New to Forum...I can't take it anymore!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum...I can't take it anymore!

I've been day dreaming about getting a CBR 600RR for almost a month anow. I started reading every post on this forum like my life lifed depended on it. lol. Eventhough I work fulltime and attend college fulltime here in the city, I finally decided to move out of Manhattan to New Jersey suburbia half hour away JUST SO that I can get my first bike. All my friends and family are strongly against me riding a motorcycle, eventhough I told them having a car is not an option ( 800 a month insurance, 450 a month garage for a $100 a month lease on a Civic...No way in hell) This is my first purchase, I'll probably do $2000 down and finance the rest. I'd like to pay about $500 a month for bike + insurance.... is this POSSIBLE? I have no idea what I'm doing since this is my first. How do I finance? Bank? Dealership? Which insurance do I need? I have one of those personalities where once I want something this bad, I do almost anything get it regardless of any consequences. I already paid for my basic rider class and signed the lease on my new jersey apt. I hope I'm not making the biggest mistake of my life. I should just listen to everyone else and keep riding the subway instead. Constructive advice from any of you veterans would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: New to Forum...I can't take it anymore!

Make sure you check the insurance for the bike you want. I agree, I wouldn't buy a car if I had to pay all the fees you would. I knew there was a reason I don't live in NY. If you don't mind traveling, ask around here and you can find a good price in a new CBR. I paid 9300 out the door (taxes/title/tags) for mine, but I've read people here picking them up for around 7000. With that and your 2000 down payment (I suggest using some of that for good gear instead) you'd only have 5 to 6 grand to finance on a 5 year loan. The rule of thumb is $20 for each grand you borrow, so well under a $200 a month payment. For example 6K at 12% (high interest rate) for 2 years would still be under $300 a month. The other $200 a month will be spent on your insurance. Call your bank and get reproved and you'll be surprised at the deals you will get at a dealership. Now to get off the financial advice you probably didn't want, you're making a good choice by starting out on a 600. I've rode for years and still don't have the need for a liter bike (1000cc). The 600's are a great all around bike and you don't outgrow them as some people will say. The MSF course is another good move. I never would have taken it, but it was mandatory and free for all military personnel to ride on base. I am glad I did, you get really familiar with the bike and slow riding/handling. Oh, I forgot, welcome to the forum.

Old 09-28-2005, 12:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ever you do don't buy one if you can not keep it inside and locked up when you are not riding it. Besides the weather beating down on it theft would be my main concern.

Also don't make yourself bike poor. Only you know where your money is going but since you don't have that payment now you might want to consider saving more money over the winter then buy one late spring. If money is tight and you are set on a 600RR then I would buy one used. Other then avoiding one that has been laid down the engines are virtually bullet proof so how it was broken in or ridden is not really an issue in my opinion.

Most importantly remember to budget money to buy all your riding gear like helmet, gloves, jacket, and boots at a minimum. Count on $800 to $1000 for gear alone.

Old 09-28-2005, 02:08 AM

insurance on a car being 800/month? That is impossible I think. I don't think it can be that much can it? If it's 800/month for a civic for you, a bike will be more. You will need full coverage if you finance it, some dealers will do anything to sell a bike and let you put plpd on it, but it isn't worth it. You NEED full coverage. It's a big investment, one time falling or letting it go can ruin it and you'll be out a lotta cash.

Old 09-28-2005, 06:23 AM

I am 19 and insurance on my '01 F4i is only $300 a year. That's full coverage with a 500 deductible. In comparison, my '88 mazda 626 was $840 a year for just liability. Motorcycle insurance, in general, is cheaper than automobile insurance. Insurance for a 600 is not expensive at all unless you have a really bad insurance company or have a crappy driving record. Shop around for the best deal. You definately need a garage for your bike, one of the reasons insurance is so high on supersports and cruisers, as compared to other bikes, is that people steal them ALL the time. Besides the obvious dangers, motorcycling is probably the best way to commute in my opinion. I agree that you should hold off through winter and buy one in the Spring, that will eliminate storage costs for the winter and enable you to save up some money. You could ride in the winter - I plan to - but not in the snow and If it snows alot this year than you will be paying for a bike you can't use.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:42 AM
Retired Administrator

I pay almost a grand a year for full coverage. My record is clean (so far) discount for Honda club and a huge military discount. Most companies were 1500 and up. I'm old (32) married so my insurance should be cheaper. mazdajoe, "I am 19 and insurance on my '01 F4i is only $300 a year. That's full coverage with a 500 deductible" where the hell are you getting your insurance at, I needs to knows. please. When I called my insurance company (GEICO) they quoted my 1800 for the 600RR and 2100 for the liter bike. I had to go with USAA which farms out all motorcycle policies to progressive and got it down to around 850 a years. Funny story, progressive on their own quoted me 1400, but going through USAA with a active duty military rate it went down to the 850.

Old 09-28-2005, 08:52 AM

a grand a year for insurance is outrageous in my opinion. I just bought an 05 600rr about 3 weeks ago, so am brand new to the forum, and motorcycles altogether...but I have State Farm insurance here in nc and it only cost me 340 a year for full coverage, 500 deduct.

by the way i love this forum, bought the bike, learned to ride it, and now read the hell outta this site to learn as much as i can....the info on here is great

Old 09-28-2005, 12:20 PM

Don, drop Geico and look into Cincinatti Insurance. There's an agent in Marysville that i work if you want a referral.

Old 09-28-2005, 01:07 PM
Retired Administrator

ORIGINAL: kiggy74

Don, drop Geico and look into Cincinatti Insurance. There's an agent in Marysville that i work if you want a referral.
I'd have to see if they would cover me. Is it an in sate insurance company? I have Ohio drivers license but I live in Virginia Beach VA. Active duty Navy.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:30 PM

05Tribal
I definitely think you're right. I won't be "bike poor", i'm actually spending the rent savings on the new bike. the rent in NJ is about $500 a month cheaper. You make perfect sense about waiting till the winter season is over. I may just have to put the CBR fever in check till then. Waking up to riding dreams in the morning should subside as the weather gets colder. Thanks for raining on my parade. grrr i'll keep the forum updated. Aren't the bikes more expensive in the spring time then winter?

1600F4i
i have a terrible car driving record. my license has been revoked twice in 4 years since 16. one revocation resulted from evading a police cruiser while driving 130mph in my honda at the time. that's all in the past now, i was a bit crazy in my teen days. i wish someone had beaten some sense into me then. i haven't driven since year 2000, and I should be okay? $800 a month insurance is indeed true. I hope the bike insurance doesn't go any higher than $150 a month.

Quick Reply: New to Forum...I can't take it anymore!