New to Forums and CBR's

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to Forums and CBR's

Right on man! keep us updated on what you decide to do.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:07 PM

GET THE 600RR AND BE CAREFUL. THE 250 IS A WASTE OF MONEY

Old 05-08-2008, 08:56 PM

Get a 1000!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:13 PM

I was having a chat with a fellow rider today at work over an article we read. The article was about a kid dying because he took a turn too wide and went off the road and hit a tree. We came to the assumption that most new riders do not have good judgement of corner speed, and do not know how far the bike can actually lean. If your going wide and think you are going to lose it, crank the bars to bring it all the way down. Worst case at that point is a lowside slide, which is much better then trying to keep it up and macking a tree. The biggest piece of riding a superbike is speed control, and with that comes corner speed... If you are your riding fast in a line, be prepared to ride fast in a corner, and if you cant hold a line... then get something slower, like a 250.

I really think that the biggest problem with people and starting to ride is all psychological... If you get a 250, your gixxer buddies will laugh at you for trying to learn safely, while they ride around in t shirts and wife beaters. It should not be like that. I went out with like six guys on liter bikes the other day, I was the only one on a 600. One guy snared slightly at me for riding a smaller bike. It can be the same way with people on liter bikes poking at people on 600s, but that is just the tough guy mentality. Whatever you choose, ride safe and have fun, cause thats the point after all. Oh, and wear gear.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:34 PM

+1 On be vertical's advice and the root beer float avatar!

Old 05-09-2008, 07:26 AM

Be Vertical, Thank you for all of you advice so far ( I say so far because I am sure you will have much more advice later on when I do get my bike lol ). Every time I talk to people about getting a bike they all want me to start out on a 600RR bike because they say the 250R will get old fast. To me It kinda matters and It kinda does not matter. I dont want the bike to get boring ( Which I am sure It will not seeing It will be my first bike ) so I have decided to do the smart thing and get a 2008 Kawasaki 250R. I will be probably made fun of because It sounds like a hooked up lawn mower[:@] and It's not as big as the awsome 600RR's.

What Is most Important to me Is that I learn the right way and the safe way because I do value my life. The closest date for that Motorcycle course Is at the end of next month so I am trying hard to get In that 3 day class and then I will be heading to the Dealership to put money down on a Black 250R. ( My buddy works at the dealership and said that there is a wait on the 08 250R's but oh well they look bad a$$ for a 250. )

Thank you everyone for all you help and pointing me In the right direction. I will ride the 250R for a Year or so and next season put a down payment on a 2009 Honda CBR 600RR! lol can not wait!

Old 05-12-2008, 09:14 PM

Yup my first bike was an 01 Ninja 250. I was tired of it after a couple weeks but I stuck with it for 2 months. I learned alot out there on the road with it. Then i sold it for a little more than i paid for it and got me a new 07 cbr 600. I say get a used 250 ride it for a while and dish it off, and then get the 600. But hey you know what the say about opinions? Everyone has one. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:53 PM

be vertical is being very extreme, but i agree. i started with a 500, which is not bad and no 250, but its not a 600. in my opinion anything below the 600 class just isnt made to be aggressive and go fast.. therefore is much safer. i learned alot on that bike and prob would have not learned what i did if i started with say, an f4i. 250s are nice begginers, as are 500s.

go get (i know its a slowzuki but hey) a gs500f suzuki if you want something in between the 2500 and 600. then months later you can go sell it. there are always more eople looking to start riding.

i bought my gs for 3.5k and sold it for 3.7k 4k miles later. its a good investment and worth the learning buffer zone.

be like nike and just do it

Old 05-13-2008, 12:51 AM

If I am correct, the new 600RR's make more power (and DEFINATELY weigh a lot less) than my 1998 CBR900RR. Without a doubt, it whoops my old bike in the power to weight ratio.

Just something to think about.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:14 AM

I started on the 250r, rode it for 2000 miles till someone pulled out in front of me and I totalled it. But that thing taught me so much, and now I'm more careful than anything. It taught me the basics of riding a motorcycle.

However I think if someone is mature enough starting out with a 600 can be done easily. I have a buddy that started on his brothers 03 CBR600RR and he's fine. You'll be fine, but you possibly will get bored with it in a couple months. I had a blast on mine though, and really unless you do a lot of interstate driving a 250 will do you just fine. Good luck

Quick Reply: New to Forums and CBR's