CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/)
-   -   New seat? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/new-seat-5075/)

chillin 10-05-2005 08:32 PM

New seat?

Does anyone have an aftermarket seat on there 600RR? I'd like to replace the peice of plywood of a seat that comes stock. im thinking one of the gel seats that come on the newer gsxrs would be nice.

mazdajoe 10-06-2005 06:45 AM

RE: New seat?

You could get a Corbin seat. It kind of messes up the look of the bike though but no one will be able to tell when your sitting on it. Anything has got to be more comfortable than the stock "honda hard" seat.

Fretless33 10-06-2005 11:41 AM

ORIGINAL: mazdajoe

You could get a Corbin seat. It kind of messes up the look of the bike though but no one will be able to tell when your sitting on it. Anything has got to be more comfortable than the stock "honda hard" seat.
The "Honda hard seat" is exactly the way the manufacturer intended it to be. This is a track oriented bike, so it has track oriented features...the seat is one of those. The thin seat helps you to feel more connected to the bike and allows you to feel the feedback the bike is giving you. It's not a commuter with a cushy seat giving the ultimate comfort while on leisurely cross country tours, it's a performance bike and every feature on it is geared towards performance. Have you ever seen track prepped RR's? The seat is actually a thin foam pad (thinner than our seat). The seat is one of the three points of connection for feedback and inputs on a sport bike...can you guess the other two?

Give it more saddle time and you'll get use to the seat...it's never bothered me, but then again I didn't buy this bike for comfort.

clemson725 10-06-2005 06:58 PM

My friend got the Corbin seat for his. Its still not that great. It is wider but still thin. He claims its better than the other one, but i never sat on the other one. I rode it with the corbin seat. In my own opinion it still sucks. The seat feels too wide.

chillin 10-07-2005 03:16 AM

In reply to fretless, i agree with you that these are very much so race oriented bikes and as such dont need to have a decent seat, however, this is also a bike that is purchased from a dealership and sold street legal as a bike that drives around town, as such a nice seat is quite reasonable. the (cringe) gsxr has what i would consider a very good seat that i would have to say doesnt detract from its track ability in the least. now as i put on more miles my opinion of the seat may change, but seeing as how i and most other riders spend much more time sitting "on" the seat rather than hanging off the side i still think a nice gel seat couldnt hurt. And i agree that when i turm my bike into a track bike, a waffer thin seat will suit me perfectly.

CBRgator 10-07-2005 06:46 AM

there is still no gel seat for our bike, just the corbin

DonnythaBrick 10-08-2005 09:09 AM

i agree with both sides. personally i like the feedback i get from my seat and i rode my bike from MA to DE (300+ mi) with my stock seat and it didnt bother me one bit (i was wearing rididng pants.. thats something to think about to give alittle more cusion) and i made it in 3 1/2 hours with a lunch break. i was traveling at 135-140 going up to top speed and hardly ever droping below 100. the only thing that botherd me when i finished was my sides. that was from all the leaning and whatnot. hope that helps.

Fretless33 10-08-2005 11:21 AM

ORIGINAL: chillin

In reply to fretless, i agree with you that these are very much so race oriented bikes and as such dont need to have a decent seat, however, this is also a bike that is purchased from a dealership and sold street legal as a bike that drives around town, as such a nice seat is quite reasonable. the (cringe) gsxr has what i would consider a very good seat that i would have to say doesnt detract from its track ability in the least. now as i put on more miles my opinion of the seat may change, but seeing as how i and most other riders spend much more time sitting "on" the seat rather than hanging off the side i still think a nice gel seat couldnt hurt. And i agree that when i turm my bike into a track bike, a waffer thin seat will suit me perfectly.
Then I'll repeat the end of my reply to you "Give it more saddle time and you'll get use to the seat..."

Honestly, you will get use to it ;) On a sport bike, any long distance trip is literally going to be a pain in the ass [&:]

Delta447 10-08-2005 06:30 PM

I've done the blasphamy and bought the 600RR with the intent of setting up a light weight do-it-all/sport tourer. Why? B/c I'm sick of riding around on a 500lb pound bike. I want fuel injection, undertail exhaust, adequate instrumentation, decent range, bright lights, light weight and flickability in my everyday driving, and the 600RR is one of the few bikes that fit the bill. Even w/my nefarious intent in mind, I don't think the Corbin is going to make the cut. I've ridden on the OEM seat for a couple of hours and actually like the harder surface now that I've gotten used to it.

Tribal_Steve 10-08-2005 09:50 PM

you could always take it (your stocker) to your local apolstry (sp) shop and have more padding added, and have it recovered... or get used to it like I have... or buy a sport tourer.

My wife was bitching about mine.. I went out on a limb, and when I bought the bike, shortly after that I bought her a helmet, and a Joe Rocket Luna textile jacket to ride with me... she has been on it twice, and is not comfortable on it... so, I said fine, if you don't want to ride it, I'll get rid of the rear seat and the pegs, don;t bother me none... it's not a fat old mans cruising bike..

If I was worried about comfort, I would have bought a Softail.. but I like to go fast, not work on a bike all the time.

-Steve