new bike / poster questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 12:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new bike / poster questions

hey guys,

i'm about to buy a 2003 600rr as my first bike, it has been sitting in a garage for about a year, what should i know/need to do after i get it.

i'm pretty sure i'll probably have to drain the gas.. is there an alternative or can i get away with just putting fresh gas in it?

thanks in advance

Old 03-22-2007, 03:24 AM
Default RE: new bike / poster questions

Has it been ran while it been sitting?Have you ever riden before? If not MSF. Make sure it runs before you buy it. Dont just show up and pay the guy and leave with a bike that you might have to dump a bunch of money into it just to get it to run. Pretty much you want everything to be operating properly. How much are you going to pay for it?

Old 03-22-2007, 04:35 AM

i would just add fresh gas in and mix it with some kinda gas treatment. rock the bike back and forth a few times before starting it up

Old 03-22-2007, 07:11 AM

i'm buying it off a friend, i have taken MSF and yea i'm going to test it out before i buy it..

i'm mostly concerned with the gas... i'm kind of too lazy to drain the tank so can i really just mix in fresh gas?

Old 03-22-2007, 08:36 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much gas is in the tank?

I just picked up a "new-to-me" 93 Plymouth Duster V6. It was stitting in the street for exactly 1 year with a half tank of 1-year old gas. It started right up, drove it to the gas station, put in fuel system treatment, fuel stabilizer, and a fresh tank of super unleaded. Even with the old gas, it didn't run bad at all (but the exhaust kind of stunk a little, like it was running rich.)

I'm sure you'll be fine just bringing some fresh new fuel to top it off. (maybe add some fuel stabilizer in it).

Other than that, I would IMMEIDATELY change the oil and oil filter. (maybe add a quart of fresh oil into the engine to run for the 5-minute warm-up before changing it). Change the air filter. Wash and polish the bike, also clean and lube the chain, as well as adjust it to the proper slack.

Depending on the milage on the bike, it may be due to have the engine checked for valve-clearance and possibly the spark plugs. Also a full engine-coolant flush and refill may also be needed.

Also, has it been sitting on the tires or on stands? If on the tires, they're probably flattened, and you'll have to replace the tires too. (check online at various places to find good deals on some good Michelin, Dunlop or Metzeler's.) I would also suggest checking all the fluids (front brake fluid, rear brake fluid, power steering fluid, headlight fluid, etc. )

You may also need to charge the battery before you can even test the bike to see if it runs still. (granted the old battery didn't drop a cell). Then you will also have to buy a new battery. I would add all this and deduct it off the price of the bike the guy is asking for. (unless he gives you a hell of a deal.)

Pretty much just the basic tune-up stuff.

Hope this helps. Good luck. WEAR YOUR GEAR AND TAKE IT EASY. These are potent bikes, so take your time learning it.