Need some drag racing advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 02:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some drag racing advice

So i hang out at this local track sometimes and watch the drag races, and one day, one of my friends suggests that i should take the bike there sometime and participate.

heres where i need some help. i was wondering if i could have some of the guys who are experienced with drag racing give me some suggestions as to mods. not really any power adding mods, but just general things that would help in this type of thing.

heres what i have already..

well i have a trailer, just in case, lol
lowering strap (i want any suspension changes to be quickly reversable)
i'll be rebuilding my clutch with a fresh set of plates and springs

also, would the hrc quick throttle be a good idea for this?
possibly -1 up front as well?

Old 08-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Default RE: Need some drag racing advice

Work on launch technique first, then strive for numbers. if you've already got that down, i suggest a 520 conversion, with -1 or -2 up front and +3 or +4 in the rear. You'll be shifiting alot but your power band is up there so that's a good thing. Also this will force you to get your body inside quicker, decreasing your exposed air resistnace. I'd suggest a slip on and/or PCIII with V-Stack Modification for midrange/overall power and performance increases. eitherway you go with this it's under 500 bucks... if you decide to go for both a slip on and PCIII with V-Stack mod the benifits are immence. try not to run with a lot of fuel either. the less you weigh, the more effective thrust you have. just enough to get you up and down the track. bring fuel.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:53 PM

The most I would gear it would be -1 in the front, +1 or +2 in the rear. You gear it to low and yes you will be shifting alot and you will never keep the front end down. The front end will be coming up on you at every shift, and you just may be geared out before the end of the track. -2 in the front and +3 or +4 in the rear is just way to low. The biggest part to drag racing is the launch. If you can learn to launch and keep the front end down your times will be much better. Maybe look into a lowering strap for the front and a adjustable lowering link for the rear. Then you could lower the rear and strap the front when your going to the track and then put it all back to stock in 10 minutes when your done. But remember never ride on the street with your front end strapped. Not a good thing to do.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:43 AM

ORIGINAL: cbr_racin123

The most I would gear it would be -1 in the front, +1 or +2 in the rear.
that's kinda what i was thinking. i figured anything more extreme, and i'd just me shooting myself in the foot. i'd end up with more a wheelie machine and less a drag setup, lol

thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming if you think of anything else

Old 08-29-2006, 01:19 AM

get as far foward on the bike as you can and lower the bike as far as you can. only burn the tire until it starts to smoke any more and it is a waste of tire. lower the air pressure in the rear tire to about 20psi. lay flat and still and it will help you launch harder. hug the tank. bring it out at like 10,000 and use the clutch so it doesnt fall below like 8500-9000 through all of first. if you can get in the 1.7 60' range you should run like a 10.60 if it is stock or maybe a 10.40 if lightly modded. hope this helps. post some numbers when you give this a try im interested to see how it goes.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:16 AM

My only advice is if you are a lighter guy is actually to run some fuel in the tank. My mods are nothing extreme, but full throttle in a drag situation my front wheel won't stay down even in 3rd on an empty tank (i tried it to see if it helped.) Me personally I ran best with a little more then a half tank. Gearing at -1 +2 should be more then enough. I run -1.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:15 AM

I have a 05 600 rr and I geared my bike -1 +3. I have no issues with the front end coming up. I fan the clutch and she carries the front wheel about 8 inches thru 1st gear and when I shift to 2nd it comes down and then back up 1/2 way thru 2nd. My best run is 11.22 at 122. I lower tire pressure and do a small burn out. I haven't strapped the front down but I will probely try that soon. I run super unleaded and keep the tank on the light side. I have to shift into 4th just before the finish line. 60ft times in the 1.8's

Old 09-05-2006, 12:12 PM

Well i wouldnt go into all of that befor you learn to launch real good that will get you a long way in drag racing. I dont burn out or lower the tire pressure witch it does help. i just work on the launch. I have beaten busa's for money on the 1/8 mile just because i can get that launch. i would aslo get some kind of shifting system. like a quick shifter or air shifter that helps with your time alot. good luck THE KID