need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Retired Mod
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need some help

alright. here's the deal. the post starter stated that he has quad and personal watercraft experience. now he wants to move on to the streets and all you are arguing over the skills involved in the different forms of powersports. ive ridden quads for many years. yes you don't lean it over or countersteer, but you shift your weight around many times more than on a street bike. and all of this is on tires with 5 pounds of air pressure. ive also owned and ridden many jet skis. whole different world. you lean and countersteer like a motorcycle. the biggest variable is the fact that there is no lanes of traffic on lakes. but water is not hard like asphalt. and then on motorcycles. the biggest threat is the cell-phone-talking, makeup-applying, food-eating jackass in the too big for the road suv that waits until the last minute to change lanes for the nearest starbucks.

the point of all this useless bull**** is the fact that any of the many forms of powersports involves many skills that are learned over time, not through years of non related experiences. no matter who you are or what you've done in the past, when you start something new you are a newbie. plain and simple.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:22 PM

guys im not trying to argue with nay of you's im just trying to gte sum input what i should do im new to the sport and i dont wanna get my self killed i thought this would be the place to come for sum info wasnt trying to justife my point just said that i had sum experince with diffrent kind of machines now im deff looking at the diffrent views of this whole thing

Old 12-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Chris,
Totally serious...just be really careful and don't push yourself and you should be ok.
It's like you probably shouldn't to be safe...but if you're real careful then you'll be ok.
It's things like sudden jerk of the throttle while in lean, going too hot into a turn, etc. that can get your hurt.
But as far as going in too hot, that can be done with any bike...so it's more so of the things having to do with the throttle and the ego.
So if you're totally careful and responsible, then you just have to worry about the throttle and all that power.
t

Old 12-07-2005, 08:41 PM

yeah well im gonna take teh saftey course before i go to buy the bike. im resopnsible person it just u have to worry about the poeple on the streets i found that out the hard way.. while i was driving my quad down a to my house comming home from teh trails this guy was pulling out of his drive way and hit me i was going like 5 mph there just idiots out there.. i just looking for the right bike u know what im sayin i dont wanan go like 100 and kill my slef i understand that u cant go like crazy person into a turn

Old 12-07-2005, 08:50 PM

guys, we all had to start somewhere. this is chris' starting point. i started with the 600rr and i love it. if i had to go back and start over i would make the same choice. have fun with your new bike chris and be safe.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: chris 1011

guys im not trying to argue with nay of you's im just trying to gte sum input what i should do im new to the sport and i dont wanna get my self killed i thought this would be the place to come for sum info wasnt trying to justife my point just said that i had sum experince with diffrent kind of machines now im deff looking at the diffrent views of this whole thing
Chris,

Don't take anything here personal...we just all have a lot of fun....if you do get the RR you are gonna like it here.

By the way...good job on researching the way you are. I know very few people who put the time into making their decisions.

Old 12-08-2005, 12:31 AM

thanx yeah ive been really researching i even bought a book and reading technics for driving a motorcycle and aslo was researching on each bike im the type of person that just dosent jump in to **** i think it is better to read about and know all the **** the only thing now is i have acuacally put all that knowldge into skills

Old 12-08-2005, 02:22 AM

I would listen and consider what fish said. Don't take his replies as an attack on you, he is just looking out for your best interest. Most of us here and other places have been dealing with the same questions for years. Don't let yourself get sucked into the mindset from the young/inexperienced throttle jockies that say you will outgrow a bike in one year. (Everytime I hear that, my blood pressure goes up). I have owned my F4i now for 4 years. Every year I learn more and grow on that bike. (And I've been riding for over 20, yes, Twenty years).

A 250 is a good bike to start on, even a 400cc bike would be. The problem is that us Americans don't have a market for small bikes because we like everything BIG. So, if you decide to get the 600, be careful. Don't let your ego talk you into situations your body can't cash. It is reassuring that you have done research on the bike and riding techniques. Don't blow off the MSF, you need it no matter what anyone tells you. Be safe and by all means, have fun.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well said Quagman -- props!

Old 12-08-2005, 03:39 PM

umm shhhhhhhh dont tell any of the guys here but i bought my 600rr after being on dirt bikes and street bikes about 10 times although i did race mountian and road bikes (as in bicycles) for about 8 yrs

ive also owned jetskis if rode my motorcycle like i did my jetski i would have died with out a doubt so i just ride like everythings trying to kill me: the bike, the dirt on the road, the car that doesnt see me, the dear i dont see, that piece of metal thats about to clog the oil filter causeing my engine to seize at 70 mph on the interstate. im convinced you can do everything imaginable to be safe but when its our time its our time right .....