Noob reviving my partially working 2006 CBR 600rr

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Noob reviving my partially working 2006 CBR 600rr

Hey guys, somewhat recently (May 2019) I bought a cbr 600rr off cl with about 30,000 miles on it. When i picked it up it ran decent, but there were some problems right off that bat:

-Handlebars shake when braking (Needs new brake pads and I need to clean the bobbins I assume)

-Tachometer doesn't work. Does the swoop on start up, but stays at zero for the rest of the time. The PO said it only started doing that when he haphazardly installed the integrated tail lights

-Right turn signal doesn't work. Neither on the dash or the back tail light.

-About a month or so in the bike started overheating to the point of the oil light coming on. I assumed it was due to a coolant leak (Haven't found yet)

However, it gets slightly more interesting since I had to have back surgery in August, and I left the bike sitting for about 6 months now. I just started getting the bike ready for action again this week. Some things I found:

- The left side breather hose connected to the coolant reservoir overflow hose. Is this normal?

- The coolant reservoir was practically caked with dirt on the inside. I tried getting a pressure washer to wash it out, but I don't think it did much. Awesome.

I emptied the gas tank via disconnecting it and flipping it upside down. I tried to get all the gas out but there was still a little bit of sloshing that I couldn't seem to get. I also flushed the coolant out and put new prestone 50/50 in it. Put a new battery in and started it up, it seems to have run ok for the first few minutes, but after about an hour of me turning it on and off(during the coolant flush) it died immediately after the engine turning over. I had just put about a gallon of gas in, so I re-attached the fuel line and it seemed to run a little better, but I had to turn up the idle to practically full blast on the idle screw and give it some throttle when starting. Once it was warmed up it seemed ok, but I'll check again tomorrow. Tachometer doesn't work so i dunno the rpms :*)

Sorry for the somewhat ranty article, but I am a pretty bad mechanic as this is my first time really working on any automobiles. I'll be updating this thread as I go along because I know the some of the issues I'm having (esp the Tachometer one) I couldn't find a solution online for. Tomorrow I plan to change out the oil and dump the tank again. Here are my main questions from day 1:

- How exactly are the fuel lines supposed to sit underneath the fuel tank? I aligned the tank end side with the bracket, but it seems really awkward, in addition to my breather tubes just hanging out the sides of the bike.
- Should I remove the fuel pump and dump my fuel again? Was this the cause of the bike not starting/ having rough idles? Is there a fair chance I messed up my injectors?
- Should the gas tank breather/overflow connect with the coolant reservoir overflow?
- When re-installing the new battery I broke off the main thick cable that connects to what I assume is the positive end of the start relay. What gauge wire is this? I have to extend it a little further.
- What other problems should I expect to run into? My repair list goes - spark plugs(if it still starts badly), brake pad/fluid bleed, new tires, chain adjustment/replacement, and cleaning up the f'd up wiring of this bike(duct tape/electrical tape everywhere, wires all out and tangled)

Any help is GREATLY appreciated - I feel I'm in a little over my head but I gotta get this bike working as my new DD asap.