My first bike ever... any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My first bike ever... any tips?

congrats!

Old 02-04-2006, 06:53 PM

Congrats on the new bike. Make sure you break it in right.

Old 02-05-2006, 01:23 PM

Awesome, my first bike was a 2002 R6 and it was touchy at first, I asked a friend to show me how to ride, he said the only way you will learn to truly ride is to teach yourself. So i hopped on it and started riding around the block and taught myself. Not the smartest way to learn but hey it worked. Now i'm really comfortable on my RR. Just be safe and easy with it!

Old 02-06-2006, 02:25 PM

The break-in info link is very good. By the way, his technique is EXACTLY how we break in a new piston engine on an airplane. I've done a ton of em. RUN EM HARD!!!!! We circle the airport at about 5000 feet for about 2 hours with the throttle pretty close to wide open, with an accasional change, then back up to WOT.

Works!!

My question is for us newbies...we're not really "one" with our machines yet. We get delivery of the new RR & we need to use the street method. So how difficult is it to do some serious throttle ups and not lose control as a newbie??

I figure run-on accelerations. He says, only up to about 65 mph required, but even that's a pretty fast feel for a newbie! Y'all remember those days way back when???

So I mean we don't want to screw up our new motors. We wanna break them in right. We don't want to crash our bikes in the first 20 miles, and we'd rather break them in ourselves than hand off our brand new bike to another person. What do do?? Dyno isn't near by either.

Old 02-09-2006, 10:17 PM

ITS HERE
UNbelievable... ok call me noob but I went 135kmph and it has sent me chills... That is FAST.. and now I know why I have to lay my chest on the tank!

Whats the maximum speed for the 600rr? It just seems to have so much more left in the throttle when at 135, and there's plenty more petrol it can still take in.

My report is: If you have had an impression on a sportbike, such as the 600rr, then it's completely false, and all what you recieved by your senses is not real. Ride it like you would ride the training class motorcycle. The only thing is that it weights more, so you need to concern your self with balance all the time, until you're used to it. Don't assume the throttle is so touchy that it would throw you off the bike if you're a newbie, you only have to get the feel of it. Let it go on the first gear if you wary, and see how it comes. And YES, read the Owners Manual before you ride. I did that and I am glad I did. Learned few lessons, rather than by all good advice you can find here, but by empirical evidence: 1. never shift gears on a turn (I noticed my rear wheel skid a little) so could be dangerous. 2. Cars infront of you are able to stop faster than you are, so maximize distance (don't be a bummer to the cars behind you, but keep an eye on the cars infront of you. I hit the brake one time, and I could feel the rear wheel sliding on the road winding left to right, only hoping I will stop before I hit front, I stopped, pretty close). 3. Never drive on the hard shoulder of cars, either behind them, or over-take as soon you have a chance. 4. LOOK OUT from women driving cars, particularly WOMEN. They don't know whats good for them. They want men to please them. They are selfish, so if you ask them for way, do not procceed expecting that you're going to get it (persistent honking don't work, I tried). Their immediate apprehension on road attendance is just unreliable.

I indeed have much more to say about the experience, but something's gotta pull it all out, that would be some long sleep over the weekend : ) ... night.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: ashsammy

I hit the brake one time, and I could feel the rear wheel sliding on the road winding left to right, only hoping I will stop before I hit front, I stopped, pretty close).
From what I've read, if you let the rear brake out in a rear tire skid and the wheels are not aligned you will High Side! It's better to skid to a stop, but it's even better never to skid the rear tire.

Old 02-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Retired Super Moderator

Just wanted to clear somethin up....

A car in front of you can NOT stop "faster" than you. You're bike is able to stop on a dime, when the brakes are used properly. The normal stated ratio is 70% front, 30% back. Meaning that 70% of your braking power is from the front wheel---your back tire is only responsible for 30% of your braking power.

That said, i do not advocate tailgating cars. While the ability of a bike to stop is greater than a car, it is impossible to read the mind of the driver in front of you, and your reaction time may be the factor that makes you stop slower than the car in front of you---causing you to stick your fender in their taillight. That'd be a good way to get a good look at the top of a car though, as you flew over it.

The only time that i advocate riding closer to cars is at nite, when you can use the headlights of the car in front of you to expand your forward observation area therefore increasing your reaction time to potential road hazards.

-Adam

Old 02-12-2006, 03:48 PM

However, I think when applying both brakes, you should always stress harder on the rear than you are stressing on the front wheel, because if the front wheel skids, then there's a big chance you're gonna fall off, because it doesn't skid in a straight line as like the rear wheel, which would rather slide on the road. But because the car is heavier, it has less chance of skidding, so obviously it would stop faster than a motorcycle, and not because the bike is lighter it would stop faster, but would skid easier. And I think its better to observe the car infront the car infront of you than the car infront of you, because the last has no good reason to hit the brakes before the first does.

Old 02-12-2006, 06:17 PM

Dude, your gonna kill yourself.

Be careful, take the riding class, and most importantly have respect for the fact that you know nothing about how to ride the bike.... YET! Take your time and live to ride another day.

Old 02-12-2006, 07:02 PM

msf course, gear, and lots of parking lot time. Pretty much every time you head to ride just stop by some empty parking lot or somethen and practice some stuff... helps you get used to the bike and kind of warms you up. Just a thought, after you get used to the bike you can stop doing the parking lot stuff but it never hurts.

don't do that stupid F*ing mototune hard break in, you don't have the time, or the facilities... you'd need a week or so on a dyno to get all the pulls in that he suggests, or some hard core track access... it's not worth it... just take it easy for the first 600 miles... hell, if you have enough free time you could do that in like a week.

just learn the bike, try to break hard without locking up ANY of the wheels... i still haven't pushed my front to the limit. You should never try to lock up any of the tires... a front skid results in the bike low siding, and a rear skid usually results in a high side at speed. either way it's bad.

don't become a statistic.

Quick Reply: My first bike ever... any tips?