New rider with hurting hands

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rider with hurting hands

Hey there....

I just got my bike like 2 weeks ago and am a brand new rider. It might be just me cuz I'm still a noob, but does anyone else's hands hurt like ****? Damn, any suggestion on what I can do to aliviate the pain? Any riding/sitting tips are welcome!

Thanks

Old 05-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Default RE: New rider with hurting hands

That's normal for your forearms to get sore from all the clutching and breaking. Just gotta grit it out until you get used to it. If you really want you can work out your forearms like with those hand grips or with weights. While you're riding though, you gotta get used to supporting your weight with your abs, back and legs. That'll take pressure off your hands and wrists. Use the foot pegs to support your weight also, especially when you're going over bumps or cracks in the road. Just takes some practice, learning how to reposition your hands when you're not clutching/braking. And I'm sure you already know to throw the bike in neutral at long stop lights (after checking no one's coming up on your 6) so you don't have to constantly clutch down, and then use the rear brake instead of the front to keep the bike from rolling/moving. Hope this helps

Old 05-19-2006, 05:32 PM

[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 05-20-2006, 03:11 AM

Not to mention that newbies tend to have a death grip on the bars, so try to remind yourself to loosen your grip and breath, because all those vibrations get transferred into your arms when you keep your elbows and grip stiff...loosen up and you'll feel much better.

Old 05-20-2006, 03:51 AM

And if all that doesnt work Heli Bars and gloves with gell insertes the heli's will make the handeling feel a little lighter but are worth every penny

Old 05-20-2006, 09:44 AM

keep riding i am only now able to ride pain free.you'll get used to it drop the death grip and let the bike do the work.thats the advise i got and it worked

Old 05-20-2006, 10:38 AM

And don't forget to regularly move around on the bike as you ride. Flex your hands every few minutes. Keep the circulation going. All this + tips above will really make a difference for you over time.

Old 05-20-2006, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the replies! Great tips that I'll be working on.

Old 05-21-2006, 02:32 AM

We forgot to mention to grip the tank with your knees too, that will relieve the work that your upper body has to do.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All the above advice is good. It's also a good idea to make sure your elbows are pointing down instead of out. Seems the natural tendency is for them to bow out and that will make your throttle hand go completely numb.

Quick Reply: New rider with hurting hands