Motorcycle Fatal Effect

Old 10-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle Fatal Effect

I just saw a motorcyclist fatal today, (aftermath). The typical left turn in front of the bike. Rider laying on the ground unresponsive. Pronounced dead. Body Bag and all. Very sad. Just can't help but think about it. I try and put myself in that situation and wonder if there was something that could have been done to anticipate such a collision. Of course, many people that I know say: "See why I don't like those things!" I love riding and just can't imagine being without my bike. But, seeing something like this today, really shakes a person up. Tomorrow is a new day. :-)

Old 10-09-2007, 11:30 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: Motorcycle Fatal Effect

i was driving home from work once and saw the end result of a car vs bike colision. the dude lying on the sidewalk and his bike torn into 2 pieces.. everytime i drove past that spot i always would remember what happened and remember that fallen rider... there were plants that grew all down the road where he crashed and for some reason in that spot only they dont any more

it can be a very troubling experience and it reminds us of our own mortality but we must remember to cherish life.. someones sig on here says "ride like you want to ride tomorrow" have fun but ride safe

Old 10-09-2007, 11:43 PM

When I was 16, I drove past a motorcycle car collision. The dude was wearing gear, but the chic pulled out while he was going over 50mph. I remember seeing him lying in the middle of the road in a pool of blood. He died later on but he is a constant reminder for me to not trust cagers.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:44 PM

You can not look at it like that, how many people die in their cages every year. If you love to ride then ride, the only thing you can do is keep scanning and always try to have a way out.
Brother we (chicagoriders) have lost several riders over the years but you can not stop doing what you love because of the WHAT IF factor.

Just how I feel.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:22 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a firm believer in that if it's your time to go, it's your time to go, whether it's a car, bike, boating accident, toothbrush fatality, whatever. Now that doesn't mean go out and ride ***** out all the time, but just take it easy and scan the road like you normally do. I can't live my life in fear.......

I'd rather die young doing what I love, than to live a long, miserable life with regrets of what should have been...................And your love can be anything.......bikes, cars, family, etc. I myself have many loves, and my bike is one of them.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:25 AM

it is a dangerous sport...respect is the key to survive...

Old 10-10-2007, 05:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

toothbrush fatality??? Dont think I seen one of those lol. Sorry just trying to cheers thing up 8)

Old 10-10-2007, 08:26 AM

Yeah I think we all have those mortal reminder places, or if we don't, we'll all have one eventually. There's this little industrial place that I ride by every now and than where my friend died doing a wheelie, head with someone else. Everyone dies some way, some how.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To me, the key is to be as prepared as possible. To that end, I just ordered an Olympia neon yellow jacket for commuting. I have noticed that people wearing these bright neon yellow jackets stand out bigger than hell and get noticed, so that is what I am going to start wearing on my daily commute!

Old 10-10-2007, 09:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

I'm a firm believer in that if it's your time to go, it's your time to go, whether it's a car, bike, boating accident, toothbrush fatality, whatever.
Couldn't agree more, I had my close call about two weeks into having my new bike.

Below is a description of the longest couple of seconds in my life:

2030 friday night, no traffic, 6 lane road near an industrial area (quite part of town) .... Jump on it off the light grabbed second around 12k honked a bit more. Saw an oncoming car, flashed my highbeams, sat up to wind brake, and (where i made my mistake...other than the speeding) only covered my brakes.

Car changed into left turn lane, and was not going to stop. I jumped on the brakes, accidently locked up the rear, while sliding with rear kicked out had the thought go threw my mind "way to go assh*#e you've done it this time, this isn't a matter ofgoing to hurt, this is a matter of your dead, and your lucky parents get the privalage of burying their son next week" rear tire started to roll again, but it was evedent Iwas going to hit the car just behind the passenger door, and I was trying to think if jumping off the bike would help.... I chickened out thank god. It must have been about 10-15 from the car (skid mark on road that i checked a couple days later), I was still trying to lean the bike past the rear of the car, and still fairly hard on the front brake. Next thing i remeber I was about half a block from the intersection... I obviously blacked out, and just missed him, thank god he didn't panic and hit the brakes!

Just typing this has raised my heart rate, although i can joke, like "it sure was a bi*#ch cleaning my SH*T out of the trunk lock".truth be told,everytimeI approch an intersection now,if there is someone in the left turn lane opposing meI'm on the brakes enough to transfer a bit of weight to allowfor agressive braking if req'd, oh yea and I save the riding like an idiot for the track.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motorcycle Fatal Effect