New to Forums and CBR's

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forums and CBR's

Hi there everyone just wanted to say that I am new to the Forums and Have a simple question to ask. I am looking into getting a motorcycle soon and I really want a sport bike. I was told to start out with a Kawasaki 250r but I really want a CBR 600RR ( that is my dream bike ). I have rode a Kawasaki before and did not like It to much.

I plan on taking the Motorcycle Saftey course soon and then looking for a bike to buy.

I read that the CBR 600RR would not be a bad bike to start out with because Honda provides the best sports bikes. Plus my buddy told me I would get tired of the 250R fast so I should start out with the CBR 600RR and I wont get tired of It.

Well thank you all for you help In advanced.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Default RE: New to Forums and CBR's

You just asked the question of doom! It is a much disputed topic as to if one should start on a 600 or not. Many state that the bike is way too fast, agressive, and agile for a beginner. It is not easy to learn the mechanics of two wheels on such an unforgiving machine. Given the previous, many people will tell you to stay away. Others however start on it, and will tell you its all about wrist control, which is very true.

Personally, if you take the class, and know how a bike rides (ex: can ride a dirtbike) in regards to the clutch, throttle, and shifting operation, then you should be fine as long as you are not trigger happy. Keep this in mind though, a bone stock 600RR runs a faster quarter mile then any production vehicle every produced (high 10's). If you think you are strong and responsible enough to handle such a machine, then go forth, if not, start on something smaller.

Your friendmakes a good point with the 250. It is a very easy and light bike to ride, but you will get bored,because once you get the basics down it will be old news. Your skill and responsability are the answer to this question, its not yes or no. Personally my first street bikewas an600rr. Itis great. I will add in however that I haveowned a number ofdirtbikes,and took a class. Additionally, my transition from dirt to street was not overnight.I took it slow in aparking lot, got the road feel, etc.. The last thing you want to do is goout in shorts and a t shirtwith your gixxer buddies trying tobe cool, because that will get you killed. Ride within you ability, and the bike will be very rewarding.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:13 PM

Oh yeah, and make sure you dont leave the dealer without a jacket, gloves, helmet, boots, etc... Wearing gear is huge.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:19 PM

Dont worry I plan on looking like Robo COP! LoL.

I think after the Motorcycle Course I will know what I can and Cant handle. I dont plan on being a stunt boy just want to RIDE!

CBR 600RR Is by far the best looking sport bike and I cannot wait to get one. If I do start out on the 250R I will just get the CBR 600RR next year.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:00 PM

the 600rr was my first bike and i'm fine. Don't let the dealer talk you into the 250

Old 05-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

if you start out with a 600RR theres a 99% chance you will drop the bike at the very least, wreck it at the very worst. What you learn on a 250 is throttle controll and bike positioning. the 250 wont get you from 0-100 in 5 seconds like most 600cc's will and thats a heartbeat when your trying to keep up with your friends then you realize you took a wide turn then it's too late. There's a good reason why most people start on a 250 even ride it for 2 months or less would give you invaluable experience as to how to handel your "dream bike"

IMO i'd never start off with a new 600CC sportbike, sure people have but it's not the smartest thing to do. For every person who started on a 600 and didnt wreck theres 500 that have.

Keep in mind the Ninja 250cc bike holds it's value better then any bike ever made. I have bought 2 just to resell them 3000 miles later for MORE then I bought them for. But at the very least you will get exactly what you paid for it back. buy one for 2k ride it untill you are completly comfortable then sell it for 2k.

or Ignore the advice you asked for here on the forum and get the 600RR and I hope you will be ok, but statistics don't lie.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:21 PM

i started with a 600cc and i never dropped it, but take the MSF course and see how you feel on their bikes and then make your decision. IMO you will be disappointed with the 250cc in a matter of weeks

Old 05-07-2008, 07:22 PM

Take it from me, the real survivor of Ninja 250. Bought a brand new Ninja 250 2008, just for a month couldn't stand it anymore. Cause for me it's just too light and no power. I traded it in for a 2007 CBR-600 and gotta tell u the truth that this is like the best thing ever happened in my life.
But i dunno, cause i've been riding since i was 10 i guess so that 250 just didn't feel right. The first reason i bought that 250 was because it look really good for the price (msrp 3499). So don't waste your money on 250, thats it enough said.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:18 PM

+1 odyssey GET THE 600RR!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 07:00 AM

LoL, thanks guys. I have been talkin to a few people around where I live that ride 600cc bikes and they all say see how you feel after you ride the 250cc bikes at the Motorcycle course. They also say I will deff want to get a 600 after riding them but who knows. This will be my real first bike so I might have to do the smart thing and get a 250cc for now and upgrade In a month.....seems like a waste of money though.

Oh well, I will keep you guys updated. I e-mailed the Motorcycle course people and waiting for their openings. Then I will go when the date Is available to me.

Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: New to Forums and CBR's