new600rr junkie with a question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new600rr junkie with a question...

Howdy folks, a newb to the forum here. This seems like a great place and I am happy to join up.

I picked up a 2009 red/black 600rr yesterday and I have a few questions that I couldn't find the answers to and I was hoping for some help and I was hoping someone here could help out. I tried searching, but I can't find a thread that addresses my specific criteria, so I'm tossing out a bone.

I put about 100 miles on it yesterday around town and everything seemed "ok" but today I hit the mountaints with it and I am not 100% happy.

Does anyone have any good settings for sag/front/rear-preload and rebound for a 130lb intermediate/slightly advanced rider? When I exit a corner the front end tries to drift a little bit wide and even on a smooth surface it seems to have a little bit of "bumpity bump/skip" to it. Not a lot, but it is not as smooth as it should be, IMO. I could piddle and play and tweak and tune, but I was hoping someone might have something I could start with instead of starting from scratch.

I am coming off of a 4 year stint on a SV1000s (preceded by 4 years on a F4i, and a year on a Katana mixed in with 6 years of MX/HS racing) and a common fix was to drop the forks 5mm's on the tree. Does anyone do this to their RR's?

I am super pleased with the bike in general but I would like to dial it in just a little bit more if it is possible without sending my suspension to an aftermarket company, which I realize is the best solution, but I am slightly strapped for extra cash at the moment for that.

thanks in advance, and if this forum is like any others, here are the obligatory photos..

last night when I brought her home...

today on lunch break I snagged a slightly better pic...

and today after work I skipped past the BRP in central VA and hit rt 130 and stopped for an overlook photo...

Old 07-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet bike. I cant find any settings for the 09 but the 08 should be the same. try these for a baseline then play with em til you get it where u like it.

SUGGESTED SUSPENSION SETTINGS
FRONT Spring preload: 10 turns out from
full stiff; Rebound damping: 2.5 turns
out from full stiff; Compression damp
ing: 2 turns out from full stiff; Ride
height: 5mm fork tube showing
above triple clamp
REAR Spring preload: position 4 from full
soft; Rebound damping: 2 turns out
from full stiff; Compression damping:
21 clicks out from full stiff

Old 07-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
sweet bike. I cant find any settings for the 09 but the 08 should be the same. try these for a baseline then play with em til you get it where u like it.

SUGGESTED SUSPENSION SETTINGS
FRONT Spring preload: 10 turns out from
full stiff; Rebound damping: 2.5 turns
out from full stiff; Compression damp
ing: 2 turns out from full stiff; Ride
height: 5mm fork tube showing
above triple clamp
REAR Spring preload: position 4 from full
soft; Rebound damping: 2 turns out
from full stiff; Compression damping:
21 clicks out from full stiff

Thank you Sir! I will adjust to these and try to hit the twisties again over the weekend.