need some help

Old 12-06-2005, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help

just stared out and i dunno what bike to buy i want to get a cbr 600rr anyone have any advice and give me sum info really would help me out

Old 12-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Default RE: need some help

what kind of riding experience do you have? 600rr's are awesome... love mine!

Old 12-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Retired Administrator

Welcome to the forum Chris... give us a little more info about yourself so we can know what we are dealing with. I personally believe the 600 is a great bike for anyone. If you ride a 250 like an idiot, you can still kill yourself... but you'll soon want to upgrade loosing money in the process. I've ridden all types of bikes for years and love my 05 CBR 600RR. I rarely find the opportunity to open her up so I don't feel the need for a liter bike (1000cc). As for which maker... most people will tell you "you'll have to test sit and see which one feels right for you." I don't think you really get a lot out of this, I mean I sat on every bike I could find... and they all felt good. You'd have to test ride one for a couple hours to see if the ergonomics are right for you.

But again, tell us more of what you are looking for and we can help you more.

Old 12-06-2005, 04:47 PM

well ive rode quads all my life since i was little i have a raptor 06 and i have a warrior i know thwere no were the power of a bike but i know all about the clutch and allthat i also have a seadoo rxp which is a ****in beast 215 hp supercharged intercooled so i have the feel with power i just never rode a bike i used to ride dirt bikes here and there but no real experince on 2 wheels expect for a bike haha but i just dont know wut to expect i really wanan get a bike i just dont know how its gonan feel for me i want a cbr 600rr i heard so many good things about them but i was looking that r6 or the gsx 600 o6 model i sat on the hond and the gsx but the older modle they all feel the same just wanan know how hard is it really to drive one of them and give me more info realy would help me out thanx

Old 12-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Retired Administrator

I can't say enough good things about my 600RR. Love it. As far as how hard it is to ride one... you've rode two wheels before so you should have some of the basics down. I'd suggest taking the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course after you buy one. Since you have limited to no experience on the street, the course will give you skills and confidence you'll need. Plus, if you pick up a new Honda, they give you a free year with HRCA club, which will reimburse you up to $75 for the course.

Old 12-06-2005, 05:04 PM

yeha i was looking into that course im deff. taking it so u think the honda is the way to go in all honestly i looks better than all the other bikes i want to try to get a 05 but in jeresy its cold and its so hard to buy a bike and look at for couple months

Old 12-06-2005, 05:29 PM

You gotta fight the cold soldier and go buy your steed!! Sorry, I got a bit outta hand. Anyway, I've got an 05 600rr too, which was also my first bike. It's not bad at all as long as you respect what the bike is capable of. Oh, and welcome.

Old 12-06-2005, 05:31 PM

By your own admission, you have no real experience on motorized two wheels.

I'm a minority on this board with this opinion but since you asked....

First, lets starts with some assumptions/facts:
1. you are a new rider with little to no experience.
2. your desire is to ride a sportbike which implies that you [eventually] want to ride it aggressively.

Now on to my soapbox...

Many here will say that you should get what you want or you'd otherwise be unhappy. I disagree with that. Keep in mind that this is your first bike. If you truly end up loving sportbike riding, then it won't be your last bike. No matter what you get, there will always be something newer and better out there. So there will always be some degree of dissatisfaction.

People have often said that you can start on a 600 as long as you ride responsibly and keep your head. I think that's true 99% of the time. Its that 1% that can kill you. 600s are so smooth (yes, even the older ones) that many are riding high speed without even realizing it. I'm sure we've all experienced looking down at our speedos and saying, "Oh ****! I'm doing 90mph". Now put a new rider in the twisties, cruising along being as responsible as can be and then......BOOM....you in a corner too hot. What do you do???? (there is no right or wrong answer here as there are likely several options) This is where the 600 can be outright deadly and people learn that a 600 isn't as forgiving as once thought.

In these situations, the higher horsepowered bikes would prefer to throw you off and continue on their merry way. But its these situations that you need to learn to suvive on the streets. Things like panic breaking, mid-turn steering adjustments, when and when not to apply the throttle are not easily learned on a 600 (though not impossible). In these situations, the smaller, lighter, less powerfull and more forgiving bike is what will teach you what to do and not do in a safer (and hopefully, less painful) manner. And isn't that the point of your first bike (which brings me to the first assumption/fact)???

Some have said that if you get a small bike as your first bike that you'll be wanting something with more power in a short time. Though I have no evidence or hard data to support this, IMHO, I believe the people who say this are the ones who are only concerned with going fast in a straight line and don't carry the corner speed. A small bike will force you to use all available horsepower and carry the corner speed (which brings me to the second assumption/fact). You'll learn much faster how to ride aggressively and ride a sportbike the way it was designed to. Take it to the track and you'll learn [quite quickly] the advantages to starting on a small bike.

Anyway, this is just a perspective from an avid track rider who pushes his bike more than the average street rider. Ultimately, the choice is yours. Just realize that your choices can have serious consequences. I believe a smaller bike will better prepare you for all the crap that the street will throw at you.

Good luck!!

Old 12-06-2005, 06:50 PM

+1....and I have a '05 600RR. But I've had a few other bikes before this. If you drop.go down you are gonna be pissed that you did on you new bike. Oh yeah, welcome by the way. I would get an older or smaller bike. Will be way cheap....no biggie when go down...you could even turn it into a stunter if wanted when out grow.

One wouldn't learn to drive a car on a new Ferrrari...you go out on a crappy old ride and abuse it. Then buy yourself the "steed."

FYI...HONDA rocks. Good stuff.

Old 12-07-2005, 01:14 AM

yeah i understand your point its just that im gonna buy a bike that im gonna learn on and then im gonna get one season out of it and wnat a new one and im gonan wast emy money doing this but i understande wer eu guys are comming from.. i have my eyes set on the cbr for so long and i just dont know what to do .

Search this Thread