need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 01:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need some help

ORIGINAL: chris 1011

yeah i understand your point its just that im gonna buy a bike that im gonna learn on and then im gonna get one season out of it and wnat a new one and im gonan wast emy money doing this but i understande wer eu guys are comming from..
I don't get it.....why is it that everyone comes off like they're going to be able to take a bike to the point where they'll outgrow it some ridiculously short amount of time?!?!?!?!? Reality check.....people spend a lifetime mastering a 400cc bike at the track.

I also don't understand this "waste of money" attitude either for several reasons. Firstly, the point is to learn. Its money well spent if it saves from some life-altering experience later on. Secondly, smaller beginner bikes are in such high demand (because of there will always be people in the position you're in now) that you can easily sell the bike for what you paid for it (I've even known some to sell it for a profit).

But anyway, I digress...

As someone else mentioned, you don't learn to ride in a Ferrari. Why are you so intent on thinking your first bike will be your last??? (rhetorical question)

Old 12-07-2005, 07:57 AM
Retired Administrator

CJ and fish... did you guys notice he owns/ride a Yamaha Raptor 05? The specs are about the same weight as the 600RR and it has 60 more cc. He's already riding a 660cc quad, yes it's different, but the raptor should have him use to the feel of the power... now he needs the street experience and approach speed on the twisties... I'm not arguing with either of your reasoning. Just asking if you would reconsider your opinion after knowing he's riding the Raptor.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:47 PM

how can u figure thats not a waste of money you buythe bike and then u ride it for one season and that just not enough i drove my quad that has 660 but the power is no were near the 600rr i have drove my wave runner which smokes that thing in hp i wanna know if u can hadle a wave runner that has 215 hp super sharged then u talk about power and the water has alot morechanges in the envirment than a the road dose i undertsnad that i have to learn on a small bike but im gonna just get sick of it then want a new one thats how i am i drove a banshee for my first quad and never rode anthing slower than that

Old 12-07-2005, 01:48 PM

ORIGINAL: doncollins

CJ and fish... did you guys notice he owns/ride a Yamaha Raptor 05? The specs are about the same weight as the 600RR and it has 60 more cc. He's already riding a 660cc quad, yes it's different, but the raptor should have him use to the feel of the power... now he needs the street experience and approach speed on the twisties... I'm not arguing with either of your reasoning. Just asking if you would reconsider your opinion after knowing he's riding the Raptor.
Please say you were kidding. You're telling me two wheels is the same as four?!?!?!?!?!? Do you have to countersteer a quad? Do you have to lean a quad thru a turn? Does a quad's suspension react the same way to rider input (or misinput) in mid turn? Does a quads rear slide all over the place when [mis-]using the rear brake under hard braking upon entering a turn? How do you equate those two??????????????

Okay, chris....since you've opened this up....
ORIGINAL: chris 1011

how can u figure thats not a waste of money you buythe bike and then u ride it for one season
Let's see. Suppose you buy a Ninja 250 for, say, $2500 (I'm just picking a number out of my a$$). Let's say you ride it for a year or two and you learn really well how to handle a bike. Now suppose further that you sell it for some really low price, say, $1000 (again, just a number I'm picking out of my a$$). So you've "lost" $1500. Let's compare this to buying a 600. Let's assume that you haven't learned something on this 600 that you would've had you bought the slower bike first. You get into a situation where you get in too hot in a turn. You panic, you brake, you run wide, you hit a guard rail, you lose you leg. So $1500 vs a leg. Which do you think is the better deal????????? What have you really lost in that situation????

Of course, I'm being extreme here. But the potential is real. I've already explained my stance on how you're not really losing money. So I'm not going to go thru it again.

and that just not enough i drove my quad that has 660 but the power is no were near the 600rr i have drove my wave runner which smokes that thing in hp i wanna know if u can hadle a wave runner that has 215 hp super sharged then u talk about power and the water has alot morechanges in the envirment than a the road dose
Same question here that I said to Don. How can you equate a quad to a bike. The physics and mechanics of turning, braking, etc are just soooooooooo different. And how can you equate the road to the water?????? Okay, you f*ck up on the water, you get thrown off, you float on the water in your life jacket, swim back to the waverunner and laugh about it with your friends later. How does this compare to losing it in a turn, you're laying in the asphalt hoping a car doesn't run you over, and then hope that some ambulance can get to you in time to save your life????????? I really don't see you reasoning here.

i undertsnad that i have to learn on a small bike
Actually, I really don't think you do understand. These are not just weekend toys. They require skills to ride them. You aren't born with them but you can develop and hone them.

but im gonna just get sick of it then want a new one thats how i am i drove a banshee for my first quad and never rode anthing slower than that
whatever.

