Need new rear sproket

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new rear sproket

so that i can make the bike quicker off the line, but keep as much top end as possible, what does everyone recommend? should i go with one of those deals that offer a better chain at the same time, or just wait for the stock one to be shot?

Old 03-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Default RE: Need new rear sproket

Most people say go -1/+2 (down one in the front, and up two in the back, JIC)... Personally I have 1-/+1 with the stock chain. I did this because I did not want to slaughter my highway ability, but wanted a little more low end performance. As a general ratio.. changing one tooth in the front is equivalent to changing three teeth in the rear, regardless of direction. I wouldnt go down more then one in the front though, as it will put a greater pinch on your chain and is more likely to pop your master link. If you just want to do the rear, +3 would not be bad, it would however result in you getting a new chain, as the stock one is not long enough to get around a sprocket that size.

I dont know if you were speaking about width at all, but stock you have 525. Many people go down to a 520 to reduce rotational mass, but there is much controversy that follows this, as they require to be tightened much more often, and can handle less torque loads. A friend of mine rides an SV1000 and he did the 520 conversion. Hes accelerating in third gear, with like 1000 miles on the chain (a renthal), and it pops, whips around, barley misses taking off his leg, but does manage to put a nice fat hole in his block.... He would tell you to stick with the thicker one, as it is bigger, and we all know bigger is better.

It will ultimately be cheaper for you to purchase a kit that has both sprockets and an after-market chain all in one shot, but you can do whatever you'd like. My rollout (the top speed when the tire is off the ground) was 178 from the factory, and now its at about 155 with the new gearing. Just to give you an idea of where you will stand. My RPMs went from about 7k at 80mph to about 9k at 80mph, which is my estimated highway cruising speed. Whatever you do, I recommend you make sure that your avg highway speed is achievable under 9500ish rpms, because above that is when the secondary injectors engage on the 07's, leading to severe engine screaming and mass fuel consumption.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:09 PM

I recently researched a 520 conversion, and I found it was only recommended for 600 cc bikes. Putting a 520 chain on your 1000 was not recommended by anything that I read, but on 600's it is a common way to get more performance out of your bike.

It's also not recommended to use a new chain on an old sprocket as the sprocket will be worn in the pattern of the old chain, so you should neveruse a 520 chain on a sprocket that was used for a 525 chain. It will cause premature wear on the new chain and is considered dangerous. If your going to change the chain, buy a full conversion kit with front and rear sprocket. You can also get hardened aluminum sprockets which weigh much less than OEM and last just as long. Good deals can be found at motomummy.com.

I foundthis link very helpful when I was getting my new 520 kit:

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/c...dsprockets.htm

Old 03-12-2008, 04:18 PM

that was very helpful information, but now i'm more confused as to what i should buy. i was unaware that the rpms would raise so dramatically at higher speed. does anyone have a kit that they recommend? does the kit void the warranty in any way? i still have until next november on my warranty, so i'm not looking for anything that would interfere with that.

maybe i should just stick with the stock sprockets (new ones) and a higher quality chain...****! caca! mierda!

Old 03-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for the other replies.. .. try a -1 in the front and see how u like that

Old 03-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: Need new rear sprocket

i have -1 in front and it made a big difference to me ,i did a 520 EK chain (red) and Vortex sprockets
at the beginning it was kind of tricky because it responds quicker and has more push to it ,first week i almost lost it on the turns but u get use to it

Old 03-12-2008, 09:27 PM

If your gonna buy an OEM sprocket and chain, you may as well just get a 520 conversion kit.

http://www.motomummy.com/store/produ...270&page=1

Old 03-12-2008, 09:32 PM

-1/+4 RK/AFAM. Its been like...4-5 months since I did it and I have YET needed to tighten it. Thats with lubing it often though.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: jfunkRR

If your gonna buy an OEM sprocket and chain, you may as well just get a 520 conversion kit.

http://www.motomummy.com/store/produ...270&page=1
true.. but usually those kits on ebay and shuch.. 520s go to aluminum becuase the whole idea is go for lighter parts.. but u also have less life to aluminum.. so keep that in mind

Old 03-13-2008, 07:10 PM

My buddy has the Vortex kit on his -1/+1 I think and its pulls hard and powers up easy, the RPMs are higher at highway speeds so if that is what you are worried about I wouldnt change too much with sprocket ratios. One tooth on each side really make a big difference and personally I wouldnt go anymore than that