No start thread Cranking, but not turning over. Could you check out what I have researched?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:19 PM
R R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start thread Cranking, but not turning over. Could you check out what I have researched?

Well I got all suited up to head to class this morning and the damn thing gives me the first trouble I have seen since owning it.

I inserted the key, turned to on, flipped ignition switch to "on", the bike primed and then I hit the starter. I was in neutral.

It cranks like it wants to go but just wont turn over. I can hear a faint boom boom boom noise like a muffled drum almostand the exhaust smells like gas.

Could I just have a list of what to check in what order please. I am in the middle of swapping 3 motors and this is just one thing I did not want to happen now. I have never worked on a bike to please, take it easy on me.

I was thinking tomorrow give my buddys F4i battery a test in mine

Then pull the plugs, and check for spark..what would be the best way to do this. Thanks guys! Also I fired up the 1st car of the 3 gettign swaps tonight so thats a relief!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:04 PM
R R
Default RE: No start thread Cranking, but not turning over. Could you check out what I have researched?

Its an 03 by the way, if that matters.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Default RE: No start thread Cranking, but not turning over. Could you check out what I have researched?

I don't know about all the noise you heard, but the battery is a good place to start. Do you know if it is the original battery from the factory? I know people are going to have different opinions on this, but if I were you I would replace the stock battery at the dealer or find the exact same one from somewhere else. It is a YUSA YTZ10S. I had battery issues a few months back, turned out my battery was nearly shot. Even had it charged a couple different times so that I would know for sure if thats what it was. I just purchased a new battery at the beginning of march from online, I believe it is a Battery Master battery. I rode to class for the first time (and it was only the third time riding with the new battery) went to get some lunch between classes, came back out, to find another dead battery. I took the battery out, and had the dealer test it. The health of the battery was nearly ZERO, and the charge was a little less that 50%, which is absolutely ridiculous for a three week old battery. I am going to be extremely ticked if the place I bought it from will not replace it, especially since I had no choice other than buying a replacement at the dealer yesterday.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:00 AM
R R

Hey man thanks for the help, Im giving my buddys battery a shot today from his F4I and Ill take my battery to be tested at a local motorcyce shop here too. One quick question, will it still crank if its a dieing battery? Im not to sure if its the original or not.

If its not the battery would you go straight to spark? I appreciate the help.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:13 AM

Check the kill switch on the rightside of the handle bar. Sounds dumb but i've seen people have it switched off and wonder why it won't start. If that's good then try charging your battery. It will crank over but not start if it's weak. If it still doesn't start the next thing to look at is spark since it sounds like your getting fuel from what you said.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:09 PM

ORIGINAL: R R

Hey man thanks for the help, Im giving my buddys battery a shot today from his F4I and Ill take my battery to be tested at a local motorcyce shop here too. One quick question, will it still crank if its a dieing battery? Im not to sure if its the original or not.

If its not the battery would you go straight to spark? I appreciate the help.
Here is what was going on with mine, made sure the "Engine Cut-Off" switch was not turned to the on position, put the kickstand up, clutch engaged. I turned the key on (the gauge cluster did all the regular things that it usally did) From here, I pressed the start button, it did sound like it wanted to start but would not actually turn over. However, it was more like if you were to slight press the start on release in less that 0.01s.

When I had battery issues the first time, it was cranking, but wouldn't completely start. So based on what you said, I would imagine it is in fact the battery.

Also, if you do have the chance to have the battery tested at the shop, they can show you the info on their handheld, just a little FYI. They did with me atleast.

Good Luck Man.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:31 PM
R R

Hey guys, just want to say it works! Im so happy haha.

I read a post to crank it over at 100% throttle untill the battery dies then to charge it up and crank it with 0% throttle...well after about 3 minutes straight of cranking at 100% it started to pop and gurgle...then it turned over and went to 5000rpm because I was at 100% throttle. I let go and it died...well I cranked it again for another 1 min and it came on again this time I held it at 3000rpm for a min and then it idled back perfectly again. I took it around the block and everything is good. Thanks again you guys I really appreciate it! -RR

Old 04-03-2008, 06:56 PM

Glad to hear it started for you. In the future, remember that it is very hard on a starter to crank it for longer than 15 seconds. It overheats and can lead to premature failure.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:05 PM

Old 04-03-2008, 07:07 PM

I would still look into getting a new battery. You don't want to get out on the road, stop for lunch or gas, and have the same thing happen again. Just a suggestion though.

Quick Reply: No start thread Cranking, but not turning over. Could you check out what I have researched?