New Guy..with Qustions

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy..with Qustions

Not sur ehow this forum works so I'll give this a shot. I am thinking of chaging the gearing to -1/+2 but I travel on raod trips every summer and I don't want to get the RPMs up so High that it damages my Motor nor do I want to rattle my teeth out of my head when I am goin 80 or 90 down the freeway should I change them. also want the power when I am in town fartin around.

Another WHEELY Qestion:

I havn't done any wheelies before and want to know the best way to get used to the bouncing and such before I try to get the bike up too far in the air.. been just slamin the throttle open and shut just lftin the wheel up a bit (bout 12 inches to get the feel) am I wastin time or is this a good practice just dont want to over do it yet.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:41 AM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: New Guy..with Qustions

I hit 90 on my way to work everyday with a -1... feels good. I can't say much about the MPG, I play too much now to know for sure. About your wheelie question, someone else will have to take that. I'm don't stunt... too much money in my bike to slam it on the ground like that. Ask anyone that stunts... you will drop the bike sooner than later. Maybe later on if I pick up another bike...

Old 12-23-2005, 04:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To get the front wheel up you can either clutch it or power wheelie it. I try to practice both but I prefer to power wheelie my 05 600RR.

To power wheelie you want to be in first gear and open the throttle to about 7000-8000 RPM then roll the throttle totally off then immediately snap it open. If you do this correctly the front wheel will come up and keep coming up if you don't let off some throttle or use the back brake. It will seem scary the first few times you do it and I guarantee you will let off the throttle after you feel the bike come up above 12 inches but as long as you are in a controlled environment like an open and debris free parking lot or an open and NO TRAFFIC country road you will be OK. It's not like the bike is going to get all squirrelly on you all of a sudden causing you get out of control. Another suggested place to practice is a business park on a weekend since they are usually open and vacant.

One thing you want to avoid is letting the bike slam down. Repeating this can hurt you and your boys, if you know what I mean, not to mention it is bad for the fork seals of your bike. A couple of positive things to do are 1.) Keep your right foot always in position guarding and ready to use the rear brake and 2.) set the front end down with the front wheel strait to avoid what is know as a tank slapper. If you don’t know a tank slapper is when your front end is uncontrollably slamming back and forward from stop to stop. If you get into this mode for some reason it is suggested that you add power using the throttle to stabilize the bike not letting off the throttle. Watch some MotoGP racing and you will see what I mean.

Your rear brake will be your best friend if you think you might have gotten the front to high and might be going over backwards. Speaking of going over backwards, I read a great write up by a professional stunter who said a good way judge just how high the front wheel should be is to get the front up to the point where the top of the windshield is just below your eye level allowing you to always see over it. As long as you can keep seeing over the wind screen you will be at about a 45 degree angle, maybe slightly higher, but no where near the point of flipping backwards. Another technique is to do wheelies standing up but I will let some one else go into that since I have not done them that way.

The main thing is to take your time. I also suggest always practicing in a safe open place and if at all possible have a friend with you, even if they have to drive, just in case the unexpected happens.

Old 12-23-2005, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the reply I finally got my bronco to buck and it lifted pretty hight of course I sat it down real quick it was pretty scary didn't feel out of controle but felt weird being on one wheel,

How do you balance. is it just a point that youl find or is it a constant on and off the throtle to keep it.

Well Ill keep practicing it was kinda exciting (after I cleaned the sh^t out of my pants)

Old 12-23-2005, 04:58 PM
L8X

id advise against wheelies, just cuz it messes up your bike. esp if you are doing them improperly. if you plan on doing it often, id adjust your suspension to handle the constant shock. but anyways, be safe and have fun.