Look, you asked for opinions (you even PM'ed me for mine specifically).......you got them. I'm only feeding you info. Its still your choice to decide. As I said earlier, just remember that your choices can have serious consequences (of which many of us don't realize until after the fact).

Old 12-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude,

quad is in dirt...and you don't really need balance and stuff to get it going and there's no counter steering involved...and the power on a quad is not like that of a bike...nor does it accelerate like a bike. buddy of mine has been riding quads for a long long time...now wants a bike...and i told him about counter steering and he said STFU...no such thing...i was like BUAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA...see you in the hospital the first time you get that puppy up to speed!

you are not going to ride a bike for one season and then be all rossi on it...know why? other more experience guys will get on a 250 and spank you...and you won't come close to their skillz in one season...if this sound harsh, sorry, it's truth...but i guess i should throw some love into my words eh?

fact...you want a 600RR...you're set on an RR...you like the looks of the RR, but you come to this board asking for suggestions, then counter them with yours...so what's the point? get what you want and be careful...and i don't care if your this and that has this many HP...it's not a bike and most of all, you aren't going to crash it in the roads where others are or on asphalt.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:41 PM

hey abadfish, not to add wood to the fire but riding quads takes all the same skills as riding our bikes do. the only thing that is differnt is how the geometry changes from being on two wheels but other wise everything you mentiond still happens on quads. and looking at that, your probably safer riding an RR than you are riding the quad (more people are killed each year from quads than all other types of powersports) because when you take a quad out you go out to abuse it and ride the ***** off of it, when you take out your RR you just take it to ride, sometimes you get frisky but mostly you just cruise around. ive said it before, if you respect it it will love you like a poodle, dont respect it and thats your problem to deal with. with that, to the original poster, if your not comfortable with yourself on a cbr yet, than take abadfish's advice and start on something smaller, its not as cool as a cbr but neither is having broken legs.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:03 PM

ORIGINAL: chillin

hey abadfish, not to add wood to the fire but riding quads takes all the same skills as riding our bikes do. the only thing that is differnt is how the geometry changes from being on two wheels but other wise everything you mentiond still happens on quads.
It was not my intention to imply that riding quads didn't require any skills. I apologize if that is how it sounded. I'm sure it does take skill to ride on of those monsters. My point was that the skill set isn't necessarily transferrable to two-wheeled machines because the physics and mechanics are so drastically different. Now had he said he been on dirtbikes for years, I'd wouldn't have any heartburn in recommending a 600 as a first street bike because so much dirtbike experience is very applicable to street bikes (that's how many of today's top racers have started). In fact, you can tell on the track who started out in dirt. The track riders who started in dirt don't think twice about a rear wheel slide while the non-dirt riders freak out. But again, I'm digressing....

and looking at that, your probably safer riding an RR than you are riding the quad (more people are killed each year from quads than all other types of powersports) because when you take a quad out you go out to abuse it and ride the ***** off of it, when you take out your RR you just take it to ride, sometimes you get frisky but mostly you just cruise around.
That is not the behavior I have observed. Here in SF, CA, we have some of the best twisties in the world. Unfortunately, too many people treat it like a racetrack because they don't want to spend the time/money to go to the track. Many of them pay dearly for that decision.

Old 12-07-2005, 04:27 PM

well, let's ask the OG poster...what would be his riding style eh?
quad takes skillz...people get killed on them because they are being stupid...and many many times, liquored up!
if you're going to compare stats, compare all of it, not just little pieces here and there, because otherwise, it's not valid.

T

Old 12-07-2005, 05:54 PM

I'm sold....I'm selling my RR and getting a quad

(no)

Either way, enjoy your new bike!

Old 12-07-2005, 07:10 PM

NO MANG! sell your bike and get a super duper thugged out super duper charged sea doo...with 1000HP that will blow away any cigarette boat...so hardcore that only cigar boats can keep up....