CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/)
-   -   Maintenance after sitting for a period of time? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/maintenance-after-sitting-period-time-130746/)

volcom440 09-12-2011 08:33 PM

Maintenance after sitting for a period of time?

hey all volcom here. my '04 600RR has been sitting for around 10 weeks now due to me being away at my tech school for the military. Anyways i'll be coming home the first week in October and that'll mean it will be sitting for around 13 weeks, and I was just curious as of what precautions and small maintenance i should do so i wont hurt anything on my bike. What would YOU do if you were in my position is what i'm basically asking.

sincalirider 09-13-2011 03:41 AM

Check tires for a flat spot if the bike wasn't on stands, check fuel tank for rust if stabilizer wasn't added, check tire pressure and maybe look to see if any spiders decided to call my bike home. Oh and if the battery wasn't on a trickle charger I'd give it a good charge before starting.

volcom440 09-13-2011 06:24 AM

awesome thanks, what should i do in case i do have flat spots and/or rust in the tank? sorry for all the questions im still new to the motorcycle world. :)

herbcbr1000f 09-13-2011 10:02 AM

Step 1: if rust is in the tank drain tank and put in fresh fuel with some fuel injector cleaner

step 2: roll bike off flat spots and let it sit for a day. sometimes the flat spots come out but if not replace tires

step 3: check air filter before starting for unexpected guests

step 4: change your oil and get some fresh oil in there

Step 5: lube and clean chain and inspect bike for abnormalities

Step 6: if all else fails grab a beer and read the owners manual

ubengineering 09-14-2011 07:15 PM

its been ten weeks not 3 years, start it up and let it idle a few minutes, then take off with it, where the hell would rust have built up in the tank, did you leave the gas cap open outside??

i check my tires regularly but in the last 3 years, my tires have fluctuated 1psi

volcom440 09-14-2011 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by ubengineering (Post 1100091)
its been ten weeks not 3 years, start it up and let it idle a few minutes, then take off with it, where the hell would rust have built up in the tank, did you leave the gas cap open outside??

i check my tires regularly but in the last 3 years, my tires have fluctuated 1psi

i see your point here but it wont hurt to do some minor checks anyways ya know?

racerx450r 09-17-2011 06:17 AM

.hell mines sat all last winter without being run. give everything a good once over check and go for a spin. thats not sitting a long time. my hondamatic has sat for about 7 years and it still has no rust in the tank,and it runs on the old crappy stale gas in it lol. i dont think you have much to worry about other than the basics and no big ass spiders under the seat that will come out and bite you in the ass.

vic_himself 10-02-2011 02:51 PM

You guys forgot check chain tensioning check that shiat.