Newbie Mistake: Jumped bike with running car!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Mistake: Jumped bike with running car!

First, I would like to admit i'm a dumbass! No need to rub it in. So here is the information:

2005 CBR with less than 1500miles on it. Rode it last summer, left it garaged all winter. Thought my battery was dead and unfortunately didn't do any research before jumping it. Jumped it with a running car (yes, I KNOW!). You learn something new everyday! My gauges and cluster and lights all work. When I push the starter button all I hear is a buzz/clicking sound under the seat near the battery. Checked the fuses near the starter relay (all good) So here is what I will do/check this weekend.

1: Charge the battery

2: Replace battery if needed, if not check all fuses

3: If all fuses are good, replace the starter relay

4: If that doesn't work, I would cry.

(not so serious about the crying part) But is there any recommendations anyone would like to give me other than not to do this again?

Last edited by ImporT_ProphetZ; 02-17-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:23 AM

The sound you are describing sounds normal. I'm not sure what makes that sound, but that's what you hear when you have a dead battery.

If one isn't supposed to jump a bike from a running car that is news to me. Both systems should be running ~12 volts. There may be more to it than that.

My recommendation for starting a dead bike is do the ol' push start. Put the bike in second with the clutch disengaged (clutch lever in), you or a buddy give it a good push (~5MPH should be enough), drop the clutch until it starts, pull the clutch back in quickly so the bike doesn't run away from you.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:09 AM

Most bikes CAN jump from a car. Friend had a new GSXR however that couldn't. I don't know the exact details but his bike had a relay or something in a retarded spot on the harness so if you jump from a car it would fry.

I was baffled at the problem because I always knew you could jump from a car, then we call the suzuki dealer and whaddayaknow... oops. :P

Old 02-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can jump start from a NON running car. If the car's engine is running there is a good chance of damaging the electronics on the bike due to the high amp output of the car's charging system.

However, in this case it sounds more like the battey is just dead. A Battery Tender Jr sells for under $20 if you look around and you can leave it connected to your bike battery all winter long.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:52 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
You can jump start from a NON running car. If the car's engine is running there is a good chance of damaging the electronics on the bike due to the high amp output of the car's charging system.

However, in this case it sounds more like the battey is just dead. A Battery Tender Jr sells for under $20 if you look around and you can leave it connected to your bike battery all winter long.
I agree with this. +1

Old 02-17-2011, 10:48 AM

dont think you killed it bro, jumping off the car can send too much juice , but the main thing it can do is overchrge the battery causing plate distortion , diminishing the batteries capacity to hold a charge, small batteries cannot handle the heat of a heavy charge. keep it simple , try the battery first.just my two pennies

Old 02-17-2011, 02:40 PM

Throw it away. You broke it.

+1 to the Battery Tender Jr. You can find them nearly anywhere that carries auto parts (Autozone, OReilly's, etc).

Don't push start your bike. That should be a last resort. The battery is still dead, that's what causes the buzzing noise. PROPERLY charge up the battery, and try that first. Your checklist looks pretty good, so follow it. If NONE of that works, we'll talk to ya on Monday

And don't feel stupid. We all make mistakes. I still try to ride away with the kickstand down.. facepalm much?

Old 02-17-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff

A lot of people say this, yet I tried to verify it with my dad who has a masters in electrical engineering and he said its not the case. Electronics only use what they need when it comes to current/amps. If the voltage is steady, which it is coming off a car, then the extra amps off a car charging system wont hurt anything.

Maybe I misunderstood him though? Dunno, I suck with electricity facts.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dissevered
A lot of people say this, yet I tried to verify it with my dad who has a masters in electrical engineering and he said its not the case. Electronics only use what they need when it comes to current/amps. If the voltage is steady, which it is coming off a car, then the extra amps off a car charging system wont hurt anything.

Maybe I misunderstood him though? Dunno, I suck with electricity facts.
Have him read a few of these links:

Jump Starting - NOT from a Running Car

Can I Jump Start a Motorcycle

How to Jump Start a Motorcycle Battery From a Car

Old 02-18-2011, 01:38 AM

the only thing wrong is a dead battery. the noise you here is the starter selynoid from where the baterry doesnt have enouph juice to turn the starter. it will click like that every time with a week battery. try to charge it then if it doesnt just replace it it should be fine.

Last edited by jonescbr; 02-18-2011 at 02:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Newbie Mistake: Jumped bike with running car!