My 03 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 03 won't start

I started my bike (2003 CBR 600RR)the other morning with no problems, I've been riding it almost everyday. I got to my friends and we hung out for alittle bit. We noticed the case that holds oil on the right side was leaking alittle so we tightend up all the bolts, which were loose (I plan on taking that off and putting a new gasket on it soon because the leak is still there slightly).

But anyways, that is all we did and I go to start it to leave and it wouldn't start. We then pop started it in 2nd to ride for awhile. We stopped for gas, and it wouldn't start again. So I again had to pop start it. Since then it just won't start electrically. The headlights and everything go on when I try to start it, and it ALMOST starts, but doesn't. I assumed it was the battery but I tested it and it seems to be fine, I charged it up and put it back in but that didn't help. I also tried to put a jump on it when the battery was in, but that wouldn't start it either. A buddy came down and we checked the resistor and it seemed to be good. He was supposed to come down last night to look at it some more, but he never showed. I just wanna get this thing taken care of so I can ride!!!

Any ideas on what else to look at or maybe what it could be? I also checked all the fuses that I could see and they all looked good... Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Default RE: My 03 won't start

I'm assuming the Kickstand is not down and "in-gear" when you are attempting to start it. I know it sounds lame and silly, but many have done this.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:28 AM

Yea the kick stand is usually always down when I start it and always in neutral...

Old 05-29-2008, 01:18 PM

I think this belongs more in general tech, also. So if some1 could move this to there that would be helpful, thanks.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:30 PM

well a guy checked the starter, regulator, connections, stator and a few other things. he believes it is the battery. I brought the battery to be load tested and it tested fine... could the battery still be bad??

If so, where should I start shopping for one? I already called around and no one local has one... seems to be an oddball battery... its a YTZ 10S that is in there. I'm thinking about getting one of ebay but Idk. Any input would be appreciated...

Old 05-31-2008, 12:52 AM

Had to replace my Batt-Ree earlier part of this year.
Cleared me up. It may be worth a shot, I bought mine from Ebay from a High Feedback Seller.
Put it in myself , works fine. An issue with the 03's that may be a player is that if you are running at operating temp 210-230 degrees or so , u may get some sluggish cranking even with a strong battery.
See if that's your case, but it sounds like you were dead on a cold start , just brainstorming.

Try that battery though, 30-50 bux on ebay or online somewhere, don't go retail they'll try to get you for 150+ (NO WAY MAN)

Old 06-24-2008, 05:02 PM

Well, I still haven't fixed this problem, infact it's just becoming a huge PITA and $ pit. I've had the battery load tested fine and switched it out with another 1 just to see the same thing happen. I've checked the connections, fuses, bypassed the starter relay, put a brand new starter in and Ijust got done putting in a brand new starter clutch assembly (the old 1 lookd like it was slipping and smelled fried)... and it still will not start. I put my battery on charge just incase it was down alittle but I really don't think that's it.

I ended up putting the battery in after it charged and again, nothing. I took apart the actual starter switch near the engine cut off switch and cleaned it. It looked to be working fine I also took a couple wires to check it to make sure it wasn't part of the switch and it was working like it should. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:57 AM

Im having the same problem getting mine to start but my problem is a little different. Im just going to take it to a local reliable shop and have them hack away at it.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:08 AM

well first of all make sure you got enough oil in it since you got a leak. get the leak fixed before anything, then see if it still does it. i would replace the battery then. and after that if its still bad, take it to a shop

thats all i got

Old 06-25-2008, 11:10 AM

There is enough oil because I just had the right crank case apart to put the starter clutch in, and after I rode it yesterday I checked the oil level again and it looked fine.

I'd really rather fix this on my own, rather than bring it to a shop. I've already brought it to a shop and it ended up costing me $500 for them to put a new starter in, and that didn't fix my problem,I also had to wait 2 weeks for them just do to that.

After that and putting the starter clutch in, I'm starting to put alot more money than I want to into it. I know if I bring it to the dealer they're going to rape me hard, it's almost like I'm better off selling this and buying a brand new bike if I'm going to be putting $1-2k into it...

Quick Reply: My 03 won't start