My new bike and first scare

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 03:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My new bike and first scare

It's the same technique as driving a car: you brake before the turn, then accelerate through. I wouldn't suggested braking mid-turn, especially if you're in a lean. Instead just release the throttle a gently, but don't jerk the bike. And always look to where you're turning, keep that head up man and you'll have plenty of riding days to come.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:58 AM

Like they saying goes..."when in doubt, give it some gas..." That philosophy goes against everything your body is telling you to do, but it will save your *** some day, because releasing the throttle will make the bike want to stand up and go straight...that's not good!

Braking while committed to a turn is a bad idea...especially with the front brake, I'd say it's safer to use the rear brake while in a turn because you won't weight the front end and upset the suspension...the rear is the best break to use to scrub speed during a turn as the front brake is the best brake to use for trail braking...both are advanced techniques and I wouldn't recommend to a new rider.

Definitely get in the habit of looking through the turn...they say to look where you want the bike to go, so if you panic and look into the woods, guess where you're going to head?

cbr_nasty, I'm relieved you pulled through and didn't end up on your head like FlatBlack...the important thing is you didn't go down!

Old 08-17-2006, 04:20 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

ORIGINAL: cbr_nasty

Well today after getting home from school i decided to take the rr out for a ride to build up some miles on it and get it through the break in im going with the cruise it staying between 4-6000 rpms and occasionally take it up between 7-8000 for less then a second it was a suggestion from another on this site and after researching the subject a little its how i decided i will break my bike in. I kinda figure its right between babying the bike and thrashing it. Although i have gotten on it a few times a little less then full throttle never for longer then two or three seconds.....but anyway on the way home i came up on a very long and gentle left turn and i was experimenting with the push left go left push right go right thing just takin it easy and getting a feel for my bike so im about midway through the turn slightly leaning with the bike and all of a sudden the bike is going in a straight line right off the road it was a little scary for a second but i just sat up and very gently braked and slowed down enough to continue through the turn but it was a very humbling experience i was starting to forget how easily a bike thats way to much bike for me in the first place could easily get away from me id like to think maybe it was that nasty compound on the tires still since my bike only has 61 miles on it but i feel most likely i was just overconfident and went into the turn a little to hot for my riding skill anyway im glad i didnt go down and that i was wearing all my gear I feel much better once i get some frame sliders on im seriously dreading the first drop
Should have bought a Ninja 2fiddy! powwa!!!!

Old 08-23-2006, 07:40 PM

Perhaps you should have taken a motorcycle safety course first. Who almost tosses their bike in the first 60 miles?

Old 08-23-2006, 07:47 PM

newbies, that's who.

there are two types of new riders:

Newbies and Noobies

Newbies are those who are new and know it. they take advice and apply it when they **** it up.
Noobies are those who for whatever reason take advice and mouth off to those giving solid advice, and disregard it completely.

There's a good Webcomic about this, but it refers to gamers instead of riders. same concept applies really. Here it is!!!

Old 08-23-2006, 09:24 PM

Glad to hear your OK. You need take take your time and don't try to do things too quickly.

A very simple thing to remember is "Look where you want to go". When you become more experienced and your confidence grows you will always be looking where you want to go - and you will not become fixated.

I believe target fixation starts with the thought "If I go off the road here what am I going to hit" then you look there - and will go there. A confident rider will be looking through the corner seeing where they want to be, and reacting to any changes in the road conditions.

Good luck, and be patient.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:57 AM

I have my msf course on sep 14th i havent been riding the bike on heavily used roads mostly backroads by my house and only a couple times i wasnt going to take the msf course at first but i changed my mind and signed up for it today

Old 08-24-2006, 01:15 PM

I just took my MSF course last weekend! I know some people have mixed emotions about MSF, even my instructor, who is a moto-cop, says he does not totally agree with some of their methods, but he incorporated his input on top of MSF and I learned alot! I even told him how some of the experienced riders on this board said to look where you want to go. He was pretty impressed at how much I picked up from reading from this forum!

Thanks for the advice from you all and hopefully "newbies" like CBR Nasty and myself shall never have problems turning again!

Old 08-24-2006, 01:39 PM

well being in a controlled environment is good and all (which is what makes the track such an appealing place) but going from practicve to practicality (or from MSF to the street) makes it a little different. just remember to look far enough ahead and lean with the bike on the faster curves. Look through every turn. you did it in the box, and look how well it served you!

BTW, how did you do? any points taken? where they a little more critical of you since you ride? they were on me. still got a big fat zero, but it makes it more fun when they call you on a technicality and then you go ahead and meet that technicality... and then they toss anouther one at you. makes it fun if you ask me!

Old 08-24-2006, 02:44 PM

I freaked out on the quick stop, and the figure 8 u-turns were killing me! But I did not ask for my score becuse depression would have set in! J/K, but I was just happy that I passed! [8D]

Quick Reply: My new bike and first scare