You'll notice that only using the front brake brisky, the bike becomes unstable during the stop, because the nose dives excessively, versus using both brakes equally, which keeps the bike planted and controlled and balanced during a quick stop (or even a slow one at that).

Also, you should probably take the bike to the shop and have your suspension adjusted for your weight. These bikes were adjusted from the factory with a rider weighing around 160-170. Having the suspension adjusted for your weight will help with handling, braking and acceleration......as well as overall comfort and the avoidance of possibly bottoming out the suspension.

I had my 06 600RR adjusted specifically for my weight wearing my usual gear, and it helped significantly. I had my 07 adjusted as well, but I guess I hit the weight mark dead on because it was a VERY minor adjustment from the factory settings.

Hope this helps man.