New bike prospect - 05 600rr

Old 11-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New bike prospect - 05 600rr

I'm hopefully selling my 03 today for what I paid for it (a blessing, being I've put 7000 miles on it in 6 months and dumped it 3 times), and I'm looking at another bike:

05 600rr for $6000.

- black with the gray tribal
- left mid fairing has pitting from falling over
- frame slider holes are cut way too big (dealer installed, supposedly - i'll watch out for that dealer)
- flushmounts (ugly, but i'll swap with the ones on my bike)
- solo cowl
- puig ds db windscreen
- hotbodies undertail with exhaust (freakin loud!)
- power commander (not sure which variety)
- lo-jack (i'm not sure if that's worth any money or what
- lowered 1" (i'll have to raise it back up and sell the lowering link)
- new tires, not sure what kind they will be

i rode it around a little bit, and it was really quick but i REALLY didn't like how it rode with the worn-out tires (which is why he's putting tires on it) and being lowered. however, it ran perfectly, made no noises that I could hear, and the clutch seemed to engage a lot sooner than mine, indicating it probably had a lot more miles left on it.

now for the drawback: the bike has just over 10,000 miles on it. he says all the miles were put on driving to and from oklahoma, no stunting, etc, but who wouldn't say that? but given I rode it around and it was in good shape and he struck me as trustworthy and forthcoming, i'm inclined to believe him. so what do yall think? do I buy it, or do i wait for a better deal to come along? the way i see it, when i'm done with the bike, i can sell the hotbodies undertail system and power commander, because they're definitely worth a lot more off the bike.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Default RE: New bike prospect - 05 600rr

i love how those hotbodies exhast looks.... good luck on your prospect, my prospect is 5'6, and smokin how, with a few aftermarket pericings..... well i guess you guys arent intrested in that...

o forgot to add, if the whole is a lot bigger than the slidder, get a bigger slider to cover it, my r&gs are pretty fat and cover up the ugly *** hole i but in one side (rashed fairing, figured it would be replaced by now).

Old 11-19-2007, 10:55 AM

so... clean 05 for 6k with 10k miles and some valuable aftermarket stuff, is it a good deal?

Old 11-19-2007, 11:02 AM

Definately sounds like a good deal.

Whats the word on the sale of your bike?

Old 11-19-2007, 11:08 AM

I would still look around I bet you could find something better. I paid 5300 for my 06 and it only had 2000 miles on it. However it is completely stock with no extras so I guess that plays a factor in it too. Either way good luck with you decision..

Old 11-19-2007, 12:31 PM

well it doesnt seem like a rip off.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:42 PM

I guess i'm really banking on the fact that these were easy miles and the bike was well maintained. If that's the case, 10000 miles is nothing, and it'll have 20000 before long anyway, because I ride all the time. well maintained, these bikes last a long time. it's when you forget to change the oil all summer, let it overheat, crap like that, that those miles become hard miles. Do yall agree? and that 5300 for the low miles 06 was a STEAL! i'd get an 06, but i think the 05 and 06 are pretty much the same. there's a kid locally who wants 4700 for his 600rr, but he bought it wrecked, and it's got 12:00 rash on the pipe and scuffs all along the left side, and when he bought it, it had no left mid or lower fairings. while it could be a good bike, it could also be full of problems, and you just never know till it breaks down. any more opinions? i suppose i should have made this a poll.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:10 PM

It sounds like a typical ride-the-sh$t-out-of-it and sell it bike to me. It has alot of mods, tires were bad, clutch is worn, and on and on. But it looks like you are into stunting, so I imagine you will dump it more than once too. I got an 05' 600RR last year.. bone stock. I was looking for a stocker so I knew it hadnt been messed with. It even had the original tires.. which were showing a bit of wear, but nothing else was. For me, a used prospect needs to be clean.. and I dont mean washed. Seats, grips, levers need all to be super spotless.. no wear at all. Rearsets and the little rubber gearshift lever cover needs to be spotless. I will pay much more $ for a solid stocker than I would for a bike with lots of parts on it. When someone starts adding parts to a bike, who is doing the work? And how do you know they have done it properly? I bought my RR to make it track worthy.. and will disclaim that when I go to sell it. This time of year, and with the super high mileage... I would offer no more than 5400 bucks. Good luck.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:18 PM

That's why I don't buy used bikes. Especially, Sport. It's a gamble. I would much rather spend more and buy new. You could probably get a good deal on some new '07's and worry about nothing. Just a thought.

ORIGINAL: jwelch

It sounds like a typical ride-the-sh$t-out-of-it and sell it bike to me. It has alot of mods, tires were bad, clutch is worn, and on and on. But it looks like you are into stunting, so I imagine you will dump it more than once too. I got an 05' 600RR last year.. bone stock. I was looking for a stocker so I knew it hadnt been messed with. It even had the original tires.. which were showing a bit of wear, but nothing else was. For me, a used prospect needs to be clean.. and I dont mean washed. Seats, grips, levers need all to be super spotless.. no wear at all. Rearsets and the little rubber gearshift lever cover needs to be spotless. I will pay much more $ for a solid stocker than I would for a bike with lots of parts on it. When someone starts adding parts to a bike, who is doing the work? And how do you know they have done it properly? I bought my RR to make it track worthy.. and will disclaim that when I go to sell it. This time of year, and with the super high mileage... I would offer no more than 5400 bucks. Good luck.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:20 PM

i see where youre coming from, but i may have been unclear - tires are worn - a big flat spot down the middle, chicken strips on the edges. except for the chicken strips, it sounds like my tires from all the commuting i do. and i was indicating that the clutch is less worn than mine. as for the aftermarket, i don't really think you can screw up a windscreen install, or a solo cowl install. flushmounts, if theyve been installed incorrectly, are easy to replace. you say lots of mods as though its been stretched and bored out and ported and the front-end strapped. also it was his buddy at the honda dealership who did the work. not meaning i'm certain it's done correctly, but i'm certain I can detect a problem and fix it if it wasn't. It hasn't been wrecked, though it probably will be anyway hehe ..and from riding it, the engine didn't make any unusual noises and it shifted fine and all that, didn't jump out of gear or tick like mine. either way, i'll need a bike fast if i sell mine today, and all things considered, it seems like the price is right